Jump to content
FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
quailguy

Snakes We Had in South Texas

Recommended Posts

quailguy

Each and everyone of these snakes was found at our house. And a lot more besides; we/I didn't take a pic of a snake for years, we were so used to them. The 2 largest I saw were both western diamond backed rattlers with no photo of course. 

Texas rat snake

Black phased Texas rat snake. This on was in the dog kennel. The dog began barking in a funny way and I went out to the kennels to find him in one kennel corner sort of pointing another corner and there was Mr Rat snake. Donner was going no where near that snake. Good boy!

IMG_1448

  This from the local paper; I saw 2 such very large rattlers, one right at the lower driveway which escaped and another along the local road about 1/2 mile from the house. I had no camera or weapon but measured, as best I could using the yellow center line and edge of the road, the spot in the road the second rattler was on: he was over 7 feet, close to 8 feet long. This to prove they exist that large.

coral snake

 Coral snake I stepped on wearing my snake boots about 2 feet before the front steps in the yard. He's now a hat band.

coral snake

 This one I ran over in the driveway.

western diamond back

 This one was under the bird bath. "go clean out the bird bath, it's dirty!" OK, me and my little 20 gauge. He was actually under the water filled plastic ground bath. I was down on my knees to pick up the bird bath and he scared the s*** outa me. I am sure I would have won any Olympic knee-back jump by many feet!!  But a loaded 20 gauge beats a rattler every time. 

western diamond back

 Just a button on this small one, but I almost stepped on him wearing only slippers as I took a step outside the garage. I never went out without snake boots again, even a small one will send you to the hospital for days.

western diamond back

 This SoB was in the side yard; the wife heard him and I had a snake stick handy.

western diamond back rattler

 A cousin of the one above; had my pistol on me by this time and shot him in the drive.

black necked garter snake

 One of the few non poisonous snakes we had; a black necked garter snake at the back stone wall.

rat snake

Texas rat snake I pulled off the corner post where the wren nest box was. He got put several 100 feet the other direction.

western diamond back

 To finish up this little PE; this SoB crawled over my right boot oh so slowly. I was out in the yard and felt something on my snake boot. It was this dude, who really took his time clearing my boot and some rocks and then the house so I had a safe line of fire. By this time I have this little Browning BDA .380 on me at all times. Only missed him once; good thing I've had a good bit of pistol practice.

 This is just a sample; I never took any snake photos for prolly ten years and had more snakes to begin with than for the last 15 years. Plus I didn't ever have a camera on me until the wife got me an iPhone about 10 years ago. So wear those snake boots bird hunting down in Texas; the leg you save may be your own! It is normally a long way to the hospital from the quail lease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Skybuster

The only good snake......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Steese
33 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Each and everyone of these snakes was found at our house. And a lot more besides; we/I didn't take a pic of a snake for years, we were so used to them. The 2 largest I saw were both western diamond backed rattlers with no photo of course. 

Texas rat snake

Black phased Texas rat snake. This on was in the dog kennel. The dog began barking in a funny way and I went out to the kennels to find him in one kennel corner sort of pointing another corner and there was Mr Rat snake. Donner was going no where near that snake. Good boy!

IMG_1448

  This from the local paper; I saw 2 such very large rattlers, one right at the lower driveway which escaped and another along the local road about 1/2 mile from the house. I had no camera or weapon but measured, as best I could using the yellow center line and edge of the road, the spot in the road the second rattler was on: he was over 7 feet, close to 8 feet long. This to prove they exist that large.

coral snake

 Coral snake I stepped on wearing my snake boots about 2 feet before the front steps in the yard. He's now a hat band.

coral snake

 This one I ran over in the driveway.

western diamond back

 This one was under the bird bath. "go clean out the bird bath, it's dirty!" OK, me and my little 20 gauge. He was actually under the water filled plastic ground bath. I was down on my knees to pick up the bird bath and he scared the s*** outa me. I am sure I would have won any Olympic knee-back jump by many feet!!  But a loaded 20 gauge beats a rattler every time. 

