FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
C.J.L.

Checking your E collar?

C.J.L.

How many guys have actually checked what it's like to get zapped on all settings of their E collar?  I was able to manage up to 2 on my Multi Sport and that really sucked. I wouldn't want to try 3 on myself.  I'd say "Yes Sir, whatever you want" if I was told I was going to get a #3 poke. 

Not against E collars and use mine now and again but wondering if you know what you're dishing out when you push the button? And yeah I know the political correct answers are going to dominate but be honest.  This is a no judge zone and much respect for real answers and reasons. 

terrym

I wouldn't put it on my dog without testing it on my wife first 😎

seriously though, of course I test it on myself. Probably the biggest mistake people make is not using the longer probes on long haired dogs. When properly setup you will find lower settings work well. 

C.J.L.
8 minutes ago, terrym said:

I wouldn't put it on my dog without testing it on my wife first 😎

seriously though, of course I test it on myself. Probably the biggest mistake people make is not using the longer probes on long haired dogs. When properly setup you will find lower settings work well. 

My second wife (yeah, I know) I was going to poke with a cattle prod are Tractor Supply once and she said "you better not" so I tried it on myself cause I didn't think it was loaded........Mother F*%&$*(#, it was. My arm didn't work the rest of that day.  DNA thing

Mike Connally

I came home from work, many years ago, to find my young son and his friends testing my e-collar on each other. It worked very well. 

I remeber holding my e-collar in my hand and placing it near my ear to hear the slight sound it makes when you use it. Inadvertently I had placed my fingers over the prongs, on the highest setting. 

I’ll never do that again. On me or the dog. 

ESetterSage

I dont use the e collar on my setter when hunting only the bell. Hate the e collar but it worked to keep her out of the street. I know they help progress but what did everyone do before they were invented. 

finsfurfeathers
6 hours ago, C.J.L. said:

How many guys have actually checked what it's like to get zapped on all settings of their E collar?  I was able to manage up to 2 on my Multi Sport and that really sucked. I wouldn't want to try 3 on myself.  I'd say "Yes Sir, whatever you want" if I was told I was going to get a #3 poke. 

Not against E collars and use mine now and again but wondering if you know what you're dishing out when you push the button? And yeah I know the political correct answers are going to dominate but be honest.  This is a no judge zone and much respect for real answers and reasons. 

No haven't tried it on myself but than again I don't touch a stove to know its hot. That would just be foolish.

Using an e collar is more than strapping it on jacking it up and zapping away. Fitting the collar and establishing  threshold limits is key.

finsfurfeathers
3 minutes ago, ESetterSage said:

I dont use the e collar on my setter when hunting only the bell. Hate the e collar but it worked to keep her out of the street. I know they help progress but what did everyone do before they were invented. 

50 yard check cords just so much easier hands free. So what you use to keep from running into a porcupine or some other danger?

ESetterSage

Idk my dog stays in front where I can see her. Whoa stops her in her tracks like they are supposed to be trained to do right. I guess i got lucky with a 50 yrd setter, lone gone. 

Fire Marshal Bill

I always check it before I put the collar on the dog. Never made it pass 2. So 1 is fine.  I use the back of my hand to test the strength. 

doodlecrazy

I check my Alpha everytime on my wrist. I keep my training buttons on 4 and 6 if the vibrate doesn't get Morgans attention. I can handle 4 just fine but 6 is getting up there. I've never gone past 6 on Morgan except to trash break on rabbits on deer. 99% of the time the vibrate gets the job done.

cjc5f9

Had a fairly sensitive dog that only ever needed vibrate so I put the collar on my neck to see what vibrate felt like. Hit the wrong button, on max, luckily it was nick not continuous. Usually, I just try the collars at 2 on my palm before I throw them on. Most things don't require anything over that.

Ray Gubernat

I check my collars periodically to make sure they are working correctly. 

I cannot feel a level 1 stim from my TriTronics on the back of my hand, but I can "just" feel it on my neck.  I can feel the  level 1 stim from my new Sport Dog unit.  A level 3 from the TT on my neck is decidedly uncomfortable, but not really bad on the back of my hand.   A 4  fro,m the TTis all I want on my hand.  The stim  from the Sport Dog unit seem a bit stronger at each level, up to 4.  I did not do a comparison at level 5 or 6.   

Yes I have hit the continuous button with a high hard one(levels 5 and 6) with the TriTronics.  YES it smarts.  I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

I do try to use the very lowest level stim that will get me the response I require.  That is actually why I bought the Sport Dog unit.  It has tone and vibrate. 

Once the dog knows the routine, a tickle on vibrate is usually all the "reminder" they need.  They know what comes next.

I had an old Dogtra unit that crapped out on me.  It was fine as a spare, but it was truly useful when working with the horses.  The Dogtra had 6 levels and 9 graduations within each level levels.  For those who do not know...horses are INCREDIBLY sensitive to e-collar stim.  A nick from that unit when set on the fourth graduation below level 1( in other words less than half of a 1 stim) will cause  one of my horses to SNAP their head up to attention. 

I cannot even feel that level of stim on my own neck and it REALLY gets the horse's attention.  I am pretty leery of using either of my other collars on my horse.  I need to remind them about ground tying before the field trial season starts.  Maybe I'll try the vibrate on them. 

RayG

Remo

I spit on my palm to try it. Big difference between the old and new model. Yes, Max has had #8 three times, twice for deer and once with a coon in the water. And one jolt didn't convince him either. Porkies, skunks, and badgers will be coming up this fall. Damn it.

CzechSM

I put the collars on the dogs (prior to collar conditioning) and while they are laying around the house relaxing or chewing on a bone I hold the constant button on at the lowest setting the collar has and then move it up on occasion one click at a time. With Coupe a 1 low, 1, 1 high got no attention. On a 2 low he just perked up his ears and looked around but was still relaxed and returned chewing on the bone. I repeated the sequence a few times with the same results. After I laid the collar over known commands he still responds well to a 2 low. I always use the same collar on the same dog as I believe each collar and dog is different. The Tritronics I use have 18 different levels. It is good to have a wide variety of settings so you get the one that is correct for your dog.

I'm not sure if my info is correct but I have been told by people that have played around with ecollars with rheostats that they thought that the settings were inconsistent when compared to non rheostat models. 

dogrunner

I do to make sure the work correctly, some dogs take more then you think they would and other dogs take very little depending on what there doing.