FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
bmeador

Garden

gwponr

Picked some goodies today

IMG_1675_zpsgqaxoodg.jpg

Brad Eden

IMG_0848.JPGIMG_0849.JPG

My Maine garden has pretty much been put to "bed" for the season. But I'm happy so far with my cold frame experiment. Mixed greens/lettuce about ready to start clipping, and spinach and baby kale too. We are getting high 40's low 50 degree nights now so this should keep us in salads into Fall and early winter.

Speaks

I keep trying at my current house but no luck. I have so many mature oaks that there is nowhere with enough direct sunlight. The closest chance is the middle of my back yard but I dont want it right in the middle of where the dogs play. My next house will be on a bigger acreage and I will ensure there is a spot for a garden. We had a 1 acre garden and I really miss that. 

Brad Eden
5 minutes ago, Speaks said:

I keep trying at my current house but no luck. I have so many mature oaks that there is nowhere with enough direct sunlight. The closest chance is the middle of my back yard but I dont want it right in the middle of where the dogs play. My next house will be on a bigger acreage and I will ensure there is a spot for a garden. We had a 1 acre garden and I really miss that. 

I have a bit of land but it's all gravel, can hardly put a shovel into it. I understand why previous owners put in a raised bed garden area that I inherited. I lived at what was once an organic Farm for 26 years prior to this new place. I do miss the in ground tilled gardens. Raised beds are nice but not as productive as my old place.

kgb

We have a pear tree in the back yard, and when it started bearing fruit my wife started making Jam.  Ginger pear jam is pretty damn good, too.  Last year I hacked the tree way back as it'd gotten a bit riotous with some branches so high I can't reach them with an extension picker and we just had to wait for the pears to turn and drop based on how much the insects, squirrels and birds got to them.  One year Rahne ate a black, shriveled thing and got some kind of bacterial invasion that required a learning trip to the emergency vet.  I don't spray anything on the tree, there is always plenty to go around and it's usually a good yield. 

Last year's hacking must have had an effect on production as the numbers were way down and we didn't get any big ones.  Clean-up usually fills a small wheelbarrow with remnants, this year I got one good sized pot of quality fruit and about 1/3 wheelbarrow of throwaways.  Last night I decided to resurrect the production line and made a batch of plain pear Jam.  Turned out all setting up and sealing, I declared success.

My wife ran a garden for several years, got tired of trying to give away cucumbers and zucchini plus corn smut moved in.

IMG_20180915_121542.jpg

SelbyLowndes

Worst tomato season ever.  Squirrels and red birds had a feast every time one even blushed.  Shoulda pick'em green and fried.    I think we ate one.  Second growth foliage all over now,  but no flowers, no fruit.  Bummer...SelbyLowndes