FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Bird Buster

How and When do you Decide it's Time to Sell?

C.J.L.

I personal see no use for a pile of guns.  I used to have "things" and "toys" now I just like going on trips.  Ultimately I'll get it down to one high end two barrel set 16ga SXS sidelock. I might keep my AYA #2 I've have for 25 years also if my son doesn't take it.  Everything else is just unnecessary in my life these days.   Guess what I'm saying is I'd rather have one $25,000 gun than $25,000 worth of guns. 

kgb

Lack of use is most common for me, but it's not foolproof. A couple Sweet 16s, one Lt-20 and one Magnum-20, a DU Sweet 16 and a Grade II standard A5 had to come and go before a keeper unmarked Sweet 16 landed. The DU gun was just too heavy but the rest wound up not being used. An unmarked Sweet 16 3-shot with 2 3/4" chamber came along and I bought it to try out, but it wasn't going to replace the keeper gun. 

I don't shoot my A5 very much, but know if I sell it I'll just start looking for another one. 

Two Barrels
2 hours ago, Iver said:

I have yet to sell a firearm.   I am watching with interest something i don't understand.

I felt as you do for a long time.  Very rarely will I sell a gun.  I have sold two in the past month.  It has been years since I sold one.  The two I sold had not been used in over two years and held no sentimental value.  Those funds went towards purchases of others that I think I will use.

Hammergun
55 minutes ago, mark said:

The answer is different for everyone. As a gun dealer I see gun hoarders that never sell a gun. I see collectors that only sell to build their collection. I see shooters that trade to get the next one that will be the magic next gun to make them shoot 100 straight . I see accumulators that sell or trade to get the next one they have never had before. I see guys that don't have a lot of guns at once but may trade or buy a dozen guns a year .  Some guys claim they need to start selling of their collection at 50 and other are just getting into buying at 75. 

So do what your wants, needs and wallet allow!

Truer words have never been more spoken. It’s so different for all of us in different places.  I have a lot of guns from my late fathers collection that I haven’t shot or haven’t shot in a while. I have the same doubts about oh wow maybe I will go back to big game hunting and need that .375 H&H or .300 Mag. or well

maybe I don’t know if I should keep that  Model 21 that I really don’t use or even like but it has sentimental value. We all are on different journeys. 

bennelli-banger

I will sell at a point when i think I am doing my future widow a favor..my boys don't care about guns.  It would be kind of cool to have a geographic panel on this board that one could turn to (the widow could) that would assist in directing her to certain dealers, or at a minimum, to help her understand what she has been left with.  maybe a % could go to this site...I don't have a lot of friends in my area who are double gun guys...a few, for sure...but this board has a vast amount of knowledge, and also, straight-shooters...

OldSarge

I spend way too much time browsing auction sites, reading gun rags, and drooling over some of the pics of guns on sites like this. I generally have a pretty good idea what guns are going for and also know a good deal when I stumble across one. I enjoy shooting and trying out new gun designs and different models. I like taking them apart and admiring the engineering. I’m a gun crank. I sell when i need to finance a new interest. I have a small group of family heirloom guns that will never get sold. I’m lucky that I do have a daughter and grandkids who do shoot and hunt so I have started pushing some of those guns to them. 

salmontogue

The operational word here is procrastination.  Over three decades in the gun business as a second job has left me with a significant number of guns that live their existence mostly in the darkness of secure storage.  It is time to consider thinning the flock and keeping what will likely be used at least occasionally.  My accumulation is stored in three double door fireproof bank vaults that were acquired during the merger of two banks.

This may sound strange, has nothing to do with dementia and really is silly but I cannot come up with a total figure and have "discovered" some that have been long forgotten.  It is that bad and that tells me it is time to divest. 

I started the process last fall when I sold my entire Schuetzen collection, seven pieces, to a long-time friend and collector in NC.  I had fun with them while it lasted but I lost interest.  It happens.  During that process, I came to the conclusion that four or five benchrest/varminter type rifles was more than enough.  I sold the other five and kept a Rem 40XBBR, Win M70 in .264 and three custom built bench rifles in 22-250, .308 and .338 Lapua.  From there I moved on to military rifles.  I kept one each 1903 Spfld, M1 Carbine and M1D Garand.  All the rest, way too many, went down the road to folks who would value them more than me.

