FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Chad Linder

Roadtrip Review: Colorado and East Utah

Chad Linder

My wife, 2 kids (12 and 7) and I rolled out of BR around 2:30 on a Friday afternoon.  When we left we only had Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights booked.  We were gone 9 nights and drove a little under 4k miles

We drove to Albuquerque and got a room on Saturday morning, took a nap a visited the town, there wasn't much that caught our interest.  

There is a recap at the bottom. 

Hotair ballons over Albuquerque on Sunday Morning

zxNfox.jpg

Got up early on Sunday morning, drove to 4 corners (intersection of Utah, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico)  Cost was $5 per person to the tribe and got a few pictures.  We were close enough where I am glad we made the 30 minute stop. Next stop was Mesa Verde National Park.   We had reservations at the hotel on the National Park for the night.  We were able to get tour tickets to view one of the ancestral pueblo cliff dwelling locations on Sunday afternoon and the second site on Monday morning.

Cliff Palace at Mesa Verde

YVXspF.jpg

View from our room:  

81LIyP.jpg

Wildlife at Mesa Verde:

kMNw68.jpg

mEdWKI.jpg

Balcony House, you had to travel down stairs then up a ladder to enter Balcony House then had to climb out after the tour was completed.

wWrMeZ.jpg

vKjj6I.jpg

bi9ASC.jpg

RKMhTq.jpg

After we left Mesa Verde on Monday morning, we stopped in Durango for Lunch then took the Million Dollar Hwy north to Telluride.  

Molas Pass,10,910' part of the Million Dollar Hwy 

p1UZcZ.jpg

We stayed in Telluride for Monday and Tuesday nights.  The town was great and we didn't really have a lot of plans here.  We ate well, and rested.  

Sl46LL.jpg

Origianl bar in one of the hotels from the 1800's

8LHIAO.jpg

My daughter is turning 7 and wanted to white water rafter, the issue is she is small at less than 50lbs and options were limited.  We headed west to Moab Utah to raft on the Colorado River and visit Arches Nation Park and Canyonlands National Park on Wednesday stayed in Moab Wednesday night and did a 1/2 day rafting trip on Thursday monring.  

Arches National Park:

hIug5M.jpg

rAduzQ.jpg

3DKlou.jpg

Canyonlands National Park:

fxtE3x.jpg

pHNxun.jpg

NjgiND.jpg

a18Xah.jpg

Colorado River Rafting:

GZhc7j.jpg

yUd6Xc.jpg

After rafting, we got on i-70 and headed east and got a room in Idaho Springs for the night (closest town to Mt. Evans)  We did Mt. Evans and on Friday morning then headed north to Rocky Mountain National Park.  

Mt Evans:

2qwwHq.jpg

zr6qjp.jpg

SaPj5j.jpg

68BCKD.jpg

3sb7OE.jpg

GFTsQW.jpg

TaMIbf.jpg

u7LH4V.jpg

udcRO0.jpg

Top of Mt. Evans, you can drive to 14,100' and a short hike to the top is 14,258.

GPCr4Y.jpg

Rocky Mountain National Park:

We saw a moose cow with 2 calves, another moose cow and a few elk. 

Q4Bkz1.jpg

hkGKv5.jpg

XJm1cv.jpg

ENZfe9.jpg

YqvN2B.jpg

After Rocky Mountain, we headed for home.  Stopped in a little town in east Colorado along i-70 Friday night and then drove 18 hours to get home early Sunday morning.