MAArcher

Help with bark collars

MAArcher

I have a Garmin Upland Delta XC with built in BarkLimiter.  I have to go away for a week for work in a couple weeks and with the kids back in school my pup (15 week old GWP) will be left alone in a 12' x 12' outdoor kennel.  Sometimes he's good, sometimes he can bark.  I don't want barking to become an issue so I put the bark collar on him today and even though he'd normally be in the house with me while I work, I put him in the outdoor kennel to see how he'd do.  He barked, and the collar didn't seem to do anything, but it was kind of a quiet bark.  It went on for few minutes and then his tone changed.  I think the auto level was ramping up.   I looked out the window and could see him thinking about things.  He barked again and then it was like all hell broke loose, he barked, he got shocked, he barked, he got shocked, he started spinning around in obvious pain and fear and wasn't getting it that it was his barking that was causing the shock and the shock was now his cause for vocalizing.   Is there a way to "teach" them what the deal is before you leave them to sort it out in a horrible battle with a shock collar?   Should I just let it go on and see if he figures it out?  It's a horrible racket and if PETA ever got a hold of video footage, bark collars would get outlawed in a second.  

I'm wondering if it would be better to use manual stimulation with the "quiet" command until he understood that barking brings a shock, before using the limiter which requires him to learn it in just a minute or two before getting into a wicked bark/max stim cycle.

Virgil Kane

After reading here about bark collars a few weeks ago  I went out and bought the Garmin Deluxe Bark Limiter and it's been working great.  Mine has a vibrate setting and that's what I used for the first week or so.  Then on to the variable intensity setting.  My Treeing Walker can be a whiner at times and it does pick up the whining and nose whistling she does and sets it off.  If yours has a vibrate setting perhaps a few days with that setting would help your pooch understand what's going on and why he's getting shocked?

Virgil 

tut

Checked the one I had that cooked Sophie and it is a Dogtra YS 300.  Reaction was very similar to your pups reaction.  I thought she was going to kill herself with it.   Never put it on her again.

ryanr

Smh. Poor pup.

stripersonfly

Oh that sure must have scared the poor puppy, but it sucks for you as well.  If it were me, I would not let it go on and hope it works itself out, I can see how easily the stimulate/bark response downward spiral could keep on happening.   I think the vibrate suggestion, if that is an option on the collar, has some merit.  If that does not work, for our last dog, a lab, we purchased a collar that gave a spray of citronella.  I think it was a pet safe product and we got it at Petco or someplace like that.  Was very effective, and it caused more of a surprise reaction (that stinks) that might short circuit the bark/stimulation/bark/stimulation downward spiral.

MAArcher

Snitches get stitches 😝

Coalman

Recently bought a cheapo bark collar from Amazon. It tones, vibrates and then shocks. Took Gracie all of an hour to figure out after the vibrate comes the shock. It also has a setting where it just tones and vibrates after the dog learns after the vibrate is shocks. Works pretty good for thirty bucks.

From your description you have it turned up too high.

shinbone

Here's one way to do it:

Set the collar to one of its lowest and constant (not variable) settings for the first few days.  The dog should feel the stim, but not feel pain or discomfort.  The idea is not to cure the barking problem the first day, but rather that the dog first learns that a bark gets a low-level stimulation, and no bark means no stimulation.  Once he learns that correlation, then you can up the stim level because the dog understands that he avoids the stim by not barking.

MAArcher
58 minutes ago, Coalman said:

Recently bought a cheapo bark collar from Amazon. It tones, vibrates and then shocks. Took Gracie all of an hour to figure out after the vibrate comes the shock. It also has a setting where it just tones and vibrates after the dog learns after the vibrate is shocks. Works pretty good for thirty bucks.

I have a collar that has an auto setting where it starts low and keeps getting higher until the dog stops barking.  Unfortunately, that "ramp up" time is too short and Wes didn't learn quick enough.  I bet he would have if I had collar conditioned him first.  I do have the option for vibrate and manual settings.

MAArcher
51 minutes ago, shinbone said:

Here's one way to do it:

Set the collar to one of its lowest and constant (not variable) settings for the first few days.  The dog should feel the stim, but not feel pain or discomfort.  The idea is not to cure the barking problem the first day, but rather that the dog first learns that a bark gets a low-level stimulation, and no bark means no stimulation.  Once he learns that correlation, then you can up the stim level because the dog understands that he avoids the stim by not barking.

It should have been obvious to me that this is the best way, and its exactly what my breeder recommended when he found out I used the auto setting.  Dog seems OK though, so no harm done.

quailguy
On 8/30/2018 at 9:27 AM, shinbone said:

Agree^^^^^ completely. 

MAArcher

bump.  looking for more recommendations for a reliable bark collar.

Also, any thoughts on how it might effect a dog if he's in a kennel with a bunch of other dogs who are barking and he's the only one with a collar on so he can't join in?

I'm concerned that if I board my dog at a kennel for the next few weeks, and the other dogs do a lot of barking, when I get my dog back is he going to be even more of a barker than he is now?

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:18 AM, Coalman said:

Mind sharing which one you purchased?

dogrunner

I have a dogtra I think its the older version. 

homelessadam
On 8/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, ryanr said:

Smh. Poor pup.

For real. 

Wish I was closer I’d take Wes for a couple weeks. He’d get an hour of exercise every day at a very minimum. And he’d probably not be the worse dog in the house. 😂 

And all it would cost would be a fifth of knob creek,a 30 pack of pbr,and a big bag of dog food.