FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Kansas Big Dog

Single burner camp stove

Kansas Big Dog

I need to purchase a single burner camp stove. I am hoping some of the backpackers here would help me out. I need something for when I am on the road in the Ranchero Deleuxe. Especally for morning coffee.

mikegillam

JetBoil with coffee press

Rockdoc

Here’s the stove I purchased several years ago to cook with. It cost about $10-$15 and I purchased it from Academy in Austin TX. If I had it to do over again I would’ve bought one with a built-in ignitor. I use it for heating water for instant coffee and hot cereal. At home I use my own grinder and a french press coffee maker but when I’m traveling I use the KISS method.

iDJL3ve.jpg

After breakfast I put a can of chili or soup on top of the motor, by noon it’s nice and warm and ready to eat. Keep It Simple S_____!

4ZfNzff.jpg

Of course there are other, more creative ways to heat water for your morning coffee. With thanks to the late Bill Mauldin!

YAmnbLq.jpg

Kansas Big Dog
18 minutes ago, Rockdoc said:

Here’s the stove I purchased several years ago to cook with. It cost about $10-$15 and I purchased it from Academy in Austin TX. If I had it to do over again I would’ve bought one with a built-in ignitor. I use it for heating water for instant coffee and hot cereal. At home I use my own grinder and a french press coffee maker but when I’m traveling I use the KISS method.

iDJL3ve.jpg

After breakfast I put a can of chili or soup on top of the motor, by noon it’s nice and warm and ready to eat. Keep It Simple S_____!

4ZfNzff.jpg

Do you know what the make or model is of your burner? What type fuel does it use? Good idea on the heated canned goods, I will keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, mikegillam said:

JetBoil with coffee press

I'm with you there, I already have a Thermos press and a little hand burr grinder. Just need a burner to heat the water and cook on.

Marc Ret
55 minutes ago, Rockdoc said:

iDJL3ve.jpg

4ZfNzff.jpg

Of course there are other, more creative ways to heat water for your morning coffee. With thanks to the late Bill Mauldin!

YAmnbLq.jpg

I must have read through my father's copy of "Up Front" a dozen times over the years. Willie and Joe were great. 

Rockdoc
24 minutes ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Do you know what the make or model is of your burner? What type fuel does it use? Good idea on the heated canned goods, I will keep that in mind.

I'm with you there, I already have a Thermos press and a little hand burr grinder. Just need a burner to heat the water and cook on.

How is that Thermos press? I saw them when I attended the Overland Expo in Flagstaff a while back. My current press has an insulated double-walled stainless steel pot but it's only good for about 45 minutes.

Steve

Kansas Big Dog
1 minute ago, Rockdoc said:

How is that Thermos press? I saw them when I attended the Overland Expo in Flagstaff a while back. My current press has an insulated double-walled stainless steel pot but it's only good for about 45 minutes.

Steve

Really good. Keeps the coffee really hot for at least a couple hours. I usually have it down by then.

watermen

I really like the butane one burners that come in their own case personally, They are just handier for general cooking.  I have several and a really good stainless one that stays on the boat.  I can't remember the brand on that one.  The 40$ models last many years though.  I have a jet boil that I end up with crap all over. YMMV

apachecadillac

This:

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-Corporation-America-ZA-3HP-Portable/dp/B006H42TVG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1535243123&sr=8-2&keywords=iwatani+butane+stove

Of, if you want to go first class, this:

https://www.amazon.com/Iwatani-35FW-Portable-Butane-Burner/dp/B00522F2R2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535243123&sr=8-1&keywords=iwatani+butane+stove

This first one is plenty for coffee and that sort of thing, and costs about half what the second one cost.  The second one is overkill, but my wife likes it.

These things are for car camping, cooking at outdoor events and that sort of thing.  Not for backpacking, unless you have sherpas.  If that's the case, just toss one in with the cast iron Dutch oven and the portable wine cellar.

UplandHntr
16 minutes ago, watermen said:

I really like the butane one burners that come in their own case personally, They are just handier for general cooking.  I have several and a really good stainless one that stays on the boat.  I can't remember the brand on that one.  The 40$ models last many years though.  I have a jet boil that I end up with crap all over. YMMV

I have a stainless version of these too. Works great and with an electrical junction box on it I can heat a can of soup on it perfectly

aje4

Butane only works down until a certain temperature so beware of that....I have a little Coleman white gas single burner....you can get them in propane as well that attach to the small tanks.  They both work very well and are fairly inexpensive....

Rockdoc

Years ago I had a very lightweight backpacking stove that’d burn anything gas or liquid, and I mean anything. I found that I’d typically just use bottled gas with it. My son thought it was a very cool stove (it sure was expensive as hell!) anyhow I finally gave it to him.

Steve

Jim Vander

If just for coffee a jet boil works great with their press accessory.  They are pricey but work well and are a nice integrated solution. I have had one for years and its been great. I also use a single burner setup that uses butane canisters. Works great and cost effective. 

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/chef-master-90019-1-burner-butane-countertop-range-15-000-btu/47290019.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwn4ncBRCaARIsAFD5-gUXT8GMnrlixbfpp5SJuD1myTMzgIcTO0nRG0tLWcJJpDPrWuqmBHgaAg4IEALw_wcB

Kansas Big Dog
13 hours ago, Rockdoc said:

Steve

The press is actually a Stanley and not a Thermos.

co_setter

I have 2 that I like.  Coleman Xpert stove for higher heat output and an MSR pocket rocket for when space is a premium.  https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/pocketrocket-2

I am putting together a small kit for one or two nights on the road that will use the MSR along the lines of this video.  compact camp kitchen