Wirehair

Chevy 2500HD gas

Wirehair

I have a chance to buy a 2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 and wondering if there a solid truck or have they had any issues?

It's a one owner and I know the guy and know it's well taken care of.

It has only 18,000 miles, double cab, LT trim, ARE topper, and a Boss V plow. The truck looks new. 

It may not be the dream truck but I like it and I really need a better truck. The plow would be a nice bonus. And I think it's a darn good price(35,200) given the really low miles and plow and topper. And he said he could do better if i was really intrested.

Anyways just wondering if there's anything I need to know about that truck model and year? My only complaint is it's a short bed 

Thanks.

Marc Ret

Friends that have had earlier iterations of that truck all have had brake line rust failures and paint peels/chipping. Don't know if those issues have been corrected for more recent models. 

Sounds like a hell of a price with all the extras IF you have need of a heavy duty truck. A friend bought a similar (2016 3500HD 6.0L gas) one with 14,000mi earlier this year and gave $44,000 for the truck. He thought he got a great deal but my opinion is a bit different. 

Do you need that much truck? 

aje4

That sounds like a great deal.....

Dogwood

Sounds like a steal including the Boss V-plow (top notch) and ARE topper.  It will be a beast of a plow truck!  Where do you live?

henryrski

I'd suggest you check out the trans,mission as plowing can raise hell with them.

vabirddog

Too high Imo, but depends on what you need (2500vs1500). Plowing is hard on a truck.  That money will buy you a brand new 1500 double cab or crew 4x4 with a warranty.

Wirehair

Thanks for the replies.    

I pull a Featherlite steel 3 horse slant load bumper pull trailer  so thats why I want a heavier truck. I use to own a 2000 3/4 ton GMC before my current truck which is a 1/2 ton Ram, biggest mistake I ever made was going to a half ton. I put helper springs and trailer brake controller on my ram and its a load with my trailer.   

The plow was new when he got the truck in 2015 and has very little use. Driven by a 70 year old so I know it wasn't beat. And since i live in wisconsin it'll be much nicer and faster than plowing my lawn tractor.

My biggest concern is if the truck is known to have any issues. The guy is selling it only to downsize and he is going to pay someone to plow his driveway.  

K Bar F

The Chevy 2500 HD 4x4's that we use on the ranch have held up very well considering the roads and pasture we drive them on. One of them has a 24' cattle trailer that stays hooked up most all the time. I can't comment on the gas engine performance cause all of our trucks have the Duramax diesel. The front ends have held up alot better than the F250 Superduty's we had before these.

The rancher next to us has the same truck you described and he really likes it but often complains about the fuel economy with the 6.0 gas engine.

Good luck

UplandHntr
33 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

The plow was new when he got the truck in 2015 and has very little use. Driven by a 70 year old so I know it wasn't beat.

Let it be known, when I'm 70 - everything I own will have the living CHIT beat out of it ! ! 🤣

Wirehair
1 hour ago, UplandHntr said:

Let it be known, when I'm 70 - everything I own will have the living CHIT beat out of it ! ! 🤣

Sure be that one guy that ruins it for all the 70 year olds..  LOL!

dvmweb

I have one. Set up with a topper and a Boss V plow too. It is a gasser. I have about 37K miles on it and no issues.

If I get 13-14 mpg I’m happy. 

I have pretty good sized cargo trailer that will knock that down to 8 or 10.

I like it.

Lurch

12 mpg was the norm on my 2004 6 liter. other than fuel economy, was a bulletproof truck. Not sure what the newer engines do, assume thye've got cylinder deactivaiton and all that?

Brad Eden

I know nothing about that particular truck but it sounds nice. If you finesse a plow on your own driveway....as long as it isn't a mile long on a mountain...you won't beat up a truck too bad. Ive had the heaviest " homeowner" Boss metal frame/poly plow on my first gen (small) Tundra for a couple seasons now. I just don't plow anybody else out and don't smash the crap out of it into snowbanks and such.

gwponr

Trading my 2015 2500 HD gas in on a dodge 5500 tomorrow. After having two duramax GMC's to compare it to it is gutless  driving a 2017 dodge ram with the cumins in it now  20mpg from here to las vegas new mexico and back last year elk hunting

NVChukarChaser
4 hours ago, gwponr said:

Trading my 2015 2500 HD gas in on a dodge 5500 tomorrow. After having two duramax GMC's to compare it to it is gutless  driving a 2017 dodge ram with the cumins in it now  20mpg from here to las vegas new mexico and back last year elk hunting

The new Cummins is amazing. I didn’t expect the mileage I’m getting out of mine and it was a pleasant surprise!