FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
tut

Fishing Kayak thoughts

tut

Was at a local lake today that is about 4 miles from the house that they opened up to the public.  Catch and Release only which is fine.  Anyway, I showed up with Gracie since Sophie is off getting some training.  Gracie did a bit of swimming and I did a bit of casting with no results as the water is really shallow around the park area and tons of weeds.  Anyway, while there for 30 minutes I saw 3 different fellows fishing out of Kayaks.  These were the fishing type Kayaks, not the whitewater type.  I noticed a couple of rod holders and 2 out of the 3 on the water were camo.   Anyway, thinking for next summer it might be a nice way to keep myself in shape and also perhaps provide Gracie some fun.   Any thoughts on a Kayak that might have enough stability for me and also a 65 lb Golden?  Has to only weigh circa 50 lbs as I have to load it myself and I'm an old weak fart. :)     I'd slide it in the 4Runner to transport it with the seats folded down.

PS.  If there isn't anything that would work for both Gracie and myself, then maybe something just good for me.  FWIW, they even allow you to store your Kayak there on the lake and have built a storage area there that keeps the Kayaks in the shade and off the ground.  

Recoil Rob

I kayak and fish on LI Sound but I don't get kayak fishing. On the sea kayaking is tough enough to do safely without having to worry about fishing.  And a sit on top dedicated fishing yak with 65#'s of retriever seems looking for trouble.

If you want to bring Gracie along look for a used Keeowee 2, they're cheap and when you take out the front seat plenty of room. We use them for winter duck hunting and bring the dogs.

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f75/i-bought-old-kayak-93657/

MUSTANGER7

I tries several in my late 60's, but it killed my back and shoulders which both have bursitis. I tried a sit on top which is what is used mostly for fishing and I tried one that had pedals with flippers underneath, don't think I've ever seen one that would work for you and a dog that size. I mostly fly fished out of mine, I being right handed could comfortably fish to my left a lot harder to my right side. Sit on the ground and try casting whatever you throw and see how it works, sitting that low changes everything. The one with paddles worked best for fly fishing (as lont as water was deep enough for flippers) because I could move and keep fishing while with a paddle your always putting your rod down paddling and then going to the rod, back and forth. Any little breeze or current seam will move you out of the casting window. My son has several each with all king of rod holders etc that he does off shore fishing in the Atlantic off of south Florida. Its a different feeling.

shoot-straight

I just just bought a native ultimate 14.5. Should be big enough for me and a dog. Pretty darn stable. It's a sit in. Canoe/kayak hybrid. Got it used and price was right

Feelfree lure  is the most stable SOT kayak I have been in. Pricey, but not as much as some of the others. They are insane. 2k for a kayak? No thanks. 

Fins and Feathers

I have done some fishing from a kayak.  They can be great fun to fish out of.  Never tried it with a dog as a co-pilot. 

Seeing your in Virginia here is a couple of thoughts that may interest you. 

Appomattox River Company in Farmville has every type / make of kayak you can think of.  They would be able to help you figure out a model that would work for you.    Think they offer on the water test rides.  So you can get a feel for a few different models before making your purchase.  I think they would be a good option for to at least make a call to a see what they say.  

Another option is Front Royal Canoe.   Much smaller dealer.  But they do have some good fishing models. They offer rentals on most of their models and you could take one out for the day on the river.  Very small investment to see if you like it.   Plus there can be some decent smallmouth fishing on their stretch of river.  

WPG Gizmo

I have a very dedicated fishing Yak it is stable enough to stand up and fish from.  My FF Lure was not cheap and decked out I could have bought a small boat for the money I have in it but I would not take the dogs out in it.  If that is what you want to do I would suggest that you are better served with a canoe like a Native Watercraft.

I am looking for a buyer right now for my Yak I am going to upgrade to a pedal Yak

Remo

I use a 10' Old Town fishing kayak, just to get past the weeds. Then I drop a light anchor and cast. It is very stable but semi keeled so not a racer by any means. If you want to take your pup along a small jon boat would give you more dog room and close to the same weight. Could also motorize it.

P1020854

tut
30 minutes ago, Remo said:

I use a 10' Old Town fishing kayak, just to get past the weeds. Then I drop a light anchor and cast. It is very stable but semi keeled so not a racer by any means. If you want to take your pup along a small jon boat would give you more dog room and close to the same weight. Could also motorize it.

P1020854

I think that is what I saw on the Lake today.  2 of those. 

olddog22202

Hey Tut

Take a look at a NuCanoe.  It is a hybrid.  It is stable as heck and don’t think a 65 lb dog would mess it up any more than a 55 lb setter does which is nothing once you can get the bugger to get used to riding in it.  I paddle mine with a kayak paddle and they will take an electric motor if you are so inclined.  I trailer it on a Harbor Frt kind of a light trailer.  You can get a seat or seats for it that even geezers past mid 70’s can get up and down in given a stout rope to hang on to.

Mike

Jim Vander
On 8/31/2018 at 6:33 PM, olddog22202 said:

Hey Tut

Take a look at a NuCanoe.  It is a hybrid.  It is stable as heck and don’t think a 65 lb dog would mess it up any more than a 55 lb setter does which is nothing once you can get the bugger to get used to riding in it.  I paddle mine with a kayak paddle and they will take an electric motor if you are so inclined.  I trailer it on a Harbor Frt kind of a light trailer.  You can get a seat or seats for it that even geezers past mid 70’s can get up and down in given a stout rope to hang on to.

Mike

What model Nucanoe do you have I have been looking at them

ccavacini
On 8/31/2018 at 4:53 PM, Remo said:

P1020854

Nice bunch of perch.

olddog22202

Jim

My NUCanoe is 5 or6 years old and is the Frontier model.  Very stable....wish I had it 50 years ago when I was more up to testing all the capability the thing has. Right now STABILITY is my gold standard.

Mike

martyg

The fishing kayaking thing.... It is a fabrication by the industry to stay alive.

When WW crashed in the early 2000's fishing came along and saved everyone. Fishing is slowing down and SUP took off which saved the industry's collective ass. Now brands are wondering what is next - what will motivate consumers to spend money? Smaller brands - think paddles - are really screwed. Once you buy a nice carbon fiber paddle do you need another? Unless of course you dive into a new discipline or a new boat with drastically different dimensions that demands it.

My advice... scan CL. Most any paddle craft will serve as a fishing platform - and trust me I'm a snob about canoes and kayaks. Mine is a SOT from WalMart where I built up the seat a bit for better bio mechanics.

Fishing with a dog in a boat is a non-starter for me. My dog's pry drive is far too strong.

bobman

what does WW. and SUP mean?

Cooter Brown
12 minutes ago, bobman said:

what does WW. and SUP mean?

"World wide" and "what's happening?".

You know how these young folks are with their jive talk.