FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
jeff88

Full size pick-up truck as the daily driver

jeff88

While our car is the body shop, State Farm is paying for a rental for us.  Turns out I got the last ride on the Hertz lot last week, a full size Ram 4x4 with the 5.7.  It's the short bed crew cab.  We live in a semi-urban area and have to say, not loving driving this sized vehicle for day-to-day use.  Parking it is not easy especially in the garages around here, the slots seem pretty narrow.  In traffic it's  a lot less nimble than either of our rides, a Infiniti g37 and an Acura mdx. Highways are fine and visibility is all-around good.  This will not easily fit in our garage bays, mirrors have to be folded in, this particular truck doesn't have power folding mirrors like our former Expedition.  Not having problems driving it, just not liking it much.  I have a friends who use one every day as their regular ride, they seem to be OK about it.   What do you think of driving this size ride every day?

Here's the truck:

20180818_140412.jpg

Don Steese

Getting around in mine isn't an issue but 12mpg can take a bit of getting used to!!  Rides stiff as a buckboard too!!20180513_143817.thumb.jpg.234be6c4fddcfe4c4a878ec7cc55b06a.jpg

aje4

Sounds like it doesn’t fit your area or desire of daily driver.  I have an F350 but I don’t use it for a daily driver primarily because of fuel economy.  Otherwise, none of the issues you brought up would be a determining factor.....

Brad Eden

IMG_0201.JPGIMG_0536.JPG

Can't imagine not driving a 1-2 ton sized PU truck every day. (Although the first gen Tundras drive like a Camry, ridiculously comfortable for a truck) Always hauling something in back, garbage to transfer station, lumber for one project or another, treestands, tools, dead animals...I stopped even trying to do parallel parking. Truck is too long and the visibility is compromised with a cap on back. When we travel we rent smaller type sedan cars, even got a mustang on one trip since the lot was low. Fun to drive but I like being up high with some weight under me.

mccuha

Wouldn’t want to drive anything else but a full size crew. I don’t live in a big city but if I did I don’t think it would matter to me. It’s all about what you are used to.  If I had long commutes I might would want a smaller better gas mileage vehicle. 

mccuha
Just now, mccuha said:

Wouldn’t want to drive anything else but a full size crew. I don’t live in a big city but if I did I don’t think it would matter to me. It’s all about what you are used to.  If I had long commutes I might would want a smaller better gas mileage vehicle. 

Wonder when they going to make a Prius truck👍

C.J.L.

Hey, a truck is a manly vehicle and us men  have zero issues with them so toughen up butter cup :). Kinda kidding.    Where I live, half the vehicles on the road are trucks and I've had a truck of some kind in the driveway for 35 years.  I put about 60k miles on mine each year so I buy Titans that are a few years old and turn them over every 2 or 3 years.  Last car I had was an Audi A4 and I about torn the undercarriage out crossing a trickle on a mountain in Montana 12 years ago. That trickle turned into a crick quarter mile down the track the second time I crossed it and it turned into a river the 3rd time I tried to cross it.  I didn't make it across the 3rd time :( but it was fun trying.  

For for more info on trucks, Google Pickup Man by Joe Diffie

blanked

I know that house😀

terrym

I actually drive a Ram Quad cab hemi 4x4 as my daily driver. Company used to supply us minivans and switched over to Rams 5 rears ago. I get over 700kms per fill up easily ( regular not premium) and it rides like a caddy. You learn to park it backed in and rarely near a door. I used to drive SUV's but love this truck. Dogs love the wide back seat 🐶

Mike da Carpenter

I drive a 2014 Silverado Crew Cab.  Live in the fringe suburbs of Detroit and wouldn’t think of driving anything less.  14 MPG is the norm, and you just get used to it.  Having all that metal around me, in a world of dumba$$ drivers, is reassuring.  Not to mention the truck gets me, my boys and GSP anywhere we could possibly want to go.  I’m just not, and never been, a car guy.  I’ll more than likely always have a truck.

SODAKer

I drive a 2011 Tundra daily. Parking is a pain at times but makes for a good walk otherwise and I only drive 4 miles to work so MPG doesn't impact me.  

I was on the verge of moving it down the road but every vacation trip says keep it. We don't pack, we just throw the chit in (i have a topper) and move on down the road. 

jeff88
3 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

Where I live, half the vehicles on the road are trucks and I've had a truck of some kind in the driveway for 35 years.

And where I live, more than half the rides are trucks, I live in TX!  This is the PU capitol of the universe.  😉 Guess that's why this is so intriguing to me.

Anyway, since I don't drive a pickup, always wondered what it would be like to drive one every day, so far, all y'all can have them.  The Expy was big enough.  I am also an ex-Teamster, have driven trucks of all sizes including dump trucks and school bus.  I'm gaining some empathy for full size PU drivers in crowded areas with this Ram.  Guess if I had an actual need for one, I'd appreciate their virtues more.  The vehicle I learned to drive - a late '50's PU with three on the tree around a cemetery the summer after 9th grade.  My co-worker and I used it to haul mowers around cutting grass and using hand clippers for the tombstone trimming, no weed whackers back then. 

3 hours ago, blanked said:

I know that house😀

It does look like a TX house, doesn't it?

NECarson

I drove a GMC version of the rental the past few years. I'm glad to be back in a 3/4 ton. 

Not as easy to park as something smaller, but it's never bothered me. I still parallel park and regularly go downtown. 

Fur and Feathers

My everyday driver is a 17 ram 1500 crew can with a 3.6l, I get on average 22-23 mpg and it is by far the nicest riding truck I have owned. That being said I live in a very rural area where parking and space is never an issue,. I drove 25 miles to work at 6am this morning and I can count on one hand the vehicles I passed. I can see where it could be a real pita in more congested areas especially parking.

gaberdeen

Been doing it for 4 going on 5 yrs now. Next one I want is a 2500.

07294A5C-4402-476A-8158-FB24135E3208.jpeg