My August/September project deals with shotguns, double barrel and single barrel, from many of the well-known names.  My wife delivered three Foxes and a Smith (Pin gun, CE, DE and Specialty grade) to a collector in MD and two near mint Sterlys and a Parker VHE to his brother in another state while she was visiting relatives.  I have two Smiths and an Ithaca NID headed for TX.  As the flock thins, each additional divestiture becomes more painful. 

This process is probably going to take several years but it is necessary and long overdue.  Interestingly, none of this was encouraged by my very patient wife.

Darn but I hate this.  I will, of course, use some of the proceeds for several additional guns but at least the net number will be smaller.

Perk

Cheesy

I figure I’ll let my wife figure it out. She knows guns somewhat. She at least knows who to talk to out of my friends and family. Hopefully my 5 year old daughter and 7 year old son make it easy on her and just split them up. I’ve got 40 or 50 years to figure it out though. 

salmontogue
1 minute ago, Cheesy said:

I figure I’ll let my wife figure it out. She knows guns somewhat. She at least knows who to talk to out of my friends and family. Hopefully my 5 year old daughter and 7 year old son make it easy on her and just split them up. I’ve got 40 or 50 years to figure it out though. 

Rub it in....laughing.

Perk

tut

Interesting.  I bumped into a pretty big Fox collector over the weekend who has been selling off guns for about 3 years.  Some Foxes, a lot of Winchester Model 12's with the solid rib and a pile of Ithaca NID 32" duck guns.  Asked him how the sale was going and was he now not buying.  His reply, was there's 82 in the various gun safes right now and he is thinning the herd.  I asked was he done buying and he said no, he was always looking to scratch the itch.   Had a lead on a rare high grade Fox he was about to drive 3 hours to take a look at this week.  "The Force is strong in this one". 

salmontogue
22 minutes ago, tut said:

Interesting.  I bumped into a pretty big Fox collector over the weekend who has been selling off guns for about 3 years.  Some Foxes, a lot of Winchester Model 12's with the solid rib and a pile of Ithaca NID 32" duck guns.  Asked him how the sale was going and was he now not buying.  His reply, was there's 82 in the various gun safes right now and he is thinning the herd.  I asked was he done buying and he said no, he was always looking to scratch the itch.   Had a lead on a rare high grade Fox he was about to drive 3 hours to take a look at this week.  "The Force is strong in this one". 

My obsession was driven by a love for firearms going back to my childhood but really was rocket fueled by being in the business with access to a lot of nice pieces at extremely attractive prices.  Who can turn down a "bargain" particularly when it is cradled in your hands?

I sold the gun business a dozen years ago.  I really miss some of the people, both customers, wholesalers and manufacturers, but the reality is that I now live on the edge of the Great North Woods and would seldom see any of those folks without a lot of driving back and forth.

One thing I learned in the business is that certain firearms sell better according to regions of the country.  Nice collectible doubles sell better in what I call Tidewater states, NY/NJ, TX and the west coast.  That is not an absolute but it certainly is average although, periodically the states of UT, MN, WI and MI provide spirited buyers.  New England may have more saturation of American double guns and, accordingly, the market is softer.

My goal is to reduce the "pile" to one safe.  I have a stretch to go.

Perk

Upland_Hunter

When the gun remains in the safe used for a 8 year period..................

Fishnfowler

I have been placed on an absolute gun buying freeze by the boss, but I was able to negotiate a contingency.  I can buy a gun if I sell one.  Someone took an Ithaca 37 off my hands on this site several years ago and a lovely SxS sits in it's place.

FlyChamps

Judy and I will be moving into a nice retirement community in about 2 - 2.5 years, yes we're at that stage of life.  We'll have about 1,750 square feet in our apartment, which is a little more than our current house, but we will have space for only one of our safes holding 14 long guns and 10 handguns.  I put the guns I planned on keeping in the 14 gun safe and was happy - then Judy found a 20 gauge Grulla she really liked so I moved my 24 gauge hammer gun to the "it'll be sold" safe.  I'm still happy because Judy really, really likes the Grulla and shoots it well.

I still have 6 long guns to sell but none of them have sentimental value or fit into my current desires.  While I always want a fair price for my assets, I've never needed to sell anything I've ever owned because I needed the money.