FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
whiskyjack

My new vest arrived today!

whiskyjack

For the last few years, I have wanted to acquire one of Filson's upland vests. Often the one I wanted was on back order or not avail anymore etc. Filson is hard to find in Canada as well.

I finally pulled the trigger a few days ago while on their website.

I decided to order the Tin Cloth Game Bag vest. This afternoon, the Fed Ex truck delivered it to my house, wife had the box sitting in my chair when I got home from work. So far, I am very impressed with my purchase. It appears very well made, the fit is excellent, something I have difficulty with.

With our season only a couple of weeks away, I can't wait to get out there and put a few birds in the bag. I may even have it pull double duty as my small stream fly vest next year.

Jeff

Rick (VA)

Hope you enjoy it. I’ve been looking at one of those to replace my 1980’s Filson vest. Too hot for here in Va.

Brad H

I have that vest and I really like it. I am kind of a minimalist and like the simple design of the Filson game bag. I have had it for a few years now and it is holding up really well. I think that you will be happy with it. Here is my vest after a nice day out Quail Hunting. 

IMG_2911.JPG

NECarson

I've got the Filson Pro Guide vest. I absolutely love it. 

Those tin cloth ones are nice too. 

Wirehair

I've had my filson game vest 20 years now. Obviously I really like it. Simple but it works. Sent it in to Filson about 10 years ago to have a new shoulder strap sewn on cause a dog chewed it up. The vest also had a few wear and tear holes in it so i asked if the could fix them too.  Filson actually wanted to just send me a new vest for no charge. I told them I liked the worn in look and feel so after begging a  little they decided to fix my vest free of charge.

Chukarman

I used Filson vests and gamebags for years. Bob at Wingworks sent me a early vest - I tried it out and haven't used the Filson since.

Before...

1878114614_Img0008.thumb.jpg.8810f0d811d26aa1ed9630023e8ef607.jpg

After...

1727636509_Prairiechickenpoint.thumb.jpg.4f2f889b8d31c159f5743ee2cbf6e04b.jpg

SODAKer

I also used a filson strap vest, actually wore it out. I repaired it and cut the straps and sewed in a shoulder section neoprene strap, and kept using it. The neoprene straps helped tremendously with the load distribution and comfort. When I was finished with it, I sent the vest to filson and offered up the idea. Never heard anything back, lol. Switched over to a Wings Works vest and just stuck with it. 

BTW, the Filson is really nice for short hunts that don't require carrying the extra stuff. Bullet proof. 

oak stob

Filson still makes good strap vests, possibly not of an expedition level or for sherpa loads, but good stuff.

However, they have gone to more bells and whistles and orange....one works around the bad bits.

I have quite plain and dandy brown pheasant vest...Rusty Duck or some such name.....incredibly simple, old school and imminently satisfying.

“Please, Sir, may I have more”.... simple.

*Re Filson...at one time one could order Filson w/o the fabric treatments.....made for a cooler vest.

Not sure if that service is offered today.

Korthaar
On 8/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, Brad H said:

I have that vest and I really like it. I am kind of a minimalist and like the simple design of the Filson game bag. I have had it for a few years now and it is holding up really well. I think that you will be happy with it. Here is my vest after a nice day out Quail Hunting. 

IMG_2911.JPG

I see what you did there....hiding that vest under all those birds ;)

whiskyjack

I have been away on holidays the last week or so. Visiting family in Branson Mo so not much time to hang out online. Figured I best check in tonight though.

Thanks for all the replies/experiences about the Filson vest. I am looking forward to getting out and trying it out. It should work well for the usual, short hunts I do in the early season. For longer ones, I'll continue to use my Browning vest as it has plenty of carrying capacity. I'll likely upgrade a later date to another full vest for longer days.

Brad H, that is a very cool picture.

Jeff