FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
NECarson

How do you transport your dogs?

How do you transport your dogs to the field?   

122 members have voted

1. 1. How do you transport your dogs to the field?

• Free in the cab
    • Kennel in the cab
    • Metal box in the bed (or topper)
    • Plastic kennels in the bed
    • Trailer

NECarson

My Pointer rides along in the cab everywhere if it's not hot. 

But when it's time to train/trial/hunt, it's in a metal box in the bed. 

But that box (that I love) won't fit with the bed cover/rack on the new truck. So I'm reevaluating options, again... And I got to wondering what percentage does what for transportation. 

Brad Eden

Did you want this as Poll Only? Right now nobody can Reply. I can change it if you want. Ahhhh,  I'll go change it anyhow since I think that's what you wanted.

Fire Marshal Bill

He rides in a kennel in the back of my SUV along with all my other hunting gear.

Brad Eden

You left out-loose in pickup bed under a cap.

Thats how I use to transport my dogs to and from bird covers. Was castigated because of that in the past.

They now stay loose in the cab of my 4 door first gen Tundra so have a full back seat. I'm hearing that's also a no no and shows me to be a negligent pet owner. There are some states that have or are considering laws against loose dogs inside moving vehicles, and some require a dog to be restrained and even seat belted in in some way. I can see how a lap dog/ankle biter in a drivers lap with its paws on the steering wheel may look cute but it isn't cool. Ive seen (on social media) that it's cruel to let a dog stick its head out the window of a moving vehicle now. The fur baby police are in full force these days....

Treerooster

I put "Free in the Cab" as I do have my dogs ride in the back seat of my pickup quite a bit. Especially on trips of 2 hours or more. It is noisy in the bed of a pickup, even with a topper, and the 16 hours trip I make twice a year to Wis has me worry about their hearing.

If the trip is relatively short I have plastic kennels in the bed/topper they ride in.

Mike da Carpenter

My GSP had full run of my truck (Crew Cab Silverado) just long enough till my Rough Tuff kennel could show up.  He now rides in the kennel in the back passenger seat.  

I have absolutely no idea how anyone could control such a high strung creature in such a confined space without being kenneled.  Dog listenes well outside the truck, but there must be just way to many sights and smells to keep him bouncing around like a fart in a windstorm to not sit still.

WMassGriff

SUV Kennel in back with folded down seats. Large Plastic storage container with all his (dog's) gear/water etc. They only come out when I make a dump run.

fourtrax57

Trailer.

Crated in rear of Suburban

Crated in rear of Subaru.

Crated in bed & topper of pickup.

terrym

If just running around doing errands they are loose in the back seat of the cab. If hunting or training in a crate on back seat o cab. They are usually filthy after a hunt and it seems to calm them down to ride in the crate. 

C.J.L.
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

You left out-loose in pickup bed under a cap

This.  Plywood that covers the bed and a carpet on top.  Even leave the back glass part of the gate up on hot long drives.  

salmontogue

Very short trips in the cab otherwise in a kennel.

Perk

Curt

I checked 'Free in the cab' because that's the closest option to what we actually do.  The truth is free in the back seat of the crew cab.  I have a divider between the front seats and the back seats that prevents the dogs from coming into the front.  They travel back there most of the time we're on the road but they also ride in crates in the truck bed at times when we're hunting... it depends.

SARGENT

In kennel in the cab if there is room otherwise in kennel under the topper in the bed.

henryrski
12 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

You left out-loose in pickup bed under a cap.

Thats how I use to transport my dogs to and from bird covers. Was castigated because of that in the past.

They now stay loose in the cab of my 4 door first gen Tundra so have a full back seat. I'm hearing that's also a no no and shows me to be a negligent pet owner. There are some states that have or are considering laws against loose dogs inside moving vehicles, and some require a dog to be restrained and even seat belted in in some way. I can see how a lap dog/ankle biter in a drivers lap with its paws on the steering wheel may look cute but it isn't cool. Ive seen (on social media) that it's cruel to let a dog stick its head out the window of a moving vehicle now. The fur baby police are in full force these days....

That would be New Jersey.

Korthaar

I have an aluminum dog box in the back of the truck. It's a heavy son of a gun to get in out on my own. So, if I'm hauling something, it may take a few weeks before I feel like putting it back in. In that case, they ride free in the cab. They are well behaved.