western diamond back

 Just a button on this small one, but I almost stepped on him wearing only slippers as I took a step outside the garage. I never went out without snake boots again, even a small one will send you to the hospital for days.

western diamond back

 This SoB was in the side yard; the wife heard him and I had a snake stick handy.

western diamond back rattler

 A cousin of the one above; had my pistol on me by this time and shot him in the drive.

black necked garter snake

 One of the few non poisonous snakes we had; a black necked garter snake at the back stone wall.

rat snake

Texas rat snake I pulled off the corner post where the wren nest box was. He got put several 100 feet the other direction.

western diamond back

 To finish up this little PE; this SoB crawled over my right boot oh so slowly. I was out in the yard and felt something on my snake boot. It was this dude, who really took his time clearing my boot and some rocks and then the house so I had a safe line of fire. By this time I have this little Browning BDA .380 on me at all times. Only missed him once; good thing I've had a good bit of pistol practice.

 This is just a sample; I never took any snake photos for prolly ten years and had more snakes to begin with than for the last 15 years. Plus I didn't ever have a camera on me until the wife got me an iPhone about 10 years ago. So wear those snake boots bird hunting down in Texas; the leg you save may be your own! It is normally a long way to the hospital from the quail lease.

 

Sounds like your life was much more exciting in The Lone Star State?  I'm ok with a little less excitement!!  

Had a buddy here in PA who had a cabin in an area known for rattlers. We were on our way fishing one day and he says, "I killed a couple more rattlesnakes at the cabin last week!" Conservationist I am, I remark, "Ya' know Gerald, the PGC says rattlesnakes are endangered."  "Endangered". he replies. "I wouldn't give a damn if they were extinct!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SelbyLowndes

I usually don't kill the poison ones anymore unless they are around the house...SelbyLowndes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuailhunterNZ

Happy with "extinct ". Happy there's no snakes in NZ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dogrunner
11 hours ago, Skybuster said:

The only good snake......

Is a road pizza. 

5FDDBFA0-4DE9-478B-B01D-C7E85C71BA7F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
11 hours ago, SelbyLowndes said:

I usually don't kill the poison ones anymore unless they are around the house...SelbyLowndes

You know, I've never been a real snake hater at all. Used to collect snakes for the Houston Zoo. But there were so many rattlesnakes and coral snakes where we lived it got overwhelming. Plus we had bird dogs. After finding the 4th or 5th damn rattlesnake in the yard (our "yard" or mowed area was about 1/3 ac) that was it. Each one of those snakes would send even a large man to the hospital for a week or so. If you were lucky; if unlucky you might loose a limb or your life. And you'd pay for a month or so afterwards; I know I was bitten by a copperhead.

  On top of the rattlesnakes we were absolutely overwhelmed with feral hogs (looked just like wild boar in Germany) and javelina. Nasty SoBs and mean. Several times I shot one or the other in self defense at home.

It was all enough to get me in a semi permanent belligerent mood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlacknTan

I had the fear of snakes instilled in me as a child, and it's hard to overcome that, but, for the most part i have, after much conscious effort. Luckily, I;m not exposed to venomous snakes, so the snakes in my areas get a pass. I even feel bad if the brush hog catches one.

That said... poisonous snakes still give me the heebie-jeebies.. but, I guess that they too, have a place in the great scheme of things. I'm just glad that great scheme is not near me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
snapt

I specifically live where I do partially due to the lack of snakes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mister grouse
59 minutes ago, snapt said:

I specifically live where I do partially due to the lack of snakes!

Some of the largest rattlesnakes Ive ever seen have been in Idaho (notably not far off the Snake River appropriately) and also down towards the Nevada corner.  I do think you are on the eastern side though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mister grouse

Shot a huge rattler in Texas that was closing in on me while I was propped up against a large oak  calling in a gobbler ; it was very windy but l just happened to hear the swish- swish of leaves as the snake was coming straight to me at maybe ten feet.  Like OP said, a guy can QUICKLY achieve some serious elevation and backward distance from a kneeling or sitting position with enough motivation.  I  panicked and shot the snake--the gobbler shock gobbled hard at the report of the blast, and he wasn't that far.  I regained enough composure to sit back down, made one more soft hen call,  and  had a dead longbeard to go with the rattler in about ten more minutes.   Got a picture of one in each hand somewhere that I cannot locate right now.  

