2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Uplander

I Hit the Reset Button

Uplander

It has been a crazy couple of months, with a ton of travel for work, and my weekends fully booked as well.  Today I finally had the chance to decompress.  Baxter and I spent the day slogging around the Glastenbury Wilderness; no trails, no cell service, no people, not a hint of civilization.

At one point we broke out into a forest clearing that had a number of red raspberry canes that still held fruit.  Opening my trusty rucksack, I scavenged up a couple of empty ziplock bags and managed to gather about a cup or two of berries so ripe they mushed under their own weight. I’ll mush them fully and freeze for topping vanilla ice cream some frigid winter’s eve.

Baxter put up a litter of pa'tridge in the clearning as well, gorging, I’m sure, on the berries.  I bet raspberry fed grouse is darn tasty!

709D3D99-154B-4302-8CE2-997DC528BBAA.jpeg

21B475C5-6BE6-4FA7-822D-D7F63234D634.jpeg

8C101D0E-8E73-4A17-B5D5-D57A6C6474A2.jpeg

1177B2AC-8BF5-48E0-83FE-2C07F37CD0DC.jpeg

14F3CF3D-B8D3-406C-9391-50C8B7C24310.jpeg

BDF372E4-6F07-4600-BF80-2C6B0A0F94F8.jpeg

atticus

Sounds great--did you cast a fly in that brook?

WPG Gizmo

Looks like a good day to me 

Remo

No better way to shed pressure. Nice pics of the country & pup.

Uplander
53 minutes ago, atticus said:

Sounds great--did you cast a fly in that brook?

I didn’t carry a rod.  Wanted my hands free; it’s wicked thick in there.  Tough bushwhacking with no trail.  I’ve fished those waters for 40 years though; caught some big wild brookies in the past....

aje4

Awesome pics.  Boy, I miss New England.  

SelbyLowndes

I love it!  Your pictures and story of a day in the New England wilderness during Dog Days when compared to south Georgia this time of year make me envious. Only mad dogs and pulp-wooders venture into my woods this time of year...SelbyLowndes

The words 'green hell' come to mind  (which was the term pioneers here used to describe it). 

Don Steese

Looks like a truly delightful day!

bntsetter

Looks Nice. I'm not sure I wouldn't have had to pack my 3wt into the backpack for that nice of an isolated stretch of water.

Bloodhound

Great pics...looks like a great day!

Brad Eden

Missed this. Nice PE. Beautiful area for bushwhacking for sure. Hope you didn't sweat too much. I know you hate to sweat.

Millriver
10 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Missed this. Nice PE. Beautiful area for bushwhacking for sure. Hope you didn't sweat too much. I know you hate to sweat.

I hate to sweat too. Was out with my wife and son in the Lunker Sled on a reservoir in southern Vermont today. It was 73 degrees when we left to come home. Drove an hour South and it was 90 degrees at our house.

Sitting in the air conditioning sweating as I type this. Ugh!