154.JPG

Brad Eden

Recent Topic on Dog Vests:

Quig

I tried the search but had trouble loading. Thank you for listing it

Brad Eden
1 hour ago, Quig said:

I tried the search but had trouble loading. Thank you for listing it

Wierd, should just open to that Topic. Anyhow here is my offering on that earlier Topic:

IMG_0168.JPG

I hunt in typical northeast cover with barbed wire, slash and other sharp things. I probably should use the dog vest on every hunt but I don't, so can't say if it would rub him raw. I do use it during firearm deer season for obvious reasons, and also in late season because with the liver and white coloration he literally disappears in snowy woods. Cabelas Rip Stop Dog Vest. It's held up well, really protects the chest and stomach, but again it doesn't see constant use.

Mike da Carpenter

The chef at work gave me his old dog’s neoprene vest.  He had a small lab.  Levi (my GSP) HATES the thing, but come this winter when my wife walks him, it’s either the neoprene vest, or one that she knits him.   I’m pretty sure the neoprene is going to get destroyed while hunting, and I’ll end up getting something with a much better skid plate.  On a side note, my boys have asked me to NEVER wear the hat their Mom knitted me while I’m in public with them.  

mccuha

I have a very light  weight coudura vest I have been using for my gsp.  It’s only use is to be able to see her being she’s so darkly marked.  Far my labs and Boykin I used a Mack’s prairie wing neoprene vest when it was very cold.  Other than for these reasons I’ve never seen the need for a vest. 

Buddy Knox

I have used a Skid Plate on my GSPs for many years.  They've been tough and long lasting.  Knock on wood, I have not had a major chest or belly injury on a dog wearing one and I hunt around a lot of barbed wire, old farm implements, and various other stickers, stabbers, and cutters.   I just bought another one for my new pup to grow into.

Skid Plate

SARGENT

I prefer a skid plate over a vest that has actual leg holes.  There seems to be less rubbing and chaffing with a skid plate. I have also found that skid plates don't hold as much debris as a vest.

I have seen guys custom cut the leg holes in dog vests and have good results.  

studdog

K9 Topcoat.  Best protection out there.