FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Up North

Tracked skid steer recommendations?

Up North

Looking to buy a tracked skid steer used, and around 60 hp range. What should I look for, and look out for? Thx.

oak stob

watermen

Older bobcat with   2000 hours is just broken in.  Might have to fix some little stuff..  They claim it was the best of those type of machines made.  course melroe guys call the rest copycats.

Anything with a 3 as the last number was always highly thought of.  No tracks yet though.

Up North

2011 Case TR320 not to far away. Anyone familiar with one?

rich223

What are you going to use it for, any specific job? When looking at used construction equipment the first thing I would look at is its appearance does it look like it was maintained? Or abused? How many hours are on it, and since your looking at a track machine obviously do the tracks need to be replaced, how do the drive sprockets and the rest of the under carriage looks like. And lastly drive it or if you’re buying it from a Dealer ask to demo it for a few days with the option that if it works for you to your liking that you would buy it. You will have to agree on a price before you demo the machine of course.

rich223

I was just looking at trading my 2006 New Holland C185 on a 2018 New Holland C237. Now Case and New Holland are the same machines the TR320 is 60hp and theC237 is 75Hp. One other thing I forgot to mention is the auxiliary hydraulic flow do you want standard flow or do you need high flow? If you are going to use a mulching head you WILL NEED HIGH FLOW standard flow will operate mulching heads.

Up North
56 minutes ago, rich223 said:

What are you going to use it for, any specific job? When looking at used construction equipment the first thing I would look at is its appearance does it look like it was maintained? Or abused? How many hours are on it, and since your looking at a track machine obviously do the tracks need to be replaced, how do the drive sprockets and the rest of the under carriage looks like. And lastly drive it or if you’re buying it from a Dealer ask to demo it for a few days with the option that if it works for you to your liking that you would buy it. You will have to agree on a price before you demo the machine of course.

We are completing a new house build, and there is alot of landscaping to do. We also have a 1/2 mile long driveway that needs alot of attention to get it in shape, plus Winter snow removal. If I find in a couple years I don’t have a use for it I will sell it again.

25/06

We have 6 catipillar skid steers with tracks 4 without tracks oldest 3 years old newest bought last week they are really high production machines especially when cutting dirt and leveling grade... we no longer have a regular small dozer with 6 way blade.

We work vertical constructiin and all the guys want tracks until the ground freezes then no one wants them

I would get  Bobcat or Catepillar.... Stay away from John Deere and New Holland unless they are under warranty 

25/06
23 hours ago, Up North said:

We are completing a new house build, and there is alot of landscaping to do. We also have a 1/2 mile long driveway that needs alot of attention to get it in shape, plus Winter snow removal. If I find in a couple years I don’t have a use for it I will sell it again.

For this type of work I would go with wheels you can get alot more machine and newer for the money.... I say this unless you are working in sugar sand or continually wet clay.

I would also look ar the newer JCB loader with a side door. These side door units would be much more convienent and safe as you can get in and out of the thing while holding a load.

We now have 3 Cat extenda boom fork lifts that can use all skidsteer attachments. The side doors are really handy and the  square tube booms work well for backfilling. These run about same money as large tracked loader and are much more versitile except for digging

New rubber tracks run about $4,000 avout 3 times the cost of tires... Prices are now coming down

Edited by 25/06
Spelling

Up North

I have heard that JD seem to have alot of engine failures. What issues does Case have?

25/06

I am not the expert on them but our mechanics and guys in the field were having lots of drive train and pump issues.... especially the safety interlock system

Remeber we have cats for last 3 years. JohnDeere for 2 years before that and Case/ Newholland before that so  our perspecrive is now getting dated

Brad Eden

I had a tree guy drop and remove 3 ancient and huge Pines last winter. One man operation. He used a small skid steer that he stood up in with forks in front. It was unreal what he did with that small unit with slash, limbs and heavy 12-15 foot trunk logs. Mind boggling really.

bobman

I would get one with wheels and sub out anything that needed to be done with tracks

tracked vehicles are maintenance hungry and a PITA to work on

and I would do as little landscaping as possible its just one more thing you have to maintain when you want to be fishing my next house is going to have a lawn and that's it

vabirddog

Per the snow removal. If you have a sloped driveway in a cold clime you will not be happy with tracks.  Tracks are superior for most landscaping especially on existing grass, etc. ymmv

Altahunter

I have an ASV RC50 the tracked units work well in softer terrain and don't tear up the yard nearly as bad. Downside is the long term undercarriage and track costs are much higher.