FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
sxsneubaum

Ever have this happen??

mart

I've seen wads strike the skeet targets several times over the years. Usually a high house one or a low house seven. I did see a high house four get hit last winter by a wad and it did not break. I think I've seen them not break more often than I have seen them break from a wad. We had a fellow out once who had never shot skeet in his life and despite a lot of patient coaching from a couple of very experienced shooters he couldn't hit a target. His only broken target was a low house seven which the center was broke out after the wad landed in the middle of the outgoing target. Strangest wad strike I ever saw.

Dave in Maine

Once I shot a pheasant, a straight going-away shot, that had the wad stuck in the feathers on his rump.  He was pretty easy to clean, too, seeing as how the shot pellets had done a lot of that for me.

Ruger1
On 8/9/2018 at 8:28 AM, sxsneubaum said:

Started to shoot skeet again.  Because I shoot live birds for dog training I use my L.C. Smith, I don't want to switch back and forth between guns.  Did that once, my dogs did not like the result.  The barrels are NOT choked for skeet, they are choked Mod and Full.  Let's say my scores show this, but my bird shooting is better. 

Last night shooting the low house #7.  Good sight picture, fired, and watched the wad hit the clay bird, but the target didn't break.  The guys I was shooting with couldn't believe the target didn't break.  Me either.

As I'm sure you know the wad is no predictor of your shot pattern. The ballistic influences on a group of heavy and more or less  spherical lead balls differs markedly  from those on a light weight non-ballistic piece of soft plastic. There was, most likely, a hole in your shot pattern large enough for the bird to escape through untouched. Back in the early days of sporting clays clubs would often have  a "fun" presentation on the last station. Two orange birds and a white "hen pheasant" were released together. If you broke the "hen" your score was penalized. The birds would be released more or less linear/side by side to each other. It was not common but certainly not rare for one shot to break both orange birds but leave the center "hen pheasant" unscathed, much to the delight of the shooter and the groans of the rest of his squad. 

Ruger1

dogrunner
7 hours ago, Longrifle said:

This is why I use tracers

Ah yes the Tracker. 😉

76C08B13-EC34-4984-9560-D019A1FC0665.jpeg