FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
sxsneubaum

Garden Find

sxsneubaum

Since I moved into town in the house I am in now I haven't been able to grow bell peppers.  I'd plant them and they would either die or not produce, it was odd because sweet peppers grew like crazy.

Was out checking on things tonight and found two pepper plants growing up between the landscape fabric.  They were covered up by tomatoes and squash leaves, but they are bell peppers.  No idea where they came from, but they are there.  It's funny because I am in the garden most everyday.  Must have thought they were sweet peppers.  Guess it really has been a good garden year.

BP's in the garden 1.JPG

BP's in the garden 2.JPG

Brad Eden

Nice find. Healthy looking plants too. I've had better luck this year with bell peppers and am also getting a load of jalapeño peppers this year too. 

WPG Gizmo

Nice find slice them up thin and grill with the steaks yum

sxsneubaum
10 minutes ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Nice find slice them up thin and grill with the steaks yum

Probably wait until they turn red and then use what I want and freeze the rest.  I like Red Bells, more than green.  Green to me get a little bitter when cooked.  Did take a couple to make sausage and peppers for dinner.

Mike da Carpenter

Anybody have any red tomatoes yet?  We have a ton of Roma and Cherry, but have had less than 1/2 a dozen total turn red.  On the other hand, we are covered up in cucumbers.

Canuck

Just cherry tomatoes so far in central Manitoba,

Canuck

sxsneubaum
1 hour ago, Mike da Carpenter said:

Anybody have any red tomatoes yet?  We have a ton of Roma and Cherry, but have had less than 1/2 a dozen total turn red.  On the other hand, we are covered up in cucumbers.

My tomatoes are just now turning red.  Many friends in my area have been canning tomatoes for a few weeks.  I planted my tomatoes late so they are now becoming ripe. 

Fire Marshal Bill

My wife has a very small garden but has been picking red tomatoes for a couple of weeks. Bell peppers are in abundance but not ready to pick yet. She only has one cucumber plant but that plant has been producing 3/4 cucumbers every other day. It's the first time she's tried a cucumber plant and it's just unbelievable how many cucu's have come off that one plant. In fact next year she has to give it more space because it's over shadowing the pepper plant. 

Brad Eden

Getting lots of cherry tomatoes. Some medium sized ones, but bigguns are slacking. I put in too many tomatoe plants as usual. The raised bed looks more like a huge overgrown bush, despite pruning the suckers etc., not good for sun and ventilation, so plants aren't super great. I never learn, since I like a few varieties and buy them in 6 packs as transplants. Can't seem to throw out extras.

Lots of cukes now, bush beans have mostly gone by but I have some pole green beans coming in. Squashes have peaked. A few winter type squash still growing and a few pumpkins look good. Gonna dig up the rest of my potatos soon since the tops have almost died off. greens like lettuce and spinach all bolted and are now in compost bin, but that damn kale keeps in trucking. 

Im gonna build a plastic wrapped cold frame for one raised bed, since JoAnn wants to try some fall greens this year.

Mike da Carpenter
2 hours ago, Fire Marshal Bill said:

My wife has a very small garden but has been picking red tomatoes for a couple of weeks. Bell peppers are in abundance but not ready to pick yet. She only has one cucumber plant but that plant has been producing 3/4 cucumbers every other day. It's the first time she's tried a cucumber plant and it's just unbelievable how many cucu's have come off that one plant. In fact next year she has to give it more space because it's over shadowing the pepper plant. 

Ended up building a trellis for my wife’s cucumbers, this way they grow UP, not out.  It’s working out just as I wished it would.