FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Woodcock_chaser

Do you feed your dogs once a day or twice a day

Woodcock_chaser

I have been wondering if its better to feed the dogs once or twice a day, I never feed them right before a hunt but was curious what others a do and why.

terrym

Mine are free fed. When the bowl is empty I fill it. They tend to feed in the evening around dinner time. Never had a dog get fat or over eat. They walk away from the bowl when they're satisfied. If I fed once a day it would be in the evening after running/hunting. 

Ray Gubernat

I also free feed my dogs.   Pointers.  They are in outdoor kennels and each has a 25# capacity feeder. 

They eat pretty much when they want.  I have one spayed female who is a little chunkier than I like, but she is 12 and is pretty much retired, so...whatever.

The rest of them stay pretty close to fit.   I like it when I can "just" see  a hint of rib. 

RayG

gunsrus

Twice 6am and 4pm . Hunting season only once a couple hours after the hunt .

tut
13 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Twice 6am and 4pm . Hunting season only once a couple hours after the hunt .

What Al said.  If I fed Sophie once a day she would be as irritable as me.   PS.  Different during hunting days.  In that case only evening feeding.  Double PS.  If she sees me wearing my hunting clothes she doesn't give a rats arse about about her morning feeding. 

QuailhunterNZ

Once a day in the evening when they're locked into their kennels for the night ( they have a quarter acre pen they run around during the day unless they are hunting or with me around the farm ) If they've had a big day they get 20% more in their night feed.

MDash2

Current pointing dog might eat once, twice a day or not at all. We stopped trying to figure it out. If she is hungry she will stand over her food bowl and if we don't respond quick enough she will start pushing the bowl around on the floor. 

Fire Marshal Bill

I free feed. But generally I fill the bowl in the evening and it's usually gone by noon the next day. But I don't refill the bowl until evening. 

Treerooster

I free feed also. During the season I will boil up the hearts gizzards and some liver of the birds I get and put that and the juice on some dry food. I only feed that in the evening after the hunt.

The biggest benefit to free or self feeding, IMO, is food is just not a big deal to my dogs. No dog gulps their food and no fights whatsoever over food. 

DocE

Twice a day.

1/3 in the morning and 2/3 in the evening.

You can't free feed most Labradors ------  They could eat an entire bag and still want more.

Cass

Once in the evening. 

ryanr

Twice a day normally. On hunting or training days they get fed once, in the evening.

bmeador

Once in the evening. Everybody gets a piece of hotdog or a dasuquin treat (over 5 y.o.) in AM as I put my hands on them before I've got to go if we aren't training.

J_ellard

Once a day in the evening. I put it down and they finish in 5-10 minutes. Lab, GSP & a Boykin.

And that's a true statement about the labs without  doubt!! 

Mike da Carpenter

Twice a day for my GSP.  2 cups in under 2 minutes.  Used to be 24 seconds till I got one of those Bowles with the dividers in it.