FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
quailguy

Military Use of Shotguns

GB Jack
12 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Now there's a man I'd love to spend a few hours around a camp fire with . Imagine the stories he could tell ? 

I’d be as interested in thebatiies he can’t . Those guys are a different breed . My cousin rang out of buds , he was the toughest animal I’ve been met, I cannot imagine what the guys who made it were / are like . 

quailguy
19 hours ago, Cold Iron said:

I retired from the Navy, never did see any Model 12's, we had Ithaca 37's. Until they took them away from us along with the M14's and 45's. Don't get me started. They replaced the 37's with Mossberg 500's and 870's. Most of us avoided the 500 if we could. About the time I retired 20 years ago they started to bring the Benelli's in.

The Ithaca 37 was the first shotgun of the then newly formed Navy SEALs in the early 60's. Chief James Watson had China Lake Weapons Station build a a pistol grip on his duckbill 37 for him. The original blueprints of the duckbill sold not long ago for quite a bit, the duckbill and development was moved to CRANE not long after development in China Lake.

SEAL Chief Crane liked and used 000 buckshot in Vietnam, and the duckbill 37. Said the enemy never complained about either after being shot and it worked well in the jungle. Last I knew he is still alive.

DSC01975.jpg?w=2000&ssl=1

Yes indeed, this is a man I would love to listen to around a campfire.

And I never heard of a duckbill M-37 before; easy to see how it got that name.

Longrifle

We had two twelve gauge Mossberg Model 500s in each platoon in Iraq, 2003-2005.  We used 9 shot as breaching loads, as they were much less lethal to any civilians on the other side of a door.  I also shot pigeons with them.  I took the gunners to the skeet ranges on base before deploying, as none had ever shot a moving target.  The combat loads were buckshot, but we carried a handful of 9's as they came in handy for all sorts of things. I hear they are good pheasant loads, too. The guys added side saddle carriers and mad max slings and all sorts of crap, the ones we were issued had both straight stocks and pistol grips in the kits, no shrouds or bayonet lugs or anything to differentiate them from US civilian 20 inch models.  Likely off the shelf, as Uncle Sam was buying a lot of supplemental gear for an asymmetrical fight.  They were not marked 590, but 500.  The other squads that didn't get the shotguns carried a marksmanship rifle; an M-14 with a 20 power scope, the mountings of which immediately failed.

LabHunter
On 8/5/2018 at 7:04 PM, GB Jack said:

I’d be as interested in thebatiies he can’t . Those guys are a different breed . My cousin rang out of buds , he was the toughest animal I’ve been met, I cannot imagine what the guys who made it were / are like . 

I used to work with a couple ex Seals and a Army Ranger.   They were all really good people.  You'd never know the Seals did what they did...they are always positive, great team players.