FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Coalman

Dragon Flies

Coalman

Wow do we have a good dragon fly hatch in coastal NH. I noticed it last week.

Went to the Farm to do some maintenance on the tractor last evening. I bet I could see a thousand dragon flies.

The mosquitoes have been brutal there this summer. Last night they didn't bite, they didn't light.

Love those dragon flies.

How about you? Got dragon flies?

Hub

There seems to be a decent amount around me.  I was listening to a naturalist on a radio show the other week who talked about how it's dragon flies that really consume the lions share of mosquitoes as compared to bats.  For a while folks were putting up bat houses in an efforts to reduce their mosquitoes population, but bats tend to focus more on dragonflies so the action was having an unintended affect.  I wonder with the drastic fall in bat population due to 'white nose' if dragonfly population are spiking upwards?  A few springs ago I was canoe camping on an island when the dragonflies hatched out.  It was such a cool thing to see.

walt lister

Don't have many here in the desert. Don't have many mosquitoes either. Do see them around scattered stock ponds, amazing bug, fly sideways, backwards etc, fun to watch. I like them now but didn't always. When I was four or five some older kid told me that they had a needle in their tail and that they could sew my mouth shut!! I was terrified of them for a while 'till my father enlightened me.   

Irishwhistler

663518440_DSC06833_FotorWHEREDRAGONSDWELL-1.thumb.jpg.cbeae744ed183dd6263da1fe1fdfbb5b.jpg

We have them and I love them.

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Brad Eden

I haven't seen many, but did also hear somewhere else, that there is an abundance this year. Cool winged critters.

Irishwhistler

664141817_DSC06826BUGEYED_Fotor-1.thumb.jpg.b0da28640449121f9c2d8e8f886bfef1.jpg

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

Irishwhistler

WINGED AZURE

37684019_DSC06809WINGEDGEM_Fotor-1.thumb.jpg.a3ca1ca6901c12b8a0eaa0bdbabe4e40.jpg

Mike 🍀🇮🇪🇺🇸

ccavacini

Don't have many around here (but lots of barn swallows and Martins.)  But up in Canada where we fish, they fly by the thousands.  Eat lots of bugs.  I watch them and wonder how they avoid flying in to each other.

Remo

There was a good hatch here in early July, faded out now but there is usually another in a month. It is surprising to me that some years different species seem more prevalent. They are beautiful creatures. 

Hettmoe

Yeah, my Dad always called them “Mosquito Hawks!” I have always been fascinated by watching them gather in the mosquitos 😎