jeff88

Full size pick-up truck as the daily driver

Kansas Bound

I have a F150 and can't stand driving it around town. I bought a car to drive around and take clients out.

Windrider

I’m the great state of Texas a pickup is almost as likely to be found in the executive parking area of a major company as a Mercedes sedan.

That being said, I’ve been pickup free for a smidge over 5 years.  This isn’t my second try at a pickup free life.  The first pass lasted 12 months.  The full size pickups have just gotten so big and the bed length on the compacts seems to have shortened to the point I can’t sleep stretched out in them. Not to mention what’s happened to the prices of the big trucks.

The new Chevy Colorado and the upcoming Ford Ranger are just about the same physical size as I remember the full size trucks of the 70s-early 90s.  I’d take a hard look at those.

Ain’t no way I’m driving one of today’s full size beasts around town again.  

Craig Doherty

Traffic can be a killer here -- I almost had to stop at the stop sign the other day -- and parking can be a little tight when there's four or five full size trucks visiting the kennel at the same time -- can't imagine life without a full-size crew cab.

Current ride's an '18 Silverado that I got just before heading South last December.

IMG_2861.thumb.JPG.d536a69230078ccc7a2277e4bba63cf6.JPG

Samuel Hoggson

Drove F-350s daily,  work and play, for most my career.  Got the first 7.3 12/88 - kept it 17 yrs.  Next was purchased 12/00.  Sold it couple months ago to a kid who appreciates the 7.3L Int engine.  Both had manual trans.  Suspension stiffness never bothered me, maybe just used to it.  They sure as heck made winter drives to Bangor a near non-issue.  As long as my tires were good nothing else I saw on Rt 15 all those years was as bankable on slippery.  That much weight over the front drive wheels made it even better than my wife's V70XC.  

First one had reg cab w/8' bed.  Didn't like the Supercab w/6.75' bed as much.  But we had kids, so........  

After retiring wife and I figured one last truck.  Will be 80 in 17 years.  She said "get whatever you want".  That means no back seat for kids.  And an 8' bed. 

So took this home last Friday.

IMG_0773.thumb.JPG.e397930d0e6f80ff5b068e8942b97488.JPG     

3/4 ton, 6.2L gas, and automatic this time.  I must have shrunk - it needs a step.  Wide, too.  Has just 1" clearance on each side going through the pole barn door.  Fold a mirror in winter.  Looks like about 16 mpg so far.  The 6.7L diesel would have better mpg but more expensive fuel and an extra $11k up front.  And they aren't the 7.3 Int engines.

I keep reaching for the shift knob, tho. 

25/06

I drive a 3/4 ton Dodge Laramie for work.... Loaded up like a car but it has air suspension so it rides stiffer. The steering is the older pitman system so it is not

as precise as some.

I have a 1/2 ton crew cab short box ford as my personal car but wife and I only use it for hunting and long trips. the half ton has fluffy suspensions and a rack and pinion

it is the most car like I have driven.

I think the hardest thing to get used to going from a sedan or small SUV is the fact the vehicle is 6" wider. I know my wife has to have a couple of stabs at a parking spot sometimes.

Having said that If you need to drive across country give me a full sized truck every time over any sedan or sports car. Just the fact that you can adjust the seat so you are

sitting down and your legs are not stretched out in front of you adds to the comfort immeasurably.  I can drive very long days and not feel weary when I get out.

The full sized trucks are as quite as a car, have all the latest gadgets (if you need that stuff)  and are rated as some of the safest vehicles on the road. You will note

that when they rate vehicles for safety the categorize them for size. I few years ago they lowered the insurance cost on the Suburban type full sized truck based SUV's.

This was done based on accident statistics and the insurance institute testing.

Having said that If I lived in the Big towns of the East coast I would probable drive one the compact trucks.... Driving thru a drive up window lane or a parking ramp can get a

little tight.

chilly460

I drive either a '96 GMC C1500 or a '17 F150 4x4 daily, living in suburbs of Richmond, VA.  

