FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Thunder Bay

Your Dream Fly Fishing Trip?

Thunder Bay

Need your help on ideas for upcoming retirement fly fishing trip for my wife (she's not passionate about fishing but will go along with me) and I.  We've been fortunate enough to travel/fish in a lot of locations warm and cold (e.g., Alaska, Bahamas, FL Keys, etc.).  Currently thinking of something in Belize or Alaska for 1 - 2 weeks.  No strong preference on fish - like them all (Bonefish, Permit, Tarpon, Salmon, Redfish, Steelhead, etc.).  We're fine with rustic but like to be comfortable.

Would love to hear your recommendations...

polecat

Big brookies, Atlantic salmon, char.

Big Al

Bid on my cabin in the auction.

mister grouse

Some estimate of total budget would help, and also some idea of the casting competence of both.  There is a world of opportunities, some are expensive and many do require fairly proficient casting ability to really get the most from the fishing aspect....

Dave Medema

Patagonia.

Marc Ret

New Zealand. 

Bluegill68

I have been fortunate to be able to travel to several great destinations.  That said Kamchatka topped them all, the overall quality and numbers of fish were dumbfounding.   

Thunder Bay

Some wonderful/thoughtful replies, would appreciate any suggestions of specific lodges/outfitters either through this thread or PM if possible.  A few more details about me since it was requested:

• Experienced saltwater/freshwater fly fisherman... no issues with difficult casting conditions
  • Willing to spend $$$ if needed - more interested in unique, intimate experience than budget shopping
  • Would like my wife to enjoy trip and be comfortable vs. hard core fishing experience

Thank you!

terrym

Anticosti Island for Atlantics and bonus deer hunting too. Your money is worth 25% more too. 

bntsetter

Had a friend who went to New Zealand. Helicopter flights to the river make for an amazing experience according to him.

JonR

Fall Atlantic salmon/grouse and woodcock hunting combination trip in New Brunswick. 

TimJ

Iceland. I've heard that not only is the trout, salmon and char fishing phenomenol the sights, people and food are equally worth the trip. 

Tim

WyomingArt

Fly in trip for Labrador Brook Trout, never done that on the bucket list.

Christmas Island Bonefish, another bucket list.

September trip for big Rainbows on Alaskan rivers. ( Did this several times)

My wife likes more civilized accommodations in  the Bahamas or Grand Cayman, though.

stripersonfly

As you will see, I am mostly a saltwater guy.  Some I would consider:

Seychelles/Cosmoledo Atoll - Tough to get to, but the fishing opps here are amazing, and very diverse (So I have been told)

Great Barrier Reef, Australia -  Sames as Seychelles

La Paz/Baja, Mexico - Pretty pedestrian in comparison to the other two, but I choose this one as there are some exceptional fishing opportunities, but also other activities that your wife might enjoy

mccuha

Mine would be a whole summer covering the western states   I am more of a DIY guy and it's to me more adventurous. Camping and getting off the beaten path. I know this would not be my wife's idea of a vacation. ( hell her idea of a vacation doesn't even leave pavement unless it's walking onto a sandy beach and staying in a 5 star hotel) I guess that explains why she never wants to go on any of my vacation trips and I dislike her vacation trips that I'm required to attend.