2018 UJ SUMMER SILENT AUCTION HAS LAUNCHED Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
BlacknTan

Unforgettable Characters

BlacknTan

I think The Reader's Digest used to have a section with this title. I thought that publication was one of the best, who's time, unfortunately, I think has passed..

Anyway, New York's Adirondacks, as many places away from urban areas, has it's fair share of free thinkers, and unique individuals. Indian Lake is no different, and it pleases me to no end that these folks still exist in reasonable numbers.

This is in front of the home of a gent from England who married a local girl. They have a kind of UFO landing zone out behind the neatly kept house, hard on the main road, and one of the alien visitors is a welcoming sight on the way into town...

w0FTR7J.jpg

A few years back, the alien disappeared. From what I understand, abducted by some college kids. He must have partied pretty hard with the kids, because the next year, he returned, but a bit worse for wear... In the meantime, he was replaced by the Mothership, which is still mounted to this day...

BVH2fbX.jpg

A bit offbeat? Maybe. But I value folks like this with the courage to express themselves, and just let it all hang out. Further, it reinforces my belief that the yuppies, and generation with more disposable income than they know what to do with, have not completely taken over.

I think the near presence of Snowy Mountain, the dominant feature in the area has attracted the extraterrestrials...

u6GEhbE.jpg

And I thank the good Lord for the views I pass when headed for the highway and the alien presence..

oLBrreX.jpg?1

And the view north to Blue Mountain...Big Blue..

z800MO4.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Nothing new about 'yard art' nuts.  I can remember as a kid a lot of country yards decorated with a little of everything. I've always liked the worn out boots on the fence posts...SelbyLowndes 

BlacknTan

I'd be remiss if I did not mention another unforgettable character. George Bagley, who passed in January of this year, was the breeder of our pup, Ivy. He lived in the woods of Maine.. as he wanted, with little interference from anyone. Built his own cabin, with all his equipment on site.. Tractors, Skidders and band saw mill. Implements and boards stickered everywhere, along with a good supply of chukars for training. George eschewed notoriety and kept to himself, but he did much for his beloved Gordons, and improved the breed.. 

He was truly unforgettable, and a character in every way....

Me and George.. holding Ivy...

Yo989Az.jpg

Ivy entranced with the bird pen..

ABuIVSc.jpg

WPG Gizmo

We make our own side of the highway art at work things that make you look twice. 

One of the favorites is if we find a road kill that is still whole we prop it up next to a pole on the side of the road with a can of beer and cigarette hanging from it mouth.  Raccoons work great for this people are so absorbed in what they are doing while driving it is a shock when they see this we let them stick around for a day maybe 2 then we dispose of the evidence that it was ever there.

henryrski

There is a gunsmith,  Paul Eichman, who built a spaceship in his backyard. It had a drop down ramp to get into it. Once you were inside he had all sorts of gadgets, beds that slide out of the frame etc. The neatest thing was his view screen, it was a tv that showed the galaxy. When you pushed the throttles forward the statrs went by faster giving the illusion of flying.

PS He is a damn good gunsmith.

SelbyLowndes

Road kill?  I once picked my oldest son up at his dorm at a nearby  college, ABAC (Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College).   It had been a deep freeze kind of night and when I drove into the parking lot the place was filled with frozen road-kill propped up to look really scary.  My son said it was a popular pass-time there?...SelbyLowndes

salmontogue

My English Lit. and writing professor.....Corey Ford

Perk

salmontogue

Bob Hazelwood, a float plane pilot I met during my flying days.  He was a highly decorated WW2 aviator who piloted the spotter plane off the Battleship Idaho.  Despite the substantial age difference we had lots of backwoods adventures together.  I miss him like crazy.

Perk

Wikipedia photo.  You can see the spotter plane on the fantail.

USS_Idaho_(BB-42)_at_1927_naval_review.jpg

oak stob

My turkey hunting friend, Bob Fluharty......he said wearing a cap made his hair sore.

I find myself quoting him still today.

Never knew of his WWII time til he went home.....many of those guys just did not want to revisit.

MUSTANGER7

Marine gunnery sgt (E7) can't remember his name, he was beyond being a character. Back in the mid 70's I was assigned as a training assistant to help coordinate Marine Reserve unit training schedule sort of ran point to them. I was a captain at the time and the unit was an amphibious tractor company (AMTRACS) they are a tracked vehicle designed to move troops from Navy ships. We were taking the company out to the 50 caliber MG range and we were on a tank trail that ran along the hard surface road, this trail had lots of big and deep mud holes made by both tanks and AMTRACS using it. This gunny had gone out ahead (on the tank trail) with a staff sgt in his VW bug, I was in the lead track in the turret hatch, we came around a corner and we saw these two Marines standing in the middle of one of those mud puddles. We stopped and asked him where his VW was he told us they were standing on its roof. We pulled it out and called for the maintenance track to come out and haul him back to the compound. He and the staff sgt worked all night and in the morning were driving that VW around.

