FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
max2

Chainsaw - modern day

max2

The old husky rancher has been a great saw but recently the oiler wasn't oil'n properly. To busy with work to mess with trying to fix it myself. I dropped it at the shop &  they informed me two week turn around time.  I have been chunk'n in free time after work and Sundays & splitting  is in the same time frame.. Back in the spring I replaced my old little stihl - 011 with a little stihl homeowner saw for 159.99 promotional I think but a good little trim saw. When i said to the Husky dealer - oh man two weeks ! - He smiled and replied I will sell you a new saw to get you there if you like . I smiled back and said- we will see.

What saw would you get if you had to "today" - 18inch to 20 inch I have found to be the perfect bar length for the type work it will be doing for me. Chunk'n off a log pile.  

Greg Hartman

It wouldn't be Sthil.  My big saw is a Stihl and I have had plenty of problems with it.  I have a couple 25-30 year old Echos that work perfectly (but they are trim saws and have each been re-built a couple of times).  

NW River Mac

I don't have a brand preference as I think Stihl and Husqvarna are both good tools.  Although around here I see more pros with Stihls.  If I were younger and planning on cutting off a log pile for the foreseeable future I would spend a lot more money and get a pro type saw.  Ranchers are a good step in the right direction (I have one) but not big enough to get the job done quick enough for me.  

Grouseman_1

I have a Stihl can’t remember for sure but I think it’s a 261. I’ve been very happy with it. 

Mike

Samuel Hoggson

Brand:  Husky or Stihl.  Have/had both.  Ford vs Chevy stuff on the interwebs.  Lots of friends living in central ME actually use them to feed their families (unlike me).  Interestingly, these guys don't bash either brand.  They might bash a dealer.  Buy the dealer.

HP:  As with car racing, speed costs.  How fast do you want to go?  The professional lines from Stihl and Husky will give you better performance and better power/weight.  Translates as time. 

Bucking piles:  Time valuable?  I use a 394 with 24" bar.  Exclusively.  Big, heavy, expensive, thirsty but it will turn a pile of trees into 18-20" lengths faster than any 3-4 CI saw.  Stick the bar right to the hilt - it will not bind.  Decades ago Dad and I started on opposite sides of a big pile of 4' stuff at his place.  New 394 and his .024.  "You don't need that thing".  "Dad, I gotta fly."  Couple tanks and I was in the middle - looked like he had just started.  Eye opener.  Was working in a hospital 80-100 hrs week back then.  So.....  

To be fair, still use a little 336, Dad's .024, and a 371.  General purpose sweet spot is between 3 and 4 CI, assuming professional model.  If I could only have one it would be the 371XP.             

gunsrus

Husky 562XP is a beast . for small stuff Echo CS341 . I have been tempted by the Stihl MS261.

Dave Medema

I needed to add a bigger saw this month and ended up with the Stihl 261.  Its from the pro lines and has been a great machine so far.  I'm clearing a 6 acre lot by hand and my 20 year old 023 wasn't quite up to the task.  There are two Stihl dealers/service within a 4 miles.  Husky was on the other side of two.  For that reason alone, I went Stihl.  

Airedale from NY

A used big old heavy Homelite 410 was my first chainsaw purchase some forty something years ago,  shortly later got me a little Echo arbor saw for limbing work. used those two for many years, cut a ton of wood with them and they are still running today. In later years I tried a couple of midsize saws, a Poulan Pro and another Homelite, was not impressed with either. Next up was a Husqvarna mid size which was a good saw and I liked it a lot, some thief liked it more and stole it. The little Echo I had always impressed me so I decided to try a midsize in that brand and purchased one a few years ago and as with the first Echo it did not fail to impress me. So much so I decided to semi retire the big heavy Homelite 410 and go ahead and purchase the big Echo "Timberwolf" and have to say so far it is the best and most powerful chainsaw I have ever ran. The question now is if the Timberwolf holds up as well as the other two Echos and the old Homelite, if it does I would consider all three of those Echo saws to be some of the best mechanical purchases I have ever made.

