FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Windrider

Lacrosse Uplander opinions

Windrider

I’ve been wearing 16” bean Maine hunting boots for several years for woodcock and snipe hunting and I’ve enjoyed them with a couple of issues I’d like to get past.

1). The world is not flat so I need more aggressive tread, but not so aggressive that mud collects on the boot like a Bob sole.  I look like George Jetson walking Astro on some of the hills between the hunting spots.

2)   When sliding (see #1), the soft  sole is prone to being cut by rocks imbedded in the clay or mud.  Shoe goop repairs, while waterproof, do not aid in my quest for  good traction.

3). I like the height, but wouldn’t mind going a bit shorter so I could tuck them under my brush pants.  Brush pants between my body and the honey locust trees would be an outcome I’d look favorably on.

So,  anyone use the Lacrosse Uplander or another style boot you would recommend.

Note:  I have long skinny feet and have never been able to use rubber Wellies or Much boots without significant blisters.  Lace up boots are a necessity.

E.Young

I have tried the Lacrosse and Muck and Bogs and find the Bogs to be the best for me. They've been pretty bullet-proof, too. The main drawback of Muck and Lacrosse for me, actually, was that they were so bulky I absolutely could NOT drive my truck with them on - they wouldn't fit under the dash, over the pedals, and in front of the seat. I do have a larger foot, size 13, and drive a Tacoma - neither helping my cause. 

duluthUPLAND
20 hours ago, Windrider said:

Note:  I have long skinny feet and have never been able to use rubber Wellies or Much boots without significant blisters.  Lace up boots are a necessity.

I'm biased as they sponsor my podcast but I suggest at least giving Gumleaf a look. I wear the Viking model and I feel the european sizing translates to a long, slender footbed. The outsole profile is much sleeker than a Lacrosse or Muck boot. I really like mine. I don't wear anything else in the grouse woods.

If you have any questions let me know.

https://www.gumleafusa.com/

Windrider
17 hours ago, duluthUPLAND said:

I'm biased as they sponsor my podcast but I suggest at least giving Gumleaf a look. I wear the Viking model and I feel the european sizing translates to a long, slender footbed. The outsole profile is much sleeker than a Lacrosse or Muck boot. I really like mine. I don't wear anything else in the grouse woods.

If you have any questions let me know.

https://www.gumleafusa.com/

I’m always looking to add another source of information.  Which podcast is that?

2 Ugly Dogs
13 hours ago, Windrider said:

I’m always looking to add another source of information.  Which podcast is that?

The Project Upland Podcast I believe🤘🏼

duluthUPLAND
14 hours ago, Windrider said:

22 minutes ago, 2 Ugly Dogs said:

The Project Upland Podcast I believe🤘🏼

Yep! I host the Project Upland Podcast.

https://www.projectupland.com/wingshooting-podcast/

dogrunner
On 8/21/2018 at 10:11 PM, E.Young said:

I have tried the Lacrosse and Muck and Bogs and find the Bogs to be the best for me. They've been pretty bullet-proof, too. The main drawback of Muck and Lacrosse for me, actually, was that they were so bulky I absolutely could NOT drive my truck with them on - they wouldn't fit under the dash, over the pedals, and in front of the seat. I do have a larger foot, size 13, and drive a Tacoma - neither helping my cause. 

I also like Bogs better than muck. 

Windrider
8 hours ago, duluthUPLAND said:

Yep! I host the Project Upland Podcast.

https://www.projectupland.com/wingshooting-podcast/

Sweet podcast!

i just started listening to that a couple of months ago.  I’m on episode 14.

Flairball

I asked a similar question here some years ago. The consensus steered me towards the LaCross Alpha Burly. Highly recommend it. It’s am ankle fit boot, so it doesn’t wear like a rubber boot, and it’s got great traction. I’ve also got a pair of Hunter Balmorals, which I like because the have a full zip side gusset, but they’re heavier than the Alpha Burlys. When I wear out the ABs I will get another pair. 

Chukarman

I have Burlys and like them well enough, but I don't use them much for walking except for snipe hunting.

LaCrosse used to make a lace top rubber pac with air bob soles that I like for elk hunting in winter weather. Don't know if they still make it. It has available felt inserts and if extremely warm and easy to walk in. Offers good traction, too.