FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
blanked

So help me pick out a tractor

blanked

I have asked this before but I am needing more out of a tractor than I realized in the last post.  Never lived in snow. Will be moving to a 7 acre lot in north Idaho.  I will have 500 yards of gravel road to plow 2 feet of snow in a normal year , 4 feet in a severe year.   Also need to remove rose bushes all over the property.  Rose bushes are about 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide.  Hoping I can just hack them off at the base with a bucket attachment.  And thirdly need to be able to keep the grass and brush short all over the property.  About 30% the land has about a 20% grade so If tractor stability is good and bad on certain choices need to factor that in.  Money will be an issue until the day I die so Chinese tractor new vs used kubota or John Deere and attachments mean a lot to me

Natty Bumpo

This is always a touchy subject because everybody who has ever bought a tractor of any kind is convinced he/she made the "right decision". And will defend it to the death. So I'll start and say "Go Orange".  We bot a KUBOTA L3010 new in 1999 and haven't had even one minutes trouble with it. Starts right up @ -25F. Re snow, we live in "Lake Effect Central" Michigan, the NW Lower. Can get snow six months of the year and tons at times too, 275" in the winter of 2013-14 right where we live. You must have a FEL; period!

You could go  snow plow, snowblower (front or rear mount) , or just use your bucket to push and pile snow. It depends entirely on your setup. We run a 60" brushhog, 7 ft double gang disk, 60" rototiller, sprayer, spreader and cultipacker with that tractor  all without breathing hard. That's plenty of tractor for seven acres and probably you can get by with one considerably smaller.  My brother has a Kubota and many of my friends/ hunting partner too. All very happy they went Orange. I know Green, Blue and Red are some good tractors too.  A whole lot depends on the dealer nearby too.

Buying a used tractor advice is waaaay  above my pay grade!  Good Luck!

NB

mccuha

If you can figure out a way to swing a Kubota whether new or used. They are hard to beat and tough as nails.  i would get a 4wd and a loader if you can.  You will be able to do a lot with it

BlacknTan
6 minutes ago, Natty Bumpo said:

This is always a touchy subject because everybody who has ever bought a tractor of any kind is convinced he/she made the "right decision". And will defend it to the death. So I'll start and say "Go Orange".  We bot a KUBOTA L3010 new in 1999 and haven't had even one minutes trouble with it. Starts right up @ -25F. Re snow, we live in "Lake Effect Central" Michigan, the NW Lower. Can get snow six months of the year and tons at times too, 275" in the winter of 2013-14 right where we live. You must have a FEL; period!

You could go  snow plow, snowblower (front or rear mount) , or just use your bucket to push and pile snow. It depends entirely on your setup. We run a 60" brushhog, 7 ft double gang disk, 60" rototiller, sprayer, spreader and cultipacker with that tractor  all without breathing hard. That's plenty of tractor for seven acres and probably you can get by with one considerably smaller.  My brother has a Kubota and many of my friends/ hunting partner too. All very happy they went Orange. I know Green, Blue and Red are some good tractors too.  A whole lot depends on the dealer nearby too.

Buying a used tractor advice is waaaay  above my pay grade!  Good Luck!

NB

Listen to Natty Bumpo!

My dealer to me that no one makes a better tractor than Kubota.. Some are just as good, but none better. I think he was right..

Rear snowblowers cheaper and tougher that front, and allow the loader to stay attached. Try to avoid the newer DFS models, if at all possible..

WPG Gizmo

Dealers need to sell equipment so they are always going to say theirs stuff is best every time.  The reality is that most of the tractors now are fairly equal to each other what I would do is make a list of the attachments you want and shop the package to see who will give the best deal for what you want.   At work we have found it is cheaper to lease the equipment for long term rather then purchase we have Deere heavy equipment.  The lease we have says that the dealer will maintain the equipment and they are very good at coming out when we have a problem.  Yes you dont own it and your making a monthly payment but if you find that 2-3 years down the road you need bigger then you have it is a easy upgrade.

Natty Bumpo

One more thing; my dealer urged me to get loaded tires. They help make your tractor stay glued to the ground and safer on slopes of any kind. Also you definitely need a roll bar and seat belt on any kind of hilly land.

Kansas Big Dog

My suggestion is a green 40+hp mfwd with gears, not a hydrostat. If is not to rocky, you will want to dig the rose bushes up and get most of the roots. Nothing against orange, but pretty much all green around here.

co_setter

Service is key.  See what local dealers you have and choose among them. 

I like fluid in the tires to help with stability and traction.  You should have a roll bar and seat belt.  I know of way too many people that either died or were badly injured by tractors on less than 20% grade.  If you are going across slope and the downhill tire hits a hole, odds are good that you are going over.