 

The famous coral snake sayings:

"yellow touching red: you're dead."

"Red touching black: safe for Jack. Red against yellow can kill a fellow.” ... 

Im more fearful of them than any other poisonous snake , although  i think its pretty rare to ever see a bite from them due to the small size of their mouth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gunsrus

Snakes fascinate me , I think they're really cool . That being said , I live in an area that seldom sees a venomous snake . Only recently has a Timber rattler been seen near here . A few years ago in Milton Ma , where the Blue Hills abut some office parks , one was found outside the entrance of an office building sunning on concrete . I used to hike those areas as a kid all day , every day , never saw one . 

I love handling the non venomous snakes we have here . My wife hates the thought of venomous snakes and fears for the dog's safety . For that reason we and the dogs will not retire in Florida. 

Rick , I see why snake boots and the little Browning accompany you .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brad Eden

Snakes also fascinate me....I've caught and handled every species that resides in the northeast (except any rattlesnakes that might be hiding out somewhere) From green snakes, to black racers, to watersnakes, to hog nose etc., ribbon, garter, etc., etc.I can't understand the intense aversion, but I guess that's an evolutionary thing that skipped me. Maybe if I had to watch for poisonous snakes all the time I'd feel differently. 

 

I owned a red tail boa constrictor named Isaac. I bought him in my late teens from a pet store when he was 16" long. I snuck him into my college dorm rooms and could have charged admission on feeding day. Started out with small mice and when he was 6' long rats. He kept outgrowing his cages, and I eventually sold him. Cool critter that was never the least bit aggressive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
snapt
4 hours ago, mister grouse said:

Some of the largest rattlesnakes Ive ever seen have been in Idaho (notably not far off the Snake River appropriately) and also down towards the Nevada corner.  I do think you are on the eastern side though? 

 

Yes, too cold/high for them save for a small pocket in the Teton River canyon, not sure how they survive there. No snakes but we have brown bears so I guess its a trade off ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy
5 hours ago, mister grouse said:

Shot a huge rattler in Texas that was closing in on me while I was propped up against a large oak  calling in a gobbler ; it was very windy but l just happened to hear the swish- swish of leaves as the snake was coming straight to me at maybe ten feet.  Like OP said, a guy can QUICKLY achieve some serious elevation and backward distance from a kneeling or sitting position with enough motivation.  I  panicked and shot the snake--the gobbler shock gobbled hard at the report of the blast, and he wasn't that far.  I regained enough composure to sit back down, made one more soft hen call,  and  had a dead longbeard to go with the rattler in about ten more minutes.   Got a picture of one in each hand somewhere that I cannot locate right now.  

 Love to see the photo; a great story.

I knew a guy who guided for turkey in south Texas (there are one helluva lot of turkeys there). One week he had a "sport" from the North ( a Yankee he said.) This "sport" was wearing the provided aluminum leg guards (never saw such but one of my buds worked for the NPS in the Everglades and he had them too) and after the 3rd rattlesnake strike PONG!! on those leg guards the sport tells him he doesn't want a turkey that bad and heads back at a trot for the truck! I don't blame him a bit either. The same guy guided for quail too, the dogs had all the snake avoidance training but he lost one of his Britts when the dog was struck in the head by a large rattler and the fangs went through the dogs skull. A strike from one of these things is like being hit by a baseball bat.

  That is why we never hunted quail until December or even January even though the season started in November. There are a number of old early 1900s photos of rattlesnakes in the local gummint voting/opns building, several of which show a man with a rattlesnake with either end of the snake on the ground and the snake stretched up running across the man's shoulders. Even if the man were only 5 ft tall those were 8-9 foot snakes any way you cut it. I'm not sorry to be shut of them I confess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×