dogrunner

Alpha range.

dogrunner

I wanted to see how far my collars would reach. So I turned them on and threw them in my truck bed and left in my car. Well they worked farther than I thought and still knew the direction. One is a big collar and the other a small one. 

3C11C1BA-8B62-4277-AB22-53EE51B3FC89.jpeg

135CE343-8858-4302-8755-FA5F8E59DE61.jpeg

nobirdshere

Did you turn the handheld off or get a warning that it lost signal? I fired mine up a few weeks ago before I turned on the collar and it told me Pete was 172 miles northwest of me. This was accurate as to where it had its last reading and had I actually left Pete in the woods. Once I turned on the collar, it adjusted. Doesn't the question mark show that it lost the dog? Mine has never failed me in the woods, but I would be surprised if even the big collar had that much actual range.

Flush

You do realize your handheld is not currently communicating with the collar, right? That's why there is a ? shown instead of dog symbol.

The arrow will always point towards the last known location of the collar, so even if you were 1,000 miles away the unit would still give you an accurate distance and direction to where the collar WAS. In your case it's accurate because the collars aren't moving. In the real world  if you lost communication, and the dog moved, you have no idea where the dog is, only where the handheld last had communication.

I've used Astro and then Alpha collars from the time they first came out. Many years, many different collars, on many different dogs.

I have big running dogs that are very often over 500 yards away. 

When the dogs are actually wearing the collars and moving, it's very common to intermittently lose communication at anything over 500 yards, even in open western terrain.

Over 1000 yards you are almost guaranteed to lose contact as much as you have it.

I've done real world testing (on dogs over 500 yards) on real dogs 100's if not 1000's of times. Over 1000 yards, Garmins are not reliable communication. You will likely pick up the dog, but only intermittently. You will pick up the dog but then as you or the dog moves, you will lose communication.

Will the unit pick up the dog when it's over 1000 yards away? Maybe, but I guarantee you,  when you and the dog are moving you are going to lose communication. If you are in rolling or hilly terrain it's far worse.

Is it possible the unit will make contact at multiple miles? Yes, sometimes, but anything over 1000 yards is suspect at best. Many trialers still use radio telemetry units instead of Garmins for this reason. The ranges that Garmin advertises are a complete farse in the real world.

dogrunner

Well I thought it was still communicating because it always knew the distance, I guess not.  On the way home it signaled both collars at  .68 of a mile. When I drove away again it lost it at about the same distance.  I thought they would go farther than that, both collars were equal in distance so the smaller works just as good as the bigger one. So much for there 8 or 9 miles and this was on flat ground.  

Flush

.68 miles sounds about right.

Their claimed ranges are completely unrealistic.

dgfavor

Closest I ever lost communication was 32yds when dog ducked down below rimrocks...got rid of the Garmin as I preferred to have a better recovery device than an intermittent tracking device.  ;)