topdog1961

Skin/No Skin?...Electric?

topdog1961

More follow up on the skin vs no skin testing that I am conducting. Perhaps I rushed to judgment on my post about my new found liking for the skin on. I even called the older gent up that I've been fishing with and told him how much I like it. We vowed to use his scaler on all the panfish we catch this year. 

And the freshly fried gills with the skin on were fantastic, worth the extra effort, initially. I believe the skin added to the taste. But the next day when I warmed up some leftover fish in the microwave, it was chewy. It had a much tougher texture than reheated gills with no skin.  This is a problem for me, as I love leftovers. And that's a good thing, because my wife suffers from RA and sometimes cooking a meal is a struggle for her. So when she does, she makes way more than we need and I just warm it up for several additional meals. A couple days later she may cook another big mess of something, to the point they over lap in the fridge and I typically have several choices of leftovers to choose from. Fish, venison brats, venison steak, and chili and stews are staples. I'm not picky, but he chewy fish isn't as appetizing as leftover skinless fish. 

For this reason I'm going back to no skin. My fishing buddy will be disappointed his scaler won't get much use. 

sharptail grouse

That scaler looks like a hassle to clean. I go skinless on bluegills or any other fish except salmon.

"A big one will fill up a skillet or a dinner plate."

ShelbyLowndes - you must have a line on some immense bluegills. Or you have a small skillet 😊

Snipeaholic

This is me skinning and boning a fish for our retail counter. It's a Kitty Mitchell grouper that was caught in the Gulf of Mexico and landed in Tarpon Springs, FL. I spend a good bit of time at the cutting table and have for more years than I care to remember.

Big Al
4 hours ago, Snipeaholic said:

This is me skinning and boning a fish for our retail counter. It's a Kitty Mitchell grouper that was caught in the Gulf of Mexico and landed in Tarpon Springs, FL. I spend a good bit of time at the cutting table and have for more years than I care to remember.

There's some good eatin. 

dogrunner
On 3/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, Snipeaholic said:

Never seen bones pulled out like that before. I want to see you do a small bluegill or perch when your hands are frozen. 😉