Rear mounted blades, front end loaders, even ATV's can handle seasonal snow totals of 2-4 feet, depending upon terrain. 

I would try herbicides instead of digging as roses can sprout from root segments.  Penn State Multiflora Rose Control Info

I would take a hard look at what you want to accomplish by regularly mowing 7 acres of steeper terrain.  You can spend and lot of time and money doing stuff that may not need to be done.

Snipeaholic

Not a clue about handling snow. I have a L3901 Kubota and love it. Loaded tires & added a grapple attachment to the mix. Moved 18 yards of asphalt millings around to various spots on my drive effortlessly and spread it with the float function of the bucket. Loader accessories are super-easy to change out.

Kubota does offer some financing incentives if interested in that.

It does help that my cousin owns the local Kubota Dealership and lives one mile down the road from me. He picks up and delivers back when service is needed. Hard to beat orange with that service available.

Around here some money can be saved by buying a Mahindra or Chinese but good used tractors are rare as hen's teeth and are strongly priced.

Natty Bumpo
6 hours ago, Snipeaholic said:

Around here some money can be saved by buying a Mahindra or Chinese but good used tractors are rare as hen's teeth and are strongly priced.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

When we moved here 20 years ago, I knew we needed a good tractor to handle all the snow and everything else on a 10 acre property out in the country. So I went used tractor shopping all over northern Michigan. Dealers, farm auctions, tractor forums, various websites, word of mouth, etc, etc. Looked real hard for 5-6 months; most everything in the 20-30 HP/4WD range was "beat up, used up and wore out"; literally. Very frustrating. Real nice used tractors like that I did find were priced close to brand new.

So Kubota had a promotion going on with very attracting financing. Around here, almost all really nice, well maintained tractors are passed on to family, friends or neighbors and are rarely seen for sale. I didn't like buying somebody else's troubles. Good Luck.

NW River Mac

I've had green and orange.  My preference is green because the fit and finish is much better.  Who hasn't seen a very faded orange tractor in someone's yard.  If you can keep it under cover and out of the sun orange is just fine.  Mahindra and the new blue tractors work well too.  If you want to clear those bushes in a day then get a bigger tractor.  I think most folk over buy the size of their tractors.  I would think a 20 hp or less would do the job for you.

Jim Vander

I have a 20HP green 4wd and loader. Its fine for my needs and never felt like I needed more but I don't have to deal with snow or at least not often. I think 4wd is a must as is a loader. 

I do wish it had hydro transmission, when doing a lot of loader work its a bit of a hassle. 

I was pretty shocked by new prices and kept an eye out for used. Turns out a lot of guys who thought landscape business were a good venture get cash strapped in off season and I found mine that way. 

Brad Eden

I've been in the tractor hunt for a while now. Here is a very lengthy Topic to review.

I'm hoping to have a subcompact (the smallest Model) ensconced in my garage by October. Finances will dictate that reality. I'm going with Kubota mainly because of resale since there is an expiration date as to how many more years/winters we may stay in Maine. I take very good care of my equipment and expect to be able to sell it quite easily when the time comes. I already have a big snowthrower and a plow for truck. But after 3/4 of a Maine winter has gone by I need to be able to actually pick up and MOVE snow. Doesn't matter how far back I've plowed or thrown the snow. Need that bucket. May add a plow or a snowthrower attachment later if needed. I also have a lot of non winter chores I want to use a tractor for.  (Also does not need a mower deck since my JD lawn tractor is the right tool for my yard) Going new I think, need the financing. Used sub compacts go like hot cakes, and frankly, as tough as these tractors are, they get the crap beat out of them, and I don't like to purchase other people's problems.

Natty Bumpo
59 minutes ago, Jim Vander said:

I do wish it had hydro transmission, when doing a lot of loader work its a bit of a hassle. 

My Kubota dealer sold me on the shuttle-shift they have now. Kind of a cross between the hydro and the old standard gearbox. I really like it and it makes all loader/snowblower work a breeze.

TJK68

I live on 120 acres and have 80 that adjoins me leased. I used to have a JD 90hp when I was cutting hay, when I know longer was cutting hay, I sold it for a smaller one. I settled on a 35hp Massey, Good tractor, but I miss my big one. I have looked and operated all of them over the years, not much difference in any, if you want my humble opinion. Many friends I have that farm have different brands, like I said, not a big difference. Get a 4x4, loaded tires, and go bigger then what you think you need, you will regret it if you don't. Something in the high 40hp to the low 50hp is the perfect all around tractor. IMHO.... Green, Orange, Red, in one of the major brands, no difference, find the best dealer with good reputation, that is important. Ford, Chevy, Dodge, same with tractors, everyone swears the one they bought is best. Good Luck.