FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
rudyc

Summertime gills

rudyc

Put in some quality time with my brother and a good pal catching "gills and sunnies.

Can't think of too many better ways to spend a couple of hours in the summer.

We've got the mid-summer bite dialed in pretty well on this lake.

And yes, we did keep a few for the pan.

image000000 (40).jpg

image000000 (017).jpg

image000000 (00F) (2).jpg

mccuha

What kind of rig you got.  I’ve never seen people have more than one hook for bream. If I had 2 of our big titty bream on I’d have to use a bass rod to get them in

rudyc

Kind of a modified drop shot.

Small bell style sinker on the bottom and a couple of ice jigs or beaded hare's ear nymphs up about 10"-12" apart

This time of year the gills and sunnies are all relating to the bottom on the lake in about 24'-30' of water.

Most of the fish we are catching are around 8"-8.5" and on a long, ultra-light rod they are a real hoot.

I'd love to get into some fish the size you guys get down south.

SelbyLowndes

The last time I re-stocked one of my ponds, I got an education on sunfish. There's lots of varieties out there.  We have mostly big growing bluegills down here and I've been catching them all my life.  I wanted to opt for something different.  

What I really wanted was pumpkinseed bream.  They don't get as big as bluegills or shellcrackers, but I think they are beautiful.  I came to find out though, that although they are present in a part of GA, the state would not allow out of state suppliers to ship them into GA.  I remember my brother in law questioning why I would want the smaller fish just because they were petty.  I reminded him that I married his sister because she was pretty.

Well, strike pumpkinseeds.  There is a variety of bluegill we have in the Flint, Chattahoochee, Appalachee river drainages we call 'hand painted bream'.  They are so called because of the lovely coloration; they look almost like aquarium specimens.  The problem there was none of the growers stocked them.  I tried to get my local guy to dedicate a couple of years to breeding and growing out a pond stocking of them for me.  I told him I'd supply the parent stock.  I also told him he'd have the only supply of these fish in the country and would make millions.  He didn't want to do it.

I ended up stocking bluegill,Georgia Giant hybrids,  shellcracker, largemouth bass, and channel cats plus a variety of minnow type fish and crawdads for forage.  Bummer....SelbyLowndes  

sloth5202

Really not a better way to get kids into fishing.  The picture below was from our vacation this summer.  We were only out for an hour our but by the end of it I had to convince him we needed to go back and he kept telling everyone at the resort that he was a better fisherman than me:)  To say he is "hooked" is an understatement.

Displaying IMG_0870.JPG

mccuha
1 hour ago, SelbyLowndes said:

The last time I re-stocked one of my ponds, I got an education on sunfish. There's lots of varieties out there.  We have mostly big growing bluegills down here and I've been catching them all my life.  I wanted to opt for something different.  

What I really wanted was pumpkinseed bream.  They don't get as big as bluegills or shellcrackers, but I think they are beautiful.  I came to find out though, that although they are present in a part of GA, the state would not allow out of state suppliers to ship them into GA.  I remember my brother in law questioning why I would want the smaller fish just because they were petty.  I reminded him that I married his sister because she was pretty.

Well, strike pumpkinseeds.  There is a variety of bluegill we have in the Flint, Chattahoochee, Appalachee river drainages we call 'hand painted bream'.  They are so called because of the lovely coloration; they look almost like aquarium specimens.  The problem there was none of the growers stocked them.  I tried to get my local guy to dedicate a couple of years to breeding and growing out a pond stocking of them for me.  I told him I'd supply the parent stock.  I also told him he'd have the only supply of these fish in the country and would make millions.  He didn't want to do it.

I ended up stocking bluegill,Georgia Giant hybrids,  shellcracker, largemouth bass, and channel cats plus a variety of minnow type fish and crawdads for forage.  Bummer....SelbyLowndes  

I’ve never seen them in ponds but some of the larger streams I fish on occasion has what I believe you guys as well as us call red bellies.  They are real pretty. Never seen giants but 1/2# will fight pretty hard on a fly rod

MUSTANGER7

Had a acre pond when I was in the mid west, caught some crappie and put them in, they feed on the small blue gills and I had crappie up to 17in. My wife's family came up to visit and my brother in law could not believe the size. Blue gills will quickly over populate a pond.

rudyc

I have fished Lake Geveva in S. E. Wisconsin since I was an ankle biter back in the 50's. Up until maybe 8-10 years ago, sunnies were very rare.

Now days, it's about 50-50 in most parts of the lake.

We first started seeing Zebra Mussels around the same time. Folks that know more about than me have told me that the sunnies are cashing in on the invasive species and that's the reason for the swing in population. The gills spawn a bit deeper and a little later than the sunnies.

I do know that the sunnies have much more apparent teeth than the 'gills. I guess they use them to crunch the mussels.

Here's a pic of some sunnies and a couple of 'gills from the same lake that we took earlier this year on "hard water"

image000000 (30).jpg

fishvik
4 hours ago, sloth5202 said:

Really not a better way to get kids into fishing.  The picture below was from our vacation this summer.  We were only out for an hour our but by the end of it I had to convince him we needed to go back and he kept telling everyone at the resort that he was a better fisherman than me:)  To say he is "hooked" is an understatement.

Displaying IMG_0870.JPG

Way to go both of you. For you getting him into fishing, and him for being so sincere.:D

SelbyLowndes
5 hours ago, rudyc said:

5 hours ago, rudyc said:

image000000 (30).jpg

Yep, that's why I wanted Pumpkinseeds...SelbyLowndes

SelbyLowndes
7 hours ago, mccuha said:

I’ve never seen them in ponds but some of the larger streams I fish on occasion has what I believe you guys as well as us call red bellies.  They are real pretty. Never seen giants but 1/2# will fight pretty hard on a fly rod

Oh yes, river Redbellies.  I've caught thousands of them on my fly-rods over the years. The roosters in the Springtime are beautiful.  However, they do not do well in ponds.  I've tried...SelbyLowndes

topdog1961

The variety I like to catch is the Redear. They grow bigger and meatier than typical bluegill. There is a limit of 25 on them in Indiana, none on  Bluegills, so you have to sort them and keep track of the redear when the bite is real good. It gets tricky when they start interbreeding. They should start moving out of the depths and into the shallows to feed in the evenings in a couple weeks. That will keep me busy until deer season. 

image.jpeg

SelbyLowndes

Redear is what we call Shellcracker in the South...SelbyLowndes

mccuha
2 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

Redear is what we call Shellcracker in the South...SelbyLowndes

Or by others in the south. Shell crappies 

in the low state on lake santee  I know guys that use fresh water shrimp to catch them

dogrunner

I like gills. 

893FD7F9-395E-4381-A664-7C5C5037F2B4.jpeg