NECarson

How do you transport your dogs?

How do you transport your dogs to the field?   

146 members have voted

1. 1. How do you transport your dogs to the field?

• Free in the cab
    • Kennel in the cab
    • Metal box in the bed (or topper)
    • Plastic kennels in the bed
    • Trailer

bmeador

I run a 2 hole box (Big enough for 4 med. pointers) stacked on top of a 3 hole box underneath an insulated topper on my Tundra. In my Suburban, I run 4 wire crates bolted together and bolted to floor with storage platforms zip tied to tops of crates. Suburban is used for local hunting and training. Tundra is mainly for north and west trips when everybody gets to go.

gunsrus

Dedicated grousemobile '99 Tahoe 2 door . Two vary kennels in rear with tailgate (the best part) and the old guy 10 year old Zack up front with me .

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

NECarson
14 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Did you want this as Poll Only? Right now nobody can Reply. I can change it if you want. Ahhhh,  I'll go change it anyhow since I think that's what you wanted.

Correct... 

NECarson
14 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

You left out-loose in pickup bed under a cap.

Thats how I use to transport my dogs to and from bird covers. Was castigated because of that in the past.

They now stay loose in the cab of my 4 door first gen Tundra so have a full back seat. I'm hearing that's also a no no and shows me to be a negligent pet owner. There are some states that have or are considering laws against loose dogs inside moving vehicles, and some require a dog to be restrained and even seat belted in in some way. I can see how a lap dog/ankle biter in a drivers lap with its paws on the steering wheel may look cute but it isn't cool. Ive seen (on social media) that it's cruel to let a dog stick its head out the window of a moving vehicle now. The fur baby police are in full force these days....

I knew I'd forgotten something! I don't think I've known anyone to transport free under a cap. 

Mine rides like that all the time. I've heard the same thing. 

Cheesy

On weekend hunting trips or down the highway, they get the old school wooden dog box. My brother in law built me this one in 2003. I can’t begin to count the number of pheasants, quail, doves, and more recently ducks that have met their match coming from shorthairs out of this box. 

XJBSIw0.jpg

Castigate me if you wish, staying local on backroads and around the farm, they’re loose in the bed of the truck. Growing up we had farm dogs that lived in the back of the truck and rode there everywhere we went. 

gunsrus

20+ years ago when i built my house we had a German Shepherd , Maverick . He rode in the bed of a 1991 Ford F150 everywhere . Usually out against the tailgate but knew when braking to brace against the cab , wheel wells or whatever . He would sit in that bed for hours when I was in the supply store buying crap . Extremely obedient and very much my dog . Highways , backroads , neighborhoods , he rode out back . 

At the time I thought this was so cool . He would get lots of recognition and most was positive but some would yell at me and flip me the bird . I didn't care .

Today , there are laws against it .

I look back , different times and tragedies were not something I thought about .

I look back and think how awful I'd feel if something bad happened . 

I look bad and think what an arse I was . 

DDgrouser

Once saw a German Shepherd fall out of the back of a pick up truck on  interstate 35W in Minneapolis they must have been going at least 60 MPH not something I ever want to see again.  So avoidable.

mccuha

I use a metal box. Had one custom made to my truck bed demisions.  3hole that can hold 6 dogs. Also made it to where I can make an identical box to mount on top of it under a topper. I will have the capabilities to haul 12 dogs but probably want haul that many. 

gaberdeen

I do both depending on temp. If cool enough they go in ruff tuff kennels in the bed of the pickup which has a cap. If too warm in the kennels in the cab. Very short trips just tethered in backseat.

Brad Eden

Dogs enjoying the wind is one of life's pleasures to watch. I always have a cap, but have seen dogs in open pick up beds, and are tethered to middle at front. The leash is just long enough for them to lean their head over the side but short enough that they can't jump or fall out. Of course bugs in eyes are still a possibility, but cripes dogs gotta take risks to enjoy life too. I think.

Jim Vander

If we are local or I only have one or 2 to take to trial the 2hole box in bed of truck. When we head west the 4hole topper. 

DSC02336.jpg

DSC02337.jpg

TJK68

I have a 3 door insulated metal box, with storage compartment on top, in the back of my pickup. I can also put 2 crates in back of my crew cab F-250, so I can haul 5 dogs if needed.

Willieb

Purchased a 8 foot bed 2500HD Chevy in 2013 for a dedicated Hunting / travel truck with an ARE topper. I originally put single dog crates in back along with other supplies. I have 4 Shorthairs and my wife has a Golden.  They are our children and go where we go.  During summer months it got hot under topper even with windows open and was a pain in the butt to crawl inside to get the dogs out or what ever gear was needed.  After wearing my knees out crawling around I finally had enough and ordered an Aniely topper with sliding drawers and 20 gallon water tank underneath.

I am well pleased and life is a lot simpler. 

IMG_0969.JPG

frak

Not sure how “front seat of Saab convertible” would poll.

Lars

Colby's come a long way and I let him ride in the back seat of the extended cab.  I even trust him not to chew anything if I run into a store for some things.  I do carry his crate in the bed of the pick-up incase of muck or a run-in with a skunk or something.