FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Curt

How are you carrying your Alpha 100?

Curt

How are you Alpha users carrying the device while hunting?  Is it attached to your vest?  Are you using one of the available holsters or protective cases available?  How's your set up working out for you in the field?

I just rec'd mine and am trying to decide how best to carry the thing.  For the last six years my Astro was attached to my strap vest with a garmin clip and also a retractable gear keeper...worked great.

All information, tips, etc., will be appreciated.

tut
gunsrus

Strap vest , gizmo Alpha holster with clip and retractable gear keeper

Cooter Brown

I have yet to find a good way to carry it.  I've broken two of the clips garmin sells.  Neither lasted more than a day or two in the woods.  In open cover like prairies they'd work fine.  Where are you?

I got the Gizmo hoping it would work.  My hearing is not great in the higher frequencies and I mostly "hear" the point signal is sounding from the vibration instead of the tone.  The Gizmo is so thick it insulated the sound and vibration and made it even harder for me to hear.

The Gizmo's clip is so damned strong that it was very inconvenient for me to unclip it to look at it and I never figured out a good way to look at it without unclipping it so it ended up going in a pocket anyway and the case insulated it so much that I couldn't hear or feel it at all.

The Gizmo does offer a lot of protection so if you can figure out a way to make it work great.  I couldn't.

At this point I've resigned myself to carrying it in my vest shell pocket without a case, which I don't like, but I haven't come up with a better solution.  I do have a screen saver on it.

oak stob

Re Astro, if the carry can be said to apply equally....either the right front pants pocket or LL Bean makes a shirt with zippered slant pockets. An Astro fits reasonably well there.

I have been aware of point notifications but not really why I bought the first unit back when pup wore an antennae vest.

Kansas Bound

Wing works holster for the past few years. Got a Garmin watch this year to connect the two

Curt
3 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

I have yet to find a good way to carry it.  I've broken two of the clips garmin sells.  Neither lasted more than a day or two in the woods.  In open cover like prairies they'd work fine.  Where are you?

I got the Gizmo hoping it would work.  My hearing is not great in the higher frequencies and I mostly "hear" the point signal is sounding from the vibration instead of the tone.  The Gizmo is so thick it insulated the sound and vibration and made it even harder for me to hear.

The Gizmo's clip is so damned strong that it was very inconvenient for me to unclip it to look at it and I never figured out a good way to look at it without unclipping it so it ended up going in a pocket anyway and the case insulated it so much that I couldn't hear or feel it at all.

The Gizmo does offer a lot of protection so if you can figure out a way to make it work great.  I couldn't.

At this point I've resigned myself to carrying it in my vest shell pocket without a case, which I don't like, but I haven't come up with a better solution.  I do have a screen saver on it.

Cooter,

I'm in northcentral Pennsylvania so the cover is thick and hilly but that's basically true no matter where I hunt grouse.  I finally broke one of those Garmin clips after about 5 years of use with the Astro.  Now I keep a couple extras in the vest for when it happens again.  Thanks for the heads up on the Gizmo, like you my hearing has gone to hell over the last few years, in fact I'm having surgery on both ears tomorrow afternoon to hopefully improve things.

Cooter Brown
8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Cooter,

I'm in northcentral Pennsylvania so the cover is thick and hilly but that's basically true no matter where I hunt grouse.  I finally broke one of those Garmin clips after about 5 years of use with the Astro.  Now I keep a couple extras in the vest for when it happens again.  Thanks for the heads up on the Gizmo, like you my hearing has gone to hell over the last few years, in fact I'm having surgery on both ears tomorrow afternoon to hopefully improve things.

Maybe I'm just clumsy or unlucky.  At more than $10 a pop with shipping I decided not to try another clip.  I like them because you can easily rotate the thing to see it or remove it altogether.

Maybe somebody who uses the Gizmo successfully will chime in and let us know how they use it.  It's a well made product but I just can't figure out a way to make it work for me.

Willieb

+3 on the hearing.  

Just tied a cord on mine and hooked it to my belt on the shellbag. Stick it in pocket that holds empty shells. 

Mike da Carpenter

Just bought the Latigo leather holster for my Alpha.  Hooks on your belt and hangs upside down.  For $20 it was worth the try as I seriously hate to rely on a cheap piece of plastic to save an $800 piece of equipment from disapearing.

Chukarman

I use this holster from WingWorks...

wingworksastroloop3.jpg.8d3cafa3edb6099e75c65711854c40e3.jpg

oldbird

I just use a neck lanyard and tuck it in my top shirt pocket.

Keith E. Carlson

After the gizmo Garman belt clip thing broke, I put it  in my shirt pocket on my non-shooing side with a lanyard to my belt for safety

works fine.

Pomoxis

Paracord lanyard (maybe a nickel's worth) with my chest strap on my q5 vest to keep it from flopping around. Really keen on getting a Fenix though.

steveziv

I've been hanging my Sportdog TEK 2.0 from the supplied lanyard, around my neck and it tends to dangle uncomfortably.  I'm looking for a better way.

This FieldKing GPS Holster might be worth a try.  And a couple nice leather ones from Coyote Company .