During my second tour to RVN my company had been pulled back to provide security for a camp that house the marines who worked at the big ammo dump there in DaNang. A year before an NVa 122 rocket had hit the dump and blew it up. I had a squad size patrol running a patrol to the front of the Ammo dump perimeter and they found a 106mm recoilless round that had not exploded, I called EOD and my driver and I in my jeep followed by an EOD warrant officer along with another Marine gunny who also EOD they were in what we called a PC (sort of like a pickup) we went out as close as we could and then followed the patrol to where the 106 round was. The gunny looks at it saying that its a HEAT (round high explosive anti tank) he picks it up and puts it on his shoulder. When we got back to the vehicles he puts it in back of the PC and off we go with my jeep in the lead, we had just got on the hard surface road and the PC hits a pot hole, I hear a tremendous explosion look behind and all I can see is a black smoke cloud, we run back expecting to see two dead Marines, instead we see the PC with the back end blown off. The warrant and gunny are getting out and this gunny looks at the warrant office and says damn gunner this is the last PC we got.

I witnessed this same gunny when my company was sent in to reinforce a Marine CAP unit that had been over run by the NVA. The Marines were hold up in bunkers keeping the NVA away, we showed up and ran them off. There were NVA grenades unexploded all over the place EOD flew in to clean up the unexploded stuff, this gunny was walking around picking these grenades up an putting them in his field jacket pockets like they were candy.

One Marine had jumped on a grenade but it didn't go off so instead of the Congressional Medal of Honor they gave him the Navy Cross, like he knew it was a dud, about half of them were.

grouse28

Walter Arnold, famous Maine trapper who lived alone in a cabin on Indian Pond.

A friend and I stayed with him for a week and my friend interviewed him.

He was born in the 1890’s in the woods of Maine. We were just mesmerized by his stories.

A ski plane flew us into his camp in the mid 1970’s. Fascinating visit for two greenhorn “mountain men”.

Then there was my brothers guide in Nevada that cut off an infected toe with a loppers.

Greg Hartman

I love country livin' and wouldn't trade it for anything.  It does make for some "interesting" neighbors.  Also, there aren't many zoning restrictions limiting what people can do with their property.

The guy who lives on top of the hill about 1/2 mile from mine, "collects" heavy equipment.  All broken down in his front "yard", leaking oil and diesel.  The land is beautiful and will one day no doubt be a Superfund Site.  His "house" is what's left of half a trailer (I think a tree fell on the other half) with a lean-to built on the side of it.  When you stop by his place in the early morning, he's already holding a truly enormous beer can about a foot tall and he offers you the same "breakfast" he's enjoying.  Best of all are his goats.  They all have names like Cindy and Mary and Jane and they live in the trailer/lean-to with him.  He doesn't have a wife.  😦

This fellow is another nearby resident.  As you can see from his sign, he is in the landscape design business.  For a fee, he can get your place looking just like his (you gotta supply your own junk cars, sofas, etc).

6-4-10 - Lanscape Design - 1.jpg

BlacknTan

You're post made me laugh, Greg... Highly unusual first thing in the morning!

idcut

Too many "interesting folks" from my hometown to mention. A small rural North Idaho logging community, all with some kind of back story. Almost all have passed, but a few still living, well into their 90's......Boathouse Nellie, Slivers, The Beeman, One shot Charlie to name a few! Boathouse Nellie for example was a woman, whose husband was killed in a logging accident. To survive she turned to prostitution and prospecting and lived in a boathouse on the river. No sure how successful she was at either! She was an old woman when I was a kid.

I could probably drive around my hometown surrounding area and take numerous photos of yards full of broken down logging equipment, oddball homes thrown up with no true architectural design, but what the owner decided to add on, on any given day.

Many folks who have a serious distrust of anything resembling government, be it federal, state or local...particularly federal, living, in their mind, off the grid in some ramshackle shack with "treasures" strewn around, and so on!

Dave in Maine
20 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

I'd be remiss if I did not mention another unforgettable character. George Bagley, who passed in January of this year, was the breeder of our pup, Ivy. He lived in the woods of Maine.. as he wanted, with little interference from anyone. Built his own cabin, with all his equipment on site.. Tractors, Skidders and band saw mill. Implements and boards stickered everywhere, along with a good supply of chukars for training. George eschewed notoriety and kept to himself, but he did much for his beloved Gordons, and improved the breed.. 

He was truly unforgettable, and a character in every way....

Me and George.. holding Ivy...

Yo989Az.jpg

Ivy entranced with the bird pen..

ABuIVSc.jpg

George's obit in the Bangor paper notes, among his many other skills that he was a "local celebrity pyrotechnician".  Musta been a fun guy...

http://obituaries.bangordailynews.com/obituary/george-bagley-1944-2018-1022819002