2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Frazier

Who am I

Tim Frazier

The last few years have been difficult for me in ways most would not consider difficult.  Before my fathers passing in March of 2015 I would have defined myself first as a Christian, father, hunter, soldier, nurse, and maybe minimalist (that one blew up)  When he passed there were many who thought I would automatically slip into the role of farmer, land manager.   In truth vagabond was more likely.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the country but I like to be mobile, I like wilderness.  Many urban people and many farmers don't understand the difference, my identity was being challenged weekly, and still is.

So here I was after 50 years living a life I had created but really not capable of much more.  Now I had a second house several barns and 80 acres that I was expected to take care of.  All paid for mind you, but a full time job.  The first farmers I looked to for help weren't much at all.  My dads best friend couldn't bear to come over and still can't.  Another who operates one of the largest farms in the area was happy to plant the fields but treated me like a dolt and was very rude. (he was allowed to plant for no cost and still was a jerk).  

So this spring we finally decided it was time to move into the farm house and sell our house 3 miles away.  I relieved the mentioned farmer and have built a relationship with a young guy who I know my dad really liked.  He listens to me and includes me in the planning.  I also have embraced the idea that this is now and I can enjoy it or be miserable.  So I am planting what pleases me, sunflowers, millet, wheat and then grooming the woods for wildlife and black berries.  The things that bring me joy.  I'm still overwhelmed pretty much every week, still disgusted that everyone wants to hunt but no one wants to help, but I'm adapting.  And Saturday mornings when the air is cool and the dew is heavy...awesome!

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

Our "tree of life".  A ~300 year old pin oak that is just shy of the state record for diameter.  Unlike Disney's, this one is real 😉

IMG_2183.jpg

Jag hates having his picture taken, but even more when the sun is in his eyes!

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_2048.JPG

SelbyLowndes

Welcome to the landowner side of the hunter/property owner equation.  I ''solved' my problem which was similar to yours by forming an LLC for a Hunting Club.  The serious guys pay for the privilege now which provides for liability insurance and property taxes.  And THEY tend to the food plots and road maintenance!..SelbyLowndes

UplandHntr

Time to start livin life a bit and cut the dead weight etc. we’re about the same age  and Im tired of things that I thought were out if my control dictating my year. Things are changing... great pics! Take care of you and yours

WPG Gizmo

In front of you there is the open book of an adventure the pages are empty you get to write what happens it is a story of that only you can make it is totally up to you what is written on the blank pages.  

As for the everyone wants to hunt but no one is willing to help out I would make it clear to those that want to hunt sweat equity equals Hunt equity.  80 acres is not a large area so you going to need to limit the number of people that use the property if you go that route.

Write your story make it a epic  

Tim Frazier
43 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

80 acres is not a large area so you going to need to limit the number of people that use the property if you go that route.

Doves and turkey are the biggest request. Not big enough for non-family turkey hunting and I don’t know where people think I would put a bunch of dove hunters though I may have 3-4 opening weekend. 

max2

Nice !  Life abundant ! good stuff !

Greg Hartman

Yeah, Tim, being a land owner (especially in good hunting country) gives one a very different viewpoint.  Many of my friends (and probably some folks here) are horrified that I'm not a huge advocate for Sunday hunting in PA.

Much more importantly, I'm glad you are happy with the changes in your life - one must adapt and find a way to grin every day, because, otherwise why be here??  Most of us lucky enough to have spent some time on this earth have been defined in various ways, as you say, but the world keeps turning.   I would not wish my past ten years on a serial killer as punishment, but, at a couple decades older than you, I've adapted to my new situation and life is good again.  Can't stop smiling.  I hope that you are the same.

Kurt

There is always going to be some problem until the very last one is over. It is indeed interesting the commonality that exists in our lives.

Rick Hall

Haven't forgotten telling my father that I wanted to be a farmer so I could hunt whenever I wanted and being corrected, "No, you want to know farmers."

max2

Who am I ? ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I'm someone stuck in traffic :D   but life goes on....

Auto-5

I too am glad you are making the transition from your old situation to your new. I will also share that I was involved with my dad in selling my grandparents farm and more recently selling My parents home where I grew up. It’s been my experience that yes there is a bit of remorse in selling a home/farm with sentimental value, but  it isn’t as much as the stress of living a life you do not enjoy. I just remind myself that eventually it would have moved out of the family anyway and that in reality it was never mine anyway. 

I also share your experience with trying to work with other farmers with a rental, share agreement or as with your case free use of a farm. We never really had anyone hold up their end of the bargain.

Finally regarding people unwilling to help,  you do  need to ask .

And coordinate. I’m now on the other side of the equation and I frequently tell a couple of my buddies that let me hunt to call me when they need a hand or have mowing to do etc. but they rarely do. I on the other hand am reluctant to take it on myself to go on their private property to do things even if they have said things like one of these days I need to get that tree that blew down sawed up. Now if he said I’m going down next Tuesday to mow I’d probably just show up with my chain saw. So keep that in mind knowing that many will still not show  and most all will occasionally say I can’t because that’s my kids bday party, but you will have some make the effort especially if they are old retired guys like me with more free time.

henryrski

I like your style.

Jack L

Good for you.  

Sometimes people never know who we are.  I'm reminded of the Gene Hill story of the stranger he meets at camp who tells him that no one knows him , not even his family. They don't know how his spirit needs the outdoors to survive. They don't care to find out.

The anonymity of the Internet allows us to tell kindred spirits here things we may not share with others in person.  

I hope you you find joy on the farm and not just burden.

Big Al

I find that tending the land is rewarding regardless of what you are doing with it.  Enjoy the time.

mister grouse

Beautiful Ironweed photo.My favorite late summer flower/weed.