FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Crazy Horse

Fausti DEA Replacement Stock:

lee sykes
6 minutes ago, Crazy Horse said:

So then the only difference between French, English or Turkish walnut is the location where it grows?

I believe Claro (thanks for the correction) is a cross between French and Black walnut, or so I think.

1.  You can't be sure where it's grown.   They grow English walnut in California.   2. Claro is a subspecies of American Black Walnut grown on the west coast.  It is not a hybrid though there is a French\ Black walnut hybrid. It is called Bastogne. 

Crazy Horse
3 hours ago, lee sykes said:

1.  You can't be sure where it's grown.   They grow English walnut in California.   2. Claro is a subspecies of American Black Walnut grown on the west coast.  It is not a hybrid though there is a French\ Black walnut hybrid. It is called Bastogne. 

Bastogne...that must be the one i was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification.

hayslope

Thin shell walnut.......commonly called English walnut (and not referring to where it was grown!).  Fausti picked a nice example......as they should have, given the issues you've been dealing with!!!!

grouse28

I like your butt, John. (stock)

Grifish

Try not to break this one!

tut

Claro is what they used to stick on all the Weatherby Shotguns and rifles years and years ago.  Can be amazingly colorful, but can also be fairly porous as well.  Didn't matter to Weatherby because they had that sprayed on thick poly finish.  Didn't as a rule checker very well because how soft it was.  Lots of Parker Reproductions were stocked with Claro with the rest being stocked in California English.  The Fausti looks like Turkish to me on the restock with really nice layout. 

Crazy Horse

Tut, I know all about those "Poly" finish's. I have a 20 gauge Winchester Pigeon Grade with great wood that when first bought (1987) was too long for me and I had to cut about 1/2 inch off the but and about 1/4 inch off of the comb to get it to fit me. Once I cut the stock, of course I had to refinish the butt stock. Getting that Poly finish off the wood was shear hell. I finally had to use a piece of sharp glass to scrape it off. Those thick liquid paint removers hardly did anything. I hand rubbed the wood and NEVER attempted to refinish the forend.

Win Pigeon.jpg

lee sykes

Those 101 Pigeons were pretty guns. I had one in 20 gauge in the straight grip configuration.