Al

Brad Eden

image.jpeg

I had a big ass heavy Huskie for a lot of years. That's back when I burned wood, cut my own wood from my woodlot, and/or got tree length or bolts delivered, which I bucked up and split etc. With oil and pellet heat now I don't cut firewood, but did a load of reclamation to our property. I know this isn't Paul Bunyan material....but this Stihl 180 can handle a lot more than one might think. Slick little cutter.

WPG Gizmo

We use Husky and Stihl at work we also have a Jonsered given the choice of saw (that means I got there first) the Jonsered will cut circles around the others this saw it likely 10 + years old and still runs like a champ.  Not a big fan of the Stihl saws the one I have at home is a Husky. 

salmontogue

We heat with wood although our year-round house has central heat as does our lake house.  Both locations have wood-fired antique cookstoves and multiple fireplaces and parlor stoves. I like the feel and ambiance of wood heat as well as enjoying cutting and splitting with the great exercise that goes with it..  Eight cords will easily cover the requirements of both, including more finely split stove wood.

I use a Timberwolf splitter powered by a 13HP Honda that is powerful, efficient, will split four ways and, best of all, is QUIET.  I have had a variety of saws but the best are easily Stihl and Husqvarna.  This is logging country so parts and service is easy.

My current saw group in includes a Stihl 019 (currently MS193T) with a 14" bar used mostly in climbing and trimming, something I do less these days, age does have its limitations.  The second is a Stihl 027 Pro 18" (MS261CMQ)which is a great general use saw.  The third is a Stihl 046 Magnum (now MS461R).  Finally a Stihl MS 661.  I use the last two primarily for cutting to length and am extremely careful to avoid exhaustion, they are heavy and powerful, not always the best combination.  I use pro chain on all but the 019T.

I wear chainsaw chaps, eye protection and gloves that repel saw chain.  A JD 4720 moves tree length and cut/split wood.

A log truck load of tree length hardwood will carry us for at least two and one-half years.  I like this almost as much as hunting.

Perk

MUSTANGER7

Check out the Shindawa's I've worn out one (cleared 20 acres and cut about 20 cords a year) and working on second just don't cut much any more. NEVER had any problems with them other than replacing chains and bars

oak stob

Always an interesting topic...like tires and shoelaces.

I recently asked the same question re a saw for my SIL..I asked a person I respect and clearly has experience.

A good Husky was the response.....model whatever as I forget.

Fact is tho, respected folks with experience differ....just like biologists differ regarding gamebird issues.

I have run Stihl saws and products around the house and in oilfield chores for 40 + years.....abused them terribly....firewood is not a chainsaws only work. Tossed them about, yanked stuff and threw dirt in the cutting and much more. Never failed, stihl always stayed frosty...anecdote 127.

Still, I also hear from a forestry buddy that Huskys have a bit more low end oomph than stihl so....each have their proponents and selling points.

I suspect were I to get another saw, it would be a pro Husky.....just because.

Keep ‘em sharpened , have enough saw for the job and use correctly...stihl or husky will serve one well.....probably some jons too.

One chainsaw I do despise, just to rant along, a McCullough...still have one down in the basement and were I to again run a trotline on the river, it stands ready to serve as a trotline weight.

Jazz4Brazo

I had/have a small McCullough that just wouldn't die...until recently when ethanol gas got it (though even that I cleaned out with some tinkering...did I mention I hate this whole fake subsidized ethanol market crap!!!) and the bar oil tank cap threads warped and oil leaked...replaced it this spring with a Husky 🙂 so I can bring it up to Maine this fall for ya if ya need a boat anchor!!

oak stob
38 minutes ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

I had/have a small McCullough that just wouldn't die...until recently when ethanol gas got it (though even that I cleaned out with some tinkering...did I mention I hate this whole fake subsidized ethanol market crap!!!) and the bar oil tank cap threads warped and oil leaked...replaced it this spring with a Husky 🙂 so I can bring it up to Maine this fall for ya if ya need a boat anchor!!

This one won’t die either, which is why I’m hoping to drown the SOB and, it’s not a boat anchor use, rather it is a trotline weight....A boat anchor implies too much respect. 😃