2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
gwponr

seizures or not??

gwponr

I've got a 71/2 month old female Draht that is having issues. A week and a half ago my dog had an episode, she came running into the house just racing around like a bat outta hell. 3 minutes later she is staggering drunk(seemingly) she can barely stand on her back legs and is pissing herself she went to sleep and was fine a few hours later. I had noticed the dog being a little clumsy previously but nothing like this that I took it for having giant puppy paws. Day before yesterday same thing not quite as bad as last episode, I ran her into vet. Blood work was fine no toxins/poisons in her system again few hours later she was fine maybe a little groggy. She doesn't paddle when lying down like epileptic seizures, which is what my vet thinks is going on with her but doesn't want to put her on seizure meds unless it happens again.  Each episode I have witnessed started out the same with her racing around like she is after something, then within a few minutes she acts drunk off her butt.

I do have a fairly large garden that she only has intermittent access to, the harshest chemical I have for garden is neem oil, although I do have a couple of organic plant foods on the table in the yard.

Any thoughts?

Lars

My 14 1/2 year old setter was started on anti-seizure meds today. For a long time now she's been having tremors which the vet referred to as petite mars or slight seizures.  A couple night ago she had a grand mar or full seizure that lasted for a few minutes.  On her side, legs paddling and foaming at the mouth. Scary. 

Blood test show no liver or kidney problems, blood sugar good but high blood pressure which could come from her high anxiety which she always has and could be the cause. 

I read brain tumors are common in dogs over 9 years old and are the most common cause of seizures and the only way to find out is a scan.

Anyway I hope its nothing serious for your pup.  

max2

Personally I would not start a puppy on seizure medication because they had  "a seizure" I would watch the pup and let it play out.   I would try everything possible before medicating . Check food for summer spoilage. Make sure there are no plants he/she is getting into. Could be just growing pains. Best wish's for your pup.  

tut

My buddy's Setter had 2 seizures in one night a few months ago.  Dog was a bit over 1 year old and in perfect health.  He rushed it to the vet where they did a bunch of tests and found nothing.   Dog never had another one.  He is keeping his fingers crossed that is was a one and done and related to something the dog stumbled into.

Wonder about sugar issues.  My Sophie had her first sugar issue when she was about 11 months old and went into what certainly appeared to be a seizure mode (I thought that was what was happening).  Also tick issues.  Curious if their tests included checking for sugar or tick related issues.   FWIW, when Sophie or any of my dogs have issues they come running for me because they know something isn't right.

Natty Bumpo

PM doc Dogwood. These symptoms are troubling. I doubt these episodes in the house would be caused by hypoglycemia.

Dogwood

I think your dog is an epileptic and your vet's advice is spot on.

gwponr

Not sure if vet checked blood sugar levels though they did do blood work, dogs are on a fresh bag of dog food opened this week and both pup and my setter eat same food.

Garden is fenced off and she only has access when I let her in and those times do not coincide with her episodes.   My vet wants to wait on medicating her because the meds are hard on they're liver 

I took some video on my phone towards the end of her last  episode, I will have to download it to my computer and try and upload to here  

If she is and epileptic would that affect her learning abilities?

max2

As unsettling as seizures are to watch a dog can live a productive life with them.  They seem to last forever while happening. Really if longer then 30 seconds it would seem like an eternity.  Epilepsy is unknown medical territory really. Your pup may never have another.

I would do this  watch the pup. Time of day of episode, weather condition, look at your watch to keep track of the duration. Write this down for your vet.  If pup has a seizure all you can do is make sure they can't hurt themselves  .  Possible fall down stairs or something like that. Talk to them and tell them you are with them and they will be ok. Be care full when they come out of seizure as they will not understand whats going on and could snap at you. Iv'e heard they can't see when they come out of a seizure also.   

DonT
10 hours ago, Dogwood said:

I think your dog is an epileptic and your vet's advice is spot on.

I agree.   The dog running around may be that the dog understands that something bad is about to happen and is trying to escape or run away from this seizure.    My dogs seizures where very bad and would have 3 in a row, he only had them when sleeping.  Before a seizure he would growl, as if to warn what ever was doing this to stop.  I kept towels in every room, one to put over his head, to calm him down and another for the pee.  Wish you all the best with the pup. 

DocE

CBD, so far, has been shown to reduce the incidence of seizures by over 90%

gwponr

Last night around 10 Dora started racing around the house like she does when she is about to have an episode I gave her a loud "hey" and she stopped went over and laid down she was breathing heavy with her tongue out like she just had a hard run but no peeing. After ten minutes or so she was breathing fine 

1 hour ago, DocE said:

CBD, so far, has been shown to reduce the incidence of seizures by over 90%

thats easy enough to try out here in Cali.

DocE
11 hours ago, gwponr said:

Last night around 10 Dora started racing around the house like she does when she is about to have an episode I gave her a loud "hey" and she stopped went over and laid down she was breathing heavy with her tongue out like she just had a hard run but no peeing. After ten minutes or so she was breathing fine 

thats easy enough to try out here in Cali.

Make sure it is a PURE  CBD -- with NO  THC.

Make sure it is CO2 Extraction.

check out  www.kingkanine.com

VizslavsBird

Had a dog that was epileptic, sucked to experience for me,  but one hell of a dog.  

Have to wonder if there is anything DocE' doobie won't cure?

gwponr

Thanks to everyone who responded with thoughts and help. To those of you with dog s that have had seizures I feel your pain. 

Is there any rhyme or reason has to when the dogs are gonna have seizures.  I noticed last time an episode was starting that my setter went and cowered in the corner. They are kenneled together when Im gone in a 4x14 run,  there are a couple veri kennels in the run for them to go inside. I notice sometimes I come home and my setter Patch is hiding in the back kennel and won't come out when I open up after being gone. I chalked it up to him being jealous of her, but I'm thinking now that maybe it's a sign of her having a seizure while I'm gone.

Dogwood
4 hours ago, gwponr said:

I notice sometimes I come home and my setter Patch is hiding in the back kennel and won't come out when I open up after being gone. I chalked it up to him being jealous of her, but I'm thinking now that maybe it's a sign of her having a seizure while I'm gone.

Quite likely. Many dogs are quite reclusive for an hour or so after a seizure.