FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Shawn F

Wild bird dog producer

Shawn F

Was conversing with mt rookie the other day and inquired what dog he thought produced best  natural bird dogs.  He informed me that touch's whiteout produced five of last six winners on wild birds in Montana under difficult bird conditions and that the other winner was a rebel bred dog.  

Why would his blood be so dominant there?

Has anyone here had a whiteout pup and what is your experience?  Is there frozen semen on him?

I heard he died young with few litters?

What dogs out of him would you recommend to get pup from?

Maybe Alex will breed his dog!

Flush
10 hours ago, Shawn F said:

He informed me that touch's whiteout produced five of last six winners on wild birds in Montana under difficult bird conditions and that the other winner was a rebel bred dog.  

I've seen a good number of Whiteout bred dogs, and they are without a doubt very impressive dogs. If I were in the market for a pointer, that is the very first place I would look. 

I think you are talking about Circle specifically though, not all wild bird trials in MT.

Another factor that plays into that record is WHO is running those Whiteout dogs in MT. Austin Turley is consistently very very competitive in wild bird trials and at Circle specifically. Also arguably Austin's best dog as of late is a Whiteout dog. Austin could run a sheep dog and beat most people in a trial at Circle. 

Anyway I agree that the Whiteout dogs are very impressive dogs and great natural wild-bird dogs but I think it's worth noting there are other wild bird trials in MT and other western states and there are some other factors at play when you talk about dominance and a certain line of dog at a venue.

forestdump
11 hours ago, Shawn F said:

Was conversing with mt rookie the other day and inquired what dog he thought produced best  natural bird dogs.  He informed me that touch's whiteout produced five of last six winners on wild birds in Montana under difficult bird conditions and that the other winner was a rebel bred dog.  

Why would his blood be so dominant there?

Has anyone here had a whiteout pup and what is your experience?  Is there frozen semen on him?

I heard he died young with few litters?

What dogs out of him would you recommend to get pup from?

Maybe Alex will breed his dog!

White out produced his ass off in very few breedings. One reason you may be seeing those dogs do so well in MT is because Turley has a lot of them and he’s VERY tough to beat on his home course. Not taking anything away from the dogs, a lot of very good dogs run those grounds every year, just answering your question. 

forestdump

Im pretty sure the dog MtRookie just put a CH on is also out of white out. He was a fantastic dog that died too soon, that dog had a lot more winning and puppy making todo if you decide to go through one of his sons or daughters for a prospect you sure could end up with a good one. 

Shawn F

Yes mtrookie was counting his whiteout son as one of those winners!  That's why I said maybe he will breed him in the near future.

MTRookie76

My dog Touch’s Hail Stone is out of Touch’s White Out/Touch’s Maswood Anne. I believe that makes 7 CH’s out of White Out which is incredible because he was bred to only 10-11 times in his very short life, 5 of those bitches were outside of the Touch’s breeding program. The numbers don’t lie, he was an incredible producer. 

MTRookie76
1 minute ago, Shawn F said:

Yes mtrookie was counting his whiteout son as one of those winners!  That's why I said maybe he will breed him in the near future.

There is a plan to breed Bill. He has a lot of great qualities and the prospective bitchs are the real deal. Pretty excited to see what he produces. 

406dn

Just to add my congratulations to Alex and Bill. That is a great win. Last fall at American Falls he nearly got it done as well.

MTRookie76
26 minutes ago, 406dn said:

Just to add my congratulations to Alex and Bill. That is a great win. Last fall at American Falls he nearly got it done as well.

Thank you!

Looking forward to another shot at the Region 9 Amateur next week. I don’t believe there has been a day I haven’t run that train wreck scenario through my head.  

I would have to agree with all that is being posted. BUT!!! Also keep in mind there are other venues in other parts of the world. I for one am a person who has had the chance and oppurtunity to see some real class dogs go in a number of different venues. I love to see a class AA dog go but given where I live now owning one and hunting one is just not in my cards. So I play the only wild bird game in town Grouse hunting. With all this ramble being said one of the best producing dogs I've ever seen of my time (and it was a setter ) was SHADY HILLS BILLY . If you ever had the chance to watch that dog he was the real McCoy would go through busted glass and a burning building to find wild birds, everytime you found him standing he had them pinned and whatever he stuck produced unlike some other winning Setter whom everyone thought was the next coming of Christ. Hasn't produced a single winning pup and there's gotta be a million out there. No sir Billy was not only a champion in his own right he produced champions.

forestdump

You’re not lying. Seen more than a few good ones down from Billy. 

Shawn F
On 9/9/2018 at 1:26 PM, 406dn said:

Dave, I heard someone out there had a litter of droppers out of one of those wo males?  Wouldn't be you or you wouldn't know who it is would you?  I am interested.  The last couple setters I have had since dna just don't have the bottom or nose necessary.

406dn
5 hours ago, Shawn F said:

Dave, I heard someone out there had a litter of droppers out of one of those wo males?  Wouldn't be you or you wouldn't know who it is would you?  I am interested.  The last couple setters I have had since dna just don't have the bottom or nose necessary.

You might know more than I do about this. I haven't heard of a litter of droppers recently. 

Don't misunderstand my post either guys could I would give up a testicle to be running IMHO true wildbird dogs on the AA circuit. But I just can't sit on the sidelines. There's something mystical magical if you will watching a praire running all age hunt. Most humans never and I mean never will be able to fathom or wrap their heads around deciferering one!

ThreeDogs

Why did touch’s white out die so young what happened?