FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
charlo slim

Piscatorial Obsession

charlo slim

OK ,  these are my absolute favorite scaled quarry (during late summer and right around home, anyway).  I wonder how many folks would even recognize the species..... Michiganders and Canadianites excepted, of course.

So POP QUIZ time!!  Hint -  although they do look a bit like carp, they are actually more closely related to trout. 

IMG_1315.JPG

mccuha

White fish

Cooter Brown
10 hours ago, mccuha said:

White fish

I agree with the guy with the funny name.

Another case of white fish privelige.  I hear (from you, I think) that they are yummy.

Did you get a thesaurus for your birthday?  If so, happy birthday!

Remo

Smoked white fish, yum. I am within mailing distance. May be able to trade for homemade hootch or Max.

Reeba

We love whitefish, smoke, broiled or boiled in a fish boil.

UplandHntr

Intersting timing as I just took a bag if whitefish out of the freezer for a fish fry tonight. I went out on Green Bay last winter and have 4 bags like this frozen. I also took out a bag walleyes just in case...

anyone deep fry whitefish using shore lunch coating? Whenever I hear that a fish is good smoked or boiled I always think that theyre not very good unless disguised 

154A2509-DAB0-405F-8C07-851573BAB007.jpeg

mccuha

I’ve never caught nor ate a white fish.  Are they the same as I guess they call mountain white fish found in streams and rivers.  I saw one that was on the river edge in Wyoming.  It looked just like the ones you have a pic of

rudyc

Never froze mine. I have heard from several folks that they get kind of mushy after being frozen.

I've had them smoked, fried with a coating of bread crumbs, baked and in a fish boil. All have been very good. It's a pretty mild tasting fish.

We caught them while ice fishing on Green Bay and also while walleye fishing in open water. They fight like crazy in open water.

86.jpg

IMG_20170329_150326474[2].jpg

Skybuster

As a kid I remember whitefish being abundant in Lake Michigan to the point where commercial fishing was a big industry. Always available at local restaurants. Then the lamprey eel made its appearance and decimated the whitefish population. Glad to see they've made a comeback.

dogrunner

They are Delicious Smoked I get mine when I roll through th Yoop. 

EF4F3691-CD05-4F8F-AAC8-E1A9E403495E.jpeg

fishvik

Our Mountain Whitefish is affectionately referred to as "Rocky Mountain Bonefish" and while not thought as sexy as our trout, there is a small bunch of followers, of which I'm one, that like to flyfish for them and love to smoke them.

DSC03308.JPG

mccuha
28 minutes ago, fishvik said:

Our Mountain Whitefish is affectionately referred to as "Rocky Mountain Bonefish" and while not thought as sexy as our trout, there is a small bunch of followers, of which I'm one, that like to flyfish for them and love to smoke them.

DSC03308.JPG

Are they a subspecies or one in the same?

charlo slim
On 8/31/2018 at 9:25 AM, mccuha said:

White fish

Correctamundo!   Lake whitefish to be exact,  sometimes called Lake Superior whitefish around these parts anyway

On 8/31/2018 at 7:32 PM, Cooter Brown said:

agree with the guy with the funny name.

And this from a guy name of Cooter???

On 8/31/2018 at 7:32 PM, Cooter Brown said:

Did you get a thesaurus for your birthday?  If so, happy birthday!

Prolixity bordering on logorrhea, Cooter, it's how I roll!!

16 hours ago, mccuha said:

different species -- Lake whitefish are larger and more inclined to feed on fish (perch fry here on Flathead lake)

On 9/1/2018 at 6:37 AM, rudyc said:

Never froze mine. I have heard from several folks that they get kind of mushy after being frozen.

I've had them smoked, fried with a coating of bread crumbs, baked and in a fish boil. All have been very good. It's a pretty mild tasting fish.

We caught them while ice fishing on Green Bay and also while walleye fishing in open water. They fight like crazy in open water.

I also have heard that they soften up in freezing, but have not really encountered it as a problem. I do think it is super important to keep them very cold from catch to processing -  mine go directly from hook to ice. Yep, mild flavor and delicate structure. Very strong fighters in open (slightly warmer) water -- fight like a wet sock through the ice though.  

charlo slim
On 9/1/2018 at 6:06 AM, UplandHntr said:
On 8/31/2018 at 7:51 PM, Remo said:

oops sorry  - got the multi quote function screwed up here

ntersting timing as I just took a bag if whitefish out of the freezer for a fish fry tonight. I went out on Green Bay last winter and have 4 bags like this frozen. I also took out a bag walleyes just in case...

anyone deep fry whitefish using shore lunch coating? Whenever I hear that a fish is good smoked or boiled I always think that theyre not very good unless disguised

Just be aware of the line of pin bones along the lateral line.  You can feel then (unless they have been removed in dressing) by rubbing your finger, tail to head end, along the inner side of the filet.  No pin bones aft of the ribs, so tail end is bone free.  Good youtube videos on several method to remove pin bones. A recent favorite here has been hot /  fast blackening - on smaller fish, the pin bones sort of crystallize.  Pin bones also "go away" in canning -- my primary prep practice.

fishvik
16 hours ago, mccuha said:

They are separate species but there is a unique population of mountain whitefish in the Big Lost River here in Idaho.