FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
shinbone

Nosler M48 Liberty rifle in 26 Nosler (not for grouse!)

shinbone

(I know we usually talk about shotguns, but I know there's some rifle shooters, here, too)

I’ve got a .300 WSM that I really like.  3100 fps with 180 gr’ers.  Lot’sa bullet choices.  Works real well on elk.  Chambered in my lightweight Kimber Montana, the recoil is tolerable.   Great for chasing elk in the Rocky Mountains.  I’ve been wanting something smaller, though, for deer and antelope.  

I like the ballistics of the .264 Winchester Magnum.  I like buying used , but you don't see a lot of used rifles in .264 WinMag, and I am not a big fan of belted cartridges, anyway.  While surfing the web, the relatively new 26 Nosler caught my eye.  With a 130 gr bullet, Nosler loads the .264 WinMag at 3100 fps; and loads the 26 Nosler at 3400 fps.  Obviously, handloading will squeeze a little more velocity out of the cartridge.  The parent case is the rimless .404 Jeffery.  Hmmmm . . . no belt, a 10% bump in speed over an effective classic round, and backed by a well established ammo maker.  I was intrigued.

Nosler chambers their M48 Liberty rifle in 26 Nosler.  Both the round and the rifle get generally good reviews.  I was kind’a thinking maybe possibly a Liberty in 26 Nos might be worth getting sometime in the future and was holding off trying to be a responsible adult, I-don't-need-another-toy, etc., but then I learned Sportsmen’s Warehouse had’em on sale for a few hundred bucks off the regular price.  Beat Cabelas regular price by  $400.  My resistance melted.  A Liberty in 26 Nosler is now sitting on my work bench while a new pair of Talley Lightweight mounts make their way to me.  I am thinking a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40mm should be a good scope for it.

No doubt the cartridge is a barrel burner, but I will consider myself a lucky man if I go on enough hunts to ever wear out the barrel.

Anyway, just curious if any UJ’ers have experience with either the Liberty rifle or the 26 Nosler cartridge?

IMG_3492-L.jpg

IMG_3493-L.jpg

Chukarman

The various 6.5 mm cartridges have become the latest rage in rifle shooting. I have had a 6.5 for decades and like it well enough. My main big game rifle has been a 7mm magnum. for some years. Lots of noise and recoil, but 160 grn Noslers or Bitterroots it kills elk just fine. if you are considering a bolt gun, look also at the Montana Rifle Company. Nice rifles, reasonable price, lots of chamberings.

I decided recently to build another rifle and opted for .257 Roberts. Good ballistics (100 grn Noslers at 3100 fps), a lot less fire and brimstone, and it can weigh in at 6.5 lbs. excellent for deer, antelope, javelina, and coyotes. All good for me.

CodyM

I'm interested to see how you like it. It was on my short list for a hunting cartridge. The recoil, barrel life and I hear they can be a bit finicky to load development so I went with a 280 AI instead. I love the ballistics on the 26, it's a Ferrari for sure!