FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Speaks

Crate

Speaks

Hey guys, 

Planning for my new pup to come home and thinking about crates. With the exception of a small plastic puppy crate I have used a couple times I have always used wire crates, not sure why I made that choice I bought them so long ago. It seems most hunting guys use plastic, my assumption was always that this was more because they were using for transport and that would clearly be a better option in a truck bed. 

My primary use is for containment of young dogs in the house up until they are about 2 and and can be trusted to move freely (I do have baby gates placed strategically to keep them out of off limit rooms and to keep either in the living room/kitchen or family room when I choose). One of my hounds never did graduate from hers (still a chewer, and really just likes her crate and will crate herself if she is getting a little cranky), but all the others did.

I dont intend to use for transport, we have taught all our pups to ride nicely in the car from a young age and do have a harness seatbelt attachment if they are a bit squirrely when learning. Anyway I have a tonneau on the truck so a crate cant easily go back there even if I wanted to. 

It could in theory be a dog house while camping on a hunt trip, I have never had this need though and most of the time my bird hunting trips are to my cabin. This would clearly be a better use for a plastic crate, but again dont really see it being likely. 

For in house containment it seems like plastic should be better, more den like, and provide more of a secure feel for the pup. Whenever I have tried to use the small plastic crate they dont seem to like it and do better when moved to wire. This may just be an initial reaction though and one they would get over. 

Are there any other pros/cons I am missing? I will likely buy a new crate either way as my wire ones (other than the one the hound is still using) are pretty old and beat up.

terrym

I use a wire crate to contain my pup ( not a pup really anymore, 2yrs old) when we aren't home but she has free run of house when we are home and doesn't sleep in it. She actually sleeps in our bed, total bed bug. When travelling to train or hunt she rides in back seat of truck in a plastic crate. I will never remove the crate as it's great protection for her and my home and she just trots right in when she knows we're about to leave her behind. 

Cooter Brown

Wire crate at the house, plastic in vehicle.

If you feel the dog wants to den up drape a blanket over the wire crate.

I also use the wire crate for a long trip on which I'll be staying at a cabin etc.  Dismantles for travel and allows me to leave the plastic crate in the hunting vehicle.

martyg

Always in a very substantial crate in the vehicle. I've known too many who have lost canines - canines that are well behaved, know vehicles, blahblahblah - because they were not crated.

https://gearjunkie.com/gunner-kennels-review

Chukarman

I have a umber of wire crates and don't use plastic anymore. The wire ones fold up for storage and I can see through them if I have them in the back of the Landcruiser. When on longer trips or with more dogs, I use the 4 hole topper on my truck.

I ALWAYS grate my dogs when traveling for their safety and my peace of mind.

Cooter Brown
3 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

I ALWAYS grate my dogs when traveling

Well that's just mean.

Brad Eden

I only use a plastic crate for initial house training. My dogs generally have free reign of the house by 6-8 months. (Springers) Then the crate goes into storage until the next puppy. I don't crate in vehicle,as I am basically a homebody so trips to bird covers are in the 5-15 minute range, except for the 2.5 hr trip to camp. I'm down to one hunting dog and he stays in back seat of truck cab as does the little Cav Spaniel. No amount of horror stories or guilt will change that. Different strokes and all that.

oak stob

I use a wire crate for in the house while housebreaking.....plywood panel installed to reduce the area and then enlarge or remove as pup grows.

Noisy tho.

I have a collapsible wire crate somewhere, which is nice for short term travel when space may be an issue...otherwise, my opinion of wire is why I have no clue to it’s location.

Heavy composites in truck...behind front seat and under topper.

No crate use in house beyond housebreaking.

May use the extra kennel beside my outside setter should the need arise.

As an aside, I did buy a Dog Den for Emerson....he took to it well and it seemed to help re lightning fear.

braque du upstate

I'm a crate fan. Wire and plastic both have a place.  Craigslist usually has deals . 

Chukarman
3 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

Well that's just mean.

Well, Cooter, I must be a mean SOB then. 😉

Cooter Brown
10 minutes ago, Chukarman said:

Well, Cooter, I must be a mean SOB then. 😉

Or have dogs made of cheese.

Chukarman

if so they could be emergency rations!

scottspec2

I'm a fan of plastic crates for puppies as there are less ways they can chew on it and harm themselves, as apposed to a wire kennel. I did keep Watson in a wire kennel when I managed my family's music store (back in the day), as it was kept out in the common area and was intended as a socialization method. I also prefer plastic for vehicle travel as I feel it contains the dog better, but if they're inside the vehicle (like and SUV or car as opposed to a pickup bed), then I don't think it matters as much. I have a Ruff Tough in the Birdvan, but that is also in part for the water reservoir topper made a convenient water storage solution for my needs.

frak

I use both wire and plastic.  Whatever is handy.

Plastic if I need to fly ‘em, since that’s what the airlines like.  

Oh, and also the lightweight canvas sort.  i’ll pile everyone into wire crates in the suv, but will have the canvas crates folded and slid on top of the wire crates for later use at the motel.  

My older dog actually has a preference for sleeping in his canvas crate in our bedroom.  

Mike Connally

I’m seriously considering buying a two hole Owen’s aluminum crate for my pickup bed. I’ve always used a topper and plastic crates. 

I’m interested in hearing about how those crates protect the dogs in the rain or cold weather compared to a topper. 

Woops! 

Never mind. Just saw the thread on Owens dog boxes.