FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
boutdoors4

Alpha 100

boutdoors4

Got my Alpha 100 with the tt15 collar the other day and have been getting familiar with it . I bought the refurbished one from Outdoor Dog Supply for $649.95 no tax free shipping.  A few observations, the touch screen is very sensitive, while trying to scroll down menu  I kept opening items on the list. They give you one charger which is not enough when both the collar and hand held need to be charged, I found an old charger I had with the USB port so now I can charge both at the same time. As usual some of the instructions are a bit vague but was able to figure them out. Sadie my Brit has a small neck and the collar seems to fit her ok on a preliminary test fit on her, but will wait to see if I have to get the mini collar for a better fit. If anyone else has their own observations on this setup I would like to hear about it. Almost forgot, got a nice Garmin bag and several extra antenna. Another note, could not get clear information on collar size so opted to buy the tt15 and if it did not fit Sadie I could always use it for Ryder my older male Brit and buy her the mini.

Robert

Cooter Brown

When you buy it from the factory it comes with a splitter so you can charge the collar and the handheld at the same time on the same charger.  You should call the people you got it from and ask if they forgot to include it.  Or buy a splitter from somebody like Gun Dog supply.  I'd feel more comfortable with a splitter in the dedicated charger than plugging it into a USB in a wall outlet.

boutdoors4

You're right, found the splitter in all  the packaging, they have so much stuff! Thanks! Also put a screen protector on to keep it from getting scratches. I have a few Onyx chips I can use the hand held. Getting ready for WY trip in late Sept!

Cooter Brown

Excellent.  As it comes from the factory it's a very well thought out and put together product.

It should also have come with a car charger--with another splitter and collar cradle thingy you'll be able to charge in the vehicle without digging through the bag.   I keep a setup in the console during the season.

boutdoors4

Yes have that

Becassier

Recommend staying with the regular TT15 collar if at all possible for the simple reason that it has more battery life than the mini - and if you ever need to recover your pup, you will want as much battery life as possible...

Also, if you need to tighten the collar another inch or so, let me know.  There is a way to modify the strap to achieve that, but I would have to take a picture of mine to explain how to do it and I am not in a position to do that now.  

boutdoors4

Ok , thanks for the tip

dogrunner

I have both collars and through a day the mini never went dead, plus it is a lot smaller and works better on smaller dogs. 

chilly460

Do the refurbished units come with new batteries?  I'm deciding between new and refurbed.