Sign in to follow this  
tut

Fishing Kayak thoughts

mshowman

I fish from a kayak. A few days ago I almost took on more than I wanted. Oh, and I made the decision to practice Catch and Release. 

33B0E2C8-23CD-494C-9D01-49B826E0BF6C.jpeg

65097B66-A93C-4A99-A66A-66E111985F00.jpeg

olddog22202

White water and Stand Up Paddling 

martyg
56 minutes ago, bobman said:

what does WW. and SUP mean?

WW = Whitewater

SUP = Stand Up Paddleboard

bobman

thanks for the explanation 

that shark in the other post would give give me a heart attack

braque du upstate

A decent canoe would work. A lot of crap out there . Paddle a few and see if u like it . Lots of used options,  or factory blemish. asymmetrical designs and lightweight materials like royalex have come a long way. Canoe carts or trailers are available.  loading / unloading might be a pain.  A little practice and a 50 lb canoe isn't that hard to manage.  Ive had decent canoes and crap.  $500- 1500 should be about right.  A few paddlers use a kayak paddle with a canoe. I currently use a scanoe. Awful boat , u can toss  a electric trolling motor on the back . paddles like a turd and heavy. 14 -16 ft  royalex or a sportspal would work. 

Thunder Bay

The guys that fish saltwater in a kayak especially the ones that go offshore get kudos from me!  My back and knowledge of what lurks underneath help tame any temporary urge I have to use one.

I’ve used kayaks to move from point A to point B and then fish the flats in normal standing, stalking mode.  Particularly effective in muddy areas and crossing deep channels when prospecting.  Can cover a lot of ground in a kayak.

Speaks

I have really tried to kayak fish and owned 2 of them but could never get into it. I like a canoe much better, especially with a dog along. I mainly fish from a boat but do enjoy some canoe time. 

GraceinVA

Havent read all of the responses, but I messed around with the saltwater/kayak scence awhile when I was in college so I have done some research in the past. I would strongly reccommend a Hobie if you can stomach the cost. As others have said, check craigslist and check the TKAA website (might be able to pick one up on a WC/quail hunt this winter). Being able to "paddle" with your feet while having both hands available to fish is a game changer. Not to mention being able to control the kayak with your feet while your fishing, opposed to making a single cast, then paddling back up current to just float right by the honey hole again....

http://www.tkaa.org/Website/

LabHunter

I don't think 65# retrievers and kayaks are a good combination.  That's just asking to go swimming.

I'd go with either a canoe or a jon boat if you really want the pup to go along.  I've got a square stern old town that I'm pretty sure would be impossible for a 65# dog to roll...particularly with my ever increasing mass providing ballast.  I've also fished a lot out of a Wilderness Systems Pungo that I bought about 20 years ago (sheesh).  I've had a GREAT time fishing out of that thing.  Fishing kayaks are hard to beat if you don't have to cover a lot of water to find fish.  They're super stealthy and it's just flat out fun to be closer to the fish.  If you have to cover a lot of water to catch fish, it's tough to beat a motor.

brushbuster

I have tried with my 62 lb lab to take her with me in my Acadia Perception kayak.  It did not go well and I was in the water more than in the boat.

I'm really interested in the NuCanoeFrontier 12.  

Just a little over your weight requirement but everything I have seen they are very stable. 

I'm hoping to use it as a way to duck hunt the little Pocono puddles we hunt.  I felt a full size canoe would be too much for me to handle plus I need to be able to load and unload this thing myself.

The problem with the NuCanoe around here is that the Frontier 12 sells before it even gets off the truck so I have yet to lay eyes on one in person.