Sign in to follow this  
EllieGSP

New Garmin PRO 550 Plus Training and Tracking Bundle

EllieGSP

Looks like a new addition to the Garmin/Tri-Tronics line-up.   The 550 Pro Trainer with the GPS feature, vs a GPS with an E-collar function.   The simplicity seems good for those who use the training function more than tracking and no needing maps, tracks, etc.   Only direction/distance/moving-point info.  It would be nice to use with the Garmin watch.

This is probably the fall release so  no new Astro revision.

- b

PRO 550 Plus Training and Tracking Bundle

capture_08142018_080416.jpg

Thinblueline

If I’m reading it right, the GPS on this new collar has only a two mile range, so I’m still glad I went with the Astro Mini, which I think was 7 or 9 miles. 

Becassier

One major retailer is telling me that you can only display the info for one dog at a time.  If that is correct, I won't be very interested in it...

Flush

I wonder what the actual range will be? On the units rated at 9 miles, when the dogs get over 500 yards away in the real world, which is not perfectly flat even on the prairies, you start losing communication pretty regularly.   

In theory, this setup will probably work for a lot of guys who don't want or need a lot of fancy GPS functions, just to keep track of their dog. Although it doesn't appear to be able to mark any waypoints (like your truck) which is a nice feature many people do use.

tut

Old hunting buddy of mine just bought this.  He's 73 and runs two French Brits.  For him the Alpha was way too complicated.  He wanted to know where the dog was and be able to apply corrections as necessary.  He has a few health issues.  For him the system seems to fit his needs.  FWIW, he hunts one dog at a time 99 percent of the time, so the ability to track 2 dogs at once isn't a bid deal.  

bobman

The new pro 550 has some nice features and the gps version is one of them I would of bought that if I didn’t have my alpha

I recently bought the standard new pro 550 and the method of jumping from one dogto another was  too confusing for me I kept nicking the wrong dog

I ended up buying another new pro 70 . I really like everything  about it except the fact they went to a 3/4 inch collar which is much harder to put on an excited pointer

it also stretches so it’s easy to put it on too tight

the lighted collars are great for exercising them at night and seeing them in my woods and the tone function is much improved I rarely use the “nick”

If I only was handling one dog at a time the 550 would get the nod its got the ability to really fine tune the amount of “nick”

Im lending the 550 to my daughter indefinitely Incase I get a dog that needs that type of sensitivity 

she only has one one dog so it will work well for her

sidelock
On 11/13/2018 at 9:04 PM, bobman said:

The new pro 550 has some nice features and the gps version is one of them I would of bought that if I didn’t have my alpha

I recently bought the standard new pro 550 and the method of jumping from one dogto another was  too confusing for me I kept nicking the wrong dog

I ended up buying another new pro 70 . I really like everything  about it except the fact they went to a 3/4 inch collar which is much harder to put on an excited pointer

it also stretches so it’s easy to put it on too tight

the lighted collars are great for exercising them at night and seeing them in my woods and the tone function is much improved I rarely use the “nick”

If I only was handling one dog at a time the 550 would get the nod its got the ability to really fine tune the amount of “nick”

Im lending the 550 to my daughter indefinitely Incase I get a dog that needs that type of sensitivity 

she only has one one dog so it will work well for her

Isn't the method of jumping from one dog to another on the 550 a simple flick of the switch ? 

bobman

Yep but try it without looking at it or in the dark while you have three dogs running in different directions it’s a tiny switch and easy to have in the wrong position 

the 70 has an individual button for each dog which you can easily use without looking at the hand held and the only thing you give up with the 70 is the number of levels of nick is smaller so you have bigger jumps in intensity