FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Rogue Hunter

shooting glasses w/cheaters

Rogue Hunter

I need a good pair of shooting glasses with cheaters in the lens: changeable lens in clear, yellow, and vermillion (for bright days?). Can anyone suggest a pair/brand?

FlyChamps

I haven't found any.  I wear plano shooting glasses and keep a pair of drug-store cheaters in my shooting bag or vest when necessary for close up work.  My wife does the same - both of us can see up close well enough to score - provided the names are written large and bold.

Jazz4Brazo

I finally bit the bullet and got progressive readers...they happened to have a buy one get one free promo at the time so I was able to get a pair of tinted safety glasses made up with my reading prescription on bottom...would only use for them for hunting when I would need to be able to read an Alpha...good luck in your search.

If it had not been for the freebie set I would have went with similar cheaters for $10 -$15/pair...Google is your friend on this one.

Cold Iron

The best grinder for shooting glasses was Mike at Post 4 Optics IMO. I say was because Mike died a few months ago. Found out when my orange lens broke and was going to replace them. Next up from most shooters I know would be Morgan Optical. Like Mike he is also a shooter. There are others but those are (were) the top ones that most shooters use that I know. Some are now buying the stick on cheaters that recently came out and trimming to fit Plano lenses.

One thing to keep in mind is that as you age you need stronger cheaters so the glasses will only work so long. My original Post 4 Optics lenses that I had ground don't help with reading anymore but they still obviously work as shooting glasses. Eventually I might try the stick on cheaters but for now I carry a set of cheater glasses and switch when I need to. And carry 3 sets of cheaters when in the woods hunting along with wearing bifocal safety glasses. Clear but also have a pair in light yellow. 

I like Light Target Orange tint and clear the best for shooting. Normally try to stick with clear. I have several different tints and shades of purple they have pretty much replaced the vermilion glasses for me. And are popular for a reason. Color Mag, purple passion, they are all pretty much the same. But has to be a lot of sunlight for them to work IME. And then when the sun goes behind a cloud watching other shooters noticed I often hear "lost". I don't wear them often. Good luck in your search.

steveziv
On 8/20/2018 at 12:05 AM, Cold Iron said:

Some are now buying the stick on cheaters that recently came out and trimming to fit Plano lenses.

Interesting, I'll have to try these on my hunting glasses.  I might be able to start using more gps functions.

It might get crowded with my Magic Dot already on one lens.

beaa2083-238c-4d86-b600-a4415e71c0c8_1.0

French Brittany28

Ditto on Morgan Optical. Wayne is a super guy. Most knowledgeable.  Wont steer you wrong.

Spider

Check Rudy Project.  I think they make the Rydons with some cheater lenses.  They are excellent shooting glasses. 

hexfly

Randolph optics -- buy once cry once.  Prescription lenses with lined bifocal about $500.  they have about 20 colors of lenses.  As for the stick on cheaters, they work well enough for our purposes.  In fact, my buddy buy single vision sunglasses and puts the cheater on his non dominate eye only. It works for him

ARKBRDHUNTER

Decot is what I use. I get my distance rx only in the lens I shoot targets and a clear with bifocal rx ( don't mess with the tri focal) in what I hunt with. The bifocal is low on the lens and does not interfere when gun is mounted but can use the lower when looking at garmin. Like all shooting glasses the original cost with frames hurts some but after that it is just replacement lens as needed. 

vabirddog
On 8/21/2018 at 9:47 AM, steveziv said:

It might get crowded with my Magic Dot already on one lens.

I'm getting that picture :), but will probably resemble it soon.

steveziv

Here's what it looks like.  Used these for dove hunting and the cheaters were not a distraction.  Helps that these are big lenses.

HMxo2D1.jpg

Jazz4Brazo

Thats a great pic showing both the cheater and magic dot...thanks.

dvmweb

Um, just give in and have your optometrist make you a pair.

Windrider

I just got my first pair of bifocals two days ago. I can barely find the ground, but reading is awesome.

Dont see how anyone hits anything with these, but I guess I’ll learn...right after hunting season.