FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Bird Buster

How and When do you Decide it's Time to Sell?

Bird Buster

Just curious what thought process and rational decides when it's time to part ways with a firearm? Is decision based on possibly new gun purchase, sentimental value or guns worth? I am at a point now where if I don't shoot it much it goes down the road to fund another purchase or help pay the Bills.

jbrooster

Whenever my wife decides to renovate the house AGAIN.

Brad Eden

Same as you. I only sell Firearms when I need the money, and I don't use that particular firearm much and if it doesn't hold sentimental value.

mart

I only have a few with great sentimental value so I tend to sell guns as my interests shift and I decide I want a different gun. I was enamored of classic semi auto rifles for awhile. I ended up with a Remington model 8 25 Remington, a Winchester 401 Self Loader and a Ruger 44 Carbine. That interest has waned so they'll go down the road to fund something else.

WyomingArt

Intent : sitting in the safe unused,  or I don't hunt that type of game  or target anymore, they go. 

Reality: thinking to self, maybe I'll do another elk hunt, maybe the grand kids will need an "x" ( they don't), maybe I really do need a .44 mag,  maybe the price will go up,, maybe my wife will try shooting  clays after 29 years....

WPG Gizmo

I am sitting on 2 guns right now that are ready to go as others have taken there place and possibly I have 2 others.  The 2 that are going are a 20Ga 870 that I set up strictly for Turkeys and a H&R Ultra Slug deer gun as I just picked up one gun that replaces both of those.  The 2 I am thinking on are both high end guns so those might stick around longer.

Normally if it has been in the safe for over a year and I have not taken it out to shoot it is on the chopping block 

KerryLuft

More than a year without being used ... gone, unless there is sentimental value.

25/06
24 minutes ago, KerryLuft said:

More than a year without being used ... gone, unless there is sentimental value.

cold.jpg.a1f44907343737e661731f0822d51937.jpg

Spoken like a true sporting clays junkie!:ph34r::D

Probably just buy more bullets!:D

Bird Buster

Interesting responses I am leaning towards that one year rule on a gun right now to fund another purchase. 

Iver

I have yet to sell a firearm.   I am watching with interest something i don't understand.

Windrider

I’m going through the purge right now.

I had some pretty serious neck surgery about 8 years ago.  Finally accepted the permanent limitations.  No more big game hunting, shooting prone, heavy shotguns,  or high recoil 12ga Steel loads for me.  3 down 8 to go.

After this, it’s sentimental value or 2 years without shooting. 

Selling all of this could fund a sweet little 16 or 28.

walt lister

When I turned 80.

Curt
5 minutes ago, walt lister said:

When I turned 80.

I was going to say that often age plays a role in those decisions.  I'm not as old as Walt but not all that far behind either and that was part of my reason for selling off most of my guns.  The other reason was that I was gone from the house up to six months every year and didn't like the idea of the possibility of a break-in.  Dreams of thieves hauling off my overloaded gun safe while I was fishing in Florida tended to keep me awake at times.  Add to that the fact that many of those guns hadn't been fired in years and were only taken out of the safe for cleaning and wipe downs helped make the decision to sell a bit easier.

Jack L

I limit myself by only having so much room in the gun cabinet.  When I decide on something I' d rather have more than what I already own, I make space in the cabinet by sale or trade of the less desirable gun(s). I have crammed the cabinet full so no more unless something else goes.  It's survival of the fittest , a Darwinian type of thing.

I may sour on a gun because I don't shoot it very often or I don't like it for some reason.  Sometimes a gun is just too ugly. 

There are some guns that will probably never leave, others that are probation.

mark

The answer is different for everyone. As a gun dealer I see gun hoarders that never sell a gun. I see collectors that only sell to build their collection. I see shooters that trade to get the next one that will be the magic next gun to make them shoot 100 straight . I see accumulators that sell or trade to get the next one they have never had before. I see guys that don't have a lot of guns at once but may trade or buy a dozen guns a year .  Some guys claim they need to start selling of their collection at 50 and other are just getting into buying at 75. 

So do what your wants, needs and wallet allow!