FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
MilRob

Recommendations on a new bird knife

MilRob

Thinking about getting a new bird knife.   I am looking for something a little bigger than the typical bird and trout knife.   I want a fixed blade and somewhere around the $200 mark.   

Thanks

Brad Eden

UJ Sponsor Outdoorsmans Edges/Mike Stenstrom makes and sells fixed blade custom knives with sheath. His "Grouse" knife sounds like what you may be looking for. He donated a slightly smaller "Woodcock" Damascus knife to this Summers UJ Auction.

IMG_0834.JPG

The Grouse. He makes them In any wood you want. $200, last I checked.

Outdoorsmans Edges/Grouse Knife

Brent

The Rapid River Knife Works Fin and Feather is a treasure.  I have a bad habit of buying them for friends, but don't own one myself.

I have used them on waterfowl and upland birds and I can't think of a single thing I'd change.

They're made in the UP and can be had any way you like.  If you're in the area you can watch them work, and their show room is beyond description.  It's particularly fun to pick out a knife in person and then have it personalized while you watch.

http://rapidriverknifeworks.us/finandfeather.aspx

Dave Erickson

Many years ago I had a little Western Bird Knife. Loved it. Still living at home with my parents I'd clean grouse in the garage and wrap up the feathers and guts in the local newspaper. To this day I can remember the night and bundle of newspaper holding the grouse guts that hid my little Western Bird Knife, and it was thrown away. Bugs me still after 40 years! 

My new favorite is a Rapala Classic Birch Bird Knife. Priced for losing.

https://www.rapala.com/rapala/knives/hunting-knives/3.75-classic-birch-bird-knife/CBBK4.html

airmedic1
37 minutes ago, Dave Erickson said:

Many years ago I had a little Western Bird Knife. Loved it. Still living at home with my parents I'd clean grouse in the garage and wrap up the feathers and guts in the local newspaper. To this day I can remember the night and bundle of newspaper holding the grouse guts that hid my little Western Bird Knife, and it was thrown away. Bugs me still after 40 years! 

My new favorite is a Rapala Classic Birch Bird Knife. Priced for losing.

https://www.rapala.com/rapala/knives/hunting-knives/3.75-classic-birch-bird-knife/CBBK4.html

I have one of these, it's a nice little knife and works well.

AM

oak stob

Old Timer 1940T...a liner-lock honed fine....kept in zippered bird vest pocket for chores.

Memorable, as it is the knife which led to the accident involving a hunting buddy, a donut and me....which could make a great country song, come to think on it.

fishvik

Remington 870 bird hunter.

NECarson

I'm looking at some of the Bark River offerings, for basically the same thing. 

mccuha
19 minutes ago, NECarson said:

I'm looking at some of the Bark River offerings, for basically the same thing. 

I’ve looked at the bark river.  They are a nice looking knife 

Auto-5

I bought a bark river but frankly found the convex edge a pain to sharpen. Luckily someone else took a shine to it and I sold it to him. Certainly a well made knife but there are others to chose from.

NECarson
36 minutes ago, mccuha said:

I’ve looked at the bark river.  They are a nice looking knife 

They are nice looking, but they feel better. Granted, it's subjective based on hand size and such... 

They balance very well, and are very well proportioned. Definitely designed to be used. 

kgb
41 minutes ago, Auto-5 said:

I bought a bark river but frankly found the convex edge a pain to sharpen. Luckily someone else took a shine to it and I sold it to him. Certainly a well made knife but there are others to chose from.

My Marbles deer knives are edged that way, I sold all but one and it's cleaned 2 deer without seeming to dull although an unzip and organ removal isn't really hard use. I'll have to send it somewhere if/when it needs help.

Craig Doherty

I often filet out the grouse breast meat for clients and wanted something a little longer than the traditional bird knife.  Found the damascus blade on a knife supply website and the Evil Clowne had someone here on UJ make-up a pair for us.  Great tool.

fullsizeoutput_1ca.thumb.jpeg.c034b2b38fcfc18e4630ef8f7ec7ef57.jpeg

EDIT: This might be the blade we used -- Damascus filet blade

mccuha
10 hours ago, NECarson said:

They are nice looking, but they feel better. Granted, it's subjective based on hand size and such... 

They balance very well, and are very well proportioned. Definitely designed to be used. 

are you looking at one of there micro knives? I thought about getting one of those and carrying it in my pocket as an every day carry.  I just couldn't decide which one I liked best. They are all cool.