How are you carrying your Alpha 100?

Jim Vander
15 hours ago, Chukarman said:

I use this holster from WingWorks...

wingworksastroloop3.jpg.8d3cafa3edb6099e75c65711854c40e3.jpg

Me too works great

Craig Doherty
On 8/12/2018 at 9:38 AM, Curt said:

attached to my strap vest with a garmin clip and also a retractable gear keeper...worked great.

++ This.  Although now with the Fenix watch I could just stick it in a pocket.  I've been carrying the Alpha that way since I got one of the first ones -- never broken a garmin clig or the gear keeper.

Mike da Carpenter

For those of you using the leather holster from Wing Works, how easy/difficult is it to asscess both the Ecollar buttons and the charging port?  The pic of the one posted here doesn’t have the Alpha 100 in it, and from the bulky look of it is what made me go with the other one I bought.

Jim Vander

Buttons are  easily accessible, has to come out to charge.

Mike da Carpenter
2 hours ago, Jim Vander said:

Buttons are  easily accessible, has to come out to charge.

You’d think they could cut out an access hole for the charging port.  If they had it, I’d buy one right now, as I like the design, just dislike the disassembly of something daily only to put it all back together.  Best way to wear something out.

Curt
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:42 AM, Mike da Carpenter said:

For those of you using the leather holster from Wing Works, how easy/difficult is it to asscess both the Ecollar buttons and the charging port?  The pic of the one posted here doesn’t have the Alpha 100 in it, and from the bulky look of it is what made me go with the other one I bought.

I've seen guys using those leather holsters where the Alpha hangs upside down at training seminars etc. and they seem fine for that.  I don't know if I'd trust that set up in thick ruffed grouse cover with the saplings and brush tugging at that swinging holster and those two snaps the only thing keeping your device safe.

Chukarman
2 hours ago, Curt said:

I've seen guys using those leather holsters where the Alpha hangs upside down at training seminars etc. and they seem fine for that.  I don't know if I'd trust that set up in thick ruffed grouse cover with the saplings and brush tugging at that swinging holster and those two snaps the only thing keeping your device safe.

First, the hardware on the WingWorks is high quality, not the cheap stuff made in China - not likely to fail...

Second, the design is such that BOTH the snaps would have to fail to lose the device.

You could always punch a hole for the charger, I expect. I have found that removing the Astro from the holster is no more difficult than taking it out of my vest pocket.

Hub

I run a steel cable key cable key ring through the loop at the base of the unit.  I attach that cable key ring to my strap vest strap so that the unit then hangs upside down on my non gun mounting side.  Once it's attached in this fashion I can just flip it up to have a look at the screen and let it drop when I am done.  I have the Gizmodo cover as well, but I only use it's paracord attachment cord as a second point of failure protection and occasionally clip it to my belt when I am just walking dogs and not really hunting.  I don't have any real great pictures of just my alpha set up, but you can at least make out the attachment point here.  If I want my alpha off my strap vest I undo the strap.  I hang my vest and charge all my various electronics while still in the vest so I don't get out the door without htem.

1207291035_alphaattach.jpg.dc6cb88eb9307755e95f022c8b2f7186.jpg

MUSTANGER7

This is what I use for my Garmin 220 which I've had for a long time with three collars, since its been so long I not sure but think that this came with the 220 it works extremely well. I have a short safety cord which I hook  with a d-ring to my pack, it hangs on the left front where I can easily access it, I just lift it out look at and slide it back in the "pocket or slot". I've used this all over in all sorts of terrain and its never came out of the slot. My vest is one from LL Bean which has a lot of small loops or straps on both sides of the pack straps, I've tried several other packs but this just works so well, sold the others.

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

Curt

Yeah, that's the Garmin clip we've been talking about breaking.

Lurch

I got a ccarabiner clip attachment off Amazon that attaches to the long flat piece on the back.

it's been on some short trips through some rough stuff and has held up great so far