FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
topdog1961

Longer is better.

topdog1961

Last fall we got all new windows and a new patio door, so now we can actually see out from the living room and easily access the patio for drinks over a fire. Kayaking the river has exploded in popularity recently. However, since the leaves came on, we could only hear the paddlers on the river, not see them.  So I rented a Stihl pole saw.  Talk about a neat piece of equipment.  Does anyone own one?  If so, how are they on long term durability? It’s basically a 12 inch chainsaw blade on a long stick.  It expands out to 12-13 feet.  In about 6 hours I created enough mess to take 6 days to clean up.  It easily cut many large branches up to 8-10 inches in diameter.  Sunday morning I had a couple hours before church, so I decided to start the clean up by picking up some of the dead pine branches and burning them.  I didn’t want to get dressed then have to change again into church clothes, so I was literally picking up branches in my PJs and crocs.  Not a smart move, as I stepped on a pine branch and ran a stub into the bottom of my bare exposed ankle.  Ouch!  Dress for the job you idiot.

These saws are $600 and I seriously considered asking if the shop would apply my $55 all day rental towards the purchase of one.  But decided that I didn’t need another piece of equipment to maintain.  I should be able to keep the trees trimmed up in the future for the $33 three hour rental about once a year.  So I didn’t buy one, but I’d say come deer season when I’m trimming shooting lanes on my 10 stands with a manual pole saw, I’ll regret that. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Clueless1

Wow, nice set up.  What river is that?  We kayak the Kiskiminetas River over here in PA. 

topdog1961
8 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

Wow, nice set up.  What river is that?  We kayak the Kiskiminetas River over here in PA. 

The muddy Maumee. It runs from Fort Wayne to Toledo before dumping into Erie. I grew up runnig it's shores, fishing and hunting. So 23 years ago I bought a house on it. Last summer we had a dry spell and it got so clear you could see the fish and the bottom in several feet of water. I never saw that in all my life. This summer is more typical. It's not a beautiful Colorado or West Virginia river, but it's all we got. My house is about 25-30 feet above typical water levels. 

Clueless1

Ah, I lived very near the Cuyahoga for 11 years in Cuyahoga Falls actually).  I had to tell people there that it wasn't a river, it was a creek that Ohioans called a river:)

Generally this time of year on the Kiski there are spots we have to drag the kayaks a bit.  It is generally clear too and can see fish.  This river is a true testament to nature, as when I was growing up in the 80's I took a bus to school across it every day.  It was orange on the bottom and dead from acid mine drainage.  There are actually trout that live in in now.  If you would have told me that when I left here I would not have ever believed it.  

As to the pole saw, I have often thought of it but the price has always scared me away.  Now that I have a teenage son, I plan on him whining about getting one over the next few years:) 

gunsrus

Beautiful spot !

Fire Marshal Bill

Nice, great being by the water isn't it. I love It!!

WPG Gizmo

OK we use that saw at work and it sucks.  We cut a lot of stuff over the course of the year,  that whole saw is overly heavy you have to wear the harness if your going to be doing any cutting for a period of time otherwise it will kick your arse trying to horse it around and the biggest down side is the shaft that slides into the larger shaft you bend that and your done and it is easy to bend when extended.  I refuse to use this saw.

Now we do have another sthil pole saw this one is much lighter cuts as well if not better has a extra length that you attach if you want to have a long reach something we rarely use.  It is easy to lug round it does not wear you out after a few hours of use and you can get attachments to use like a weed wacker or power broom.  This is my go to saw always when I need a pole saw at work. 

Oh and for what its worth I thought that you were talking about those honking toes when you said longer is better 🤣

topdog1961
40 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

OK we use that saw at work and it sucks.  We cut a lot of stuff over the course of the year,  that whole saw is overly heavy you have to wear the harness if your going to be doing any cutting for a period of time otherwise it will kick your arse trying to horse it around and the biggest down side is the shaft that slides into the larger shaft you bend that and your done and it is easy to bend when extended.  I refuse to use this saw.

Now we do have another sthil pole saw this one is much lighter cuts as well if not better has a extra length that you attach if you want to have a long reach something we rarely use.  It is easy to lug round it does not wear you out after a few hours of use and you can get attachments to use like a weed wacker or power broom.  This is my go to saw always when I need a pole saw at work. 

Oh and for what its worth I thought that you were talking about those honking toes when you said longer is better 🤣

Yes it was heavy, and kicked my butt, but I got a lot done with it. The $600 new saw was a newer design and I didn't pick it up, but it looked lighter and suspect it is what you like.