FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
EllieGSP

New Garmin PRO 550 Plus Training and Tracking Bundle

EllieGSP

Looks like a new addition to the Garmin/Tri-Tronics line-up.   The 550 Pro Trainer with the GPS feature, vs a GPS with an E-collar function.   The simplicity seems good for those who use the training function more than tracking and no needing maps, tracks, etc.   Only direction/distance/moving-point info.  It would be nice to use with the Garmin watch.

This is probably the fall release so  no new Astro revision.

- b

PRO 550 Plus Training and Tracking Bundle

capture_08142018_080416.jpg

Thinblueline

If I’m reading it right, the GPS on this new collar has only a two mile range, so I’m still glad I went with the Astro Mini, which I think was 7 or 9 miles. 

Becassier

One major retailer is telling me that you can only display the info for one dog at a time.  If that is correct, I won't be very interested in it...

Flush

I wonder what the actual range will be? On the units rated at 9 miles, when the dogs get over 500 yards away in the real world, which is not perfectly flat even on the prairies, you start losing communication pretty regularly.   

In theory, this setup will probably work for a lot of guys who don't want or need a lot of fancy GPS functions, just to keep track of their dog. Although it doesn't appear to be able to mark any waypoints (like your truck) which is a nice feature many people do use.