I agree, it's a pain in the butt fighting with parking.  I'm just waiting for the '96 to die (355k on the clock) and I'll be getting a small car.  I tow a car and trailer so I'll always need a truck, but for day to day commuting I'd much prefer a car.   Wouldn't mind doing better than 17mpg around town either.  

jeff88

While still not loving this loaner as a daily driver around town, had a chance yesterday to use it as it is intended.  Threw the Mtn bike in the back and headed to Davy Crockett for a logging road trail ride.  Picked up a buddy with his bike along the way.  On the highway it was very nice, rides and drives really well.  On the dirt roads it was perfectly at home.  These roads have all been navigated easily by the Expy and the MDX, could not find anything challenging enough for the Ram though I tried.

One of my neighbors asked me on Saturday if this was my new vehicle; I told him it was, that now all I need is a boat, a ranch and a barn to go with it.  Then I explained it was a loaner for my wife's car and had chuckle.  Next thing was a request from him to haul a bunch of stuff from his garage to the dump/recycling center.  Gotta say folks, these things are dangerous!  

sloth5202

I live in the MN suburbs but drive downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul all the time.  I love my Ram 1500 and you just get used to the size.  Mine is a 2017 and it rides and drives like a dream.  Lots of fun!

Clueless1

Driving a '14 F150 daily now.  Usually drive a small car for work and around and keep a truck for hunting/hauling/towing the boat etc.  When my son started driving last year I was not going to 4 cars so he drives the old beater Honda CRV and I upgraded truck from 2001 that was a definitely not a daily driver to this one.  As the kids move along this one will be relegated to third vehicle again.  If we have to go to the city (Pgh mostly) I try not to take it.  Was in one parking garage that the antenna was hitting off every cross beam.  Scary.  Thought for sure we were going to get stuck. 

Flush

A gas 1/2 ton truck with a short bed doesn't seem like a very big vehicle, at least by truck standards. I guess it's all relative.

Hub

I suppose it's about what you are used to driving.  I have a 4 door crew cab long box F-150.  It's obscenely long.  I don't have any trouble parallel parking it or squeezing in into my parking ramp in downtown Minneapolis, but you have to watch what you are doing because it's a tight fit.   Same thing pulling into my garage at home, I have to account for the mirrors and pull within a few inches of my wall so the garage door can close.  While that is a pain, I like that my ice house slides right into the back.  I like that I have room for my dog box and tons of gear on extended trips.  I like being able to pull my 4-wheeler right into the back.  My wife has a GMC equinox and we drive it around town more because it's easier to park, but my F-150 has a way better ride for long trips.  As a life long truck owner I hate not being able to see over the majority of cars in front of me when I rent a car.  Living in snow country I like having a big vehicle with good clearance for driving on lakes and on snowed in back country roads.  

dogrunner

I've had 13 F150s since 94 so I have drove them a bunch. I do like being up higher especially on the expressway because you can see whats happening earlier than in a car. The 2014 rode better than the 16 aluminium version. They do need to get a tighter turning radius than what the current version has but other than that I like driving a truck. 

E.Young

I had the same truck from Enterprise for a few weeks this spring. I will admit the ride was better than my Tacoma and I got more respect when merging on the beltway, but living and working and commuting in a city, it was a chore to drive. Those of you not on the East Coast don't have any idea how nice you've got it when it comes to car-centric urban planning.

NECarson
23 hours ago, Hub said:

I suppose it's about what you are used to driving.  I have a 4 door crew cab long box F-150.  It's obscenely long.  I don't have any trouble parallel parking it or squeezing in into my parking ramp in downtown Minneapolis, but you have to watch what you are doing because it's a tight fit.   Same thing pulling into my garage at home, I have to account for the mirrors and pull within a few inches of my wall so the garage door can close.  While that is a pain, I like that my ice house slides right into the back.  I like that I have room for my dog box and tons of gear on extended trips.  I like being able to pull my 4-wheeler right into the back.  My wife has a GMC equinox and we drive it around town more because it's easier to park, but my F-150 has a way better ride for long trips.  As a life long truck owner I hate not being able to see over the majority of cars in front of me when I rent a car.  Living in snow country I like having a big vehicle with good clearance for driving on lakes and on snowed in back country roads.  

I didn't realize Ford made a 4 door F150 with an 8' bed. That's pretty cool! 

henryrski

I drive '14 F250,4door with a long bed and 4 wheel drive. I'll admit I rarely drive it in the city (Philly). However when we head North, West or South for hunting or fishing it can't 'be beat. I am probably the world's worst parallel parker so I don't even try with that beast.