FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
aje4

Fall is in the air...how many heat with wood or pellets?

ruffneck

Feels mighty fine when it 0 and the winds howlin... and I dont hear my oil kick on. !!

Brad Eden
9 hours ago, aje4 said:

Brad, why does using the thermostat bother you with the pellet stove?  I find mine very useful and convenient?  Once the cold really sets in here it tends to run the entire time until my forced hot air is scheduled to come on.  This allows me to clean it when needed....

I don't know, it seems to make it work harder. Probably just me.

ScottGrush

We run a fire in a Buck Stove fireplace insert all season long. I've said it before my wife is like the coal man on a locomotive tossing hunks of oak into that thing. Much to my chagrin. 

Unfortunately we have discovered oak wilt on the club property where I live and cut my wood and the Club has suspended firewood cutting until Dec. 1. 

Of course this was the year I am behind on my woodpile and will likely have to buy a cord to round out this years resource. 

JQSk6F7l.jpg

Canuck

Just about ready. Got a few cords stacked at the back door.

k3wrNZZ.jpg

25/06

Do any of you guys use corn in your pellet furnaces or have a specific corn kernal stove?

I am working on a detached garage shop, I was going to put propane in but this thread got me to thinking.

I do not have time or motivation to cut wood and pellets are fairly high but other than a spike a few years ago corn

here at least would be dirt cheap.

I would not use heat all the time but I would like to be able to leave it unattended  overnight on occasions if possible.

Thoughts?

Canuck
38 minutes ago, 25/06 said:

Thoughts?

Does a pellet stove have a chimney? If so, throw some butter and salt in at the same time, go outside and it's raining popcorn!!!!

25/06
31 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Does a pellet stove have a chimney? If so, throw some butter and salt in at the same time, go outside and it's raining popcorn!!!!

Wrong kind of corn but folks do raise popcorn here too.

I know it is not as traditional or as nice as wood but I have heard of a number of people doing it. At the time I

never thought to ask details.

Canuck

Hey if it warms you up and it's cheap, you may be on to something.

Better than feeding the corn to buffalo and burning the "chips".

zhtrainer

Burned wood, now coal in a stoker boiler hot water baseboard set-up, and am thinking about switching to a propane fired boiler in the near future.

max2

Just break'n for lunch  ~ The bottom of the log pile is in sight .... 

Korthaar

I have a stove I use for the ambiance. It heats my tv room and kitchen nicely. I like the smell and the type of heat. Electric heat is a joke. Only use 1-2  cords a year. I prefer to sleep in the cold under lots of blankets. I keep the upstairs cold.

BBlizzard18

We started our first fire of the season yesterday.  I try to hold off as long as possible...it was 38 outside, and 54 in our kitchen at 5:30 in the morning.  10 cords roughly a year through our old Fisher Mama Bear, supplement with oil, but only fill the tank once every 2-3 years.  We have a good sized wood lot so it makes sense for now.  

Kansas Big Dog

I have a New Englander woodstove I use for all the heating. Small earth contact house very well built. Plus, here in KS, usually don't fire it up until Nov. Usually burn 2 to 3 cords a year. Cut my own wood in about 3 or 4 days. Because it is earth contact with solar heating those southern facing windows, can leave in middle of winter and pipes would never freeze even with no heat. But remember, there are no birds in KS, never have been.

Steve Hunts

Growing up in New England we always had a wood stove and plenty of wood for heat.

When I bought this house in Montana 22 yrs ago it had a wood stove down stairs and electric baseboards. But it didn't take long to figure out that burning soft woods in a stove here was going to be a problem. I would have to get up early in the morning to refill the firebox and get the stove going and that was not fun. Instead of burning maple, cherry, etc and getting an 8 hr fire I was burning pine and other crap that burned hot but for only 4 hrs or so.

When the city offered me a deal to go with natural gas I jumped on it. We have a stove that looks like a wood stove with fake logs, glass front, etc but does a reasonable job of heating the split level house until the temps get down to the single digits. Then we add in some baseboard electric. The kitchen has a radiant heater in the ceiling that produces a good amount of heat as well. 

This system has been pretty good over the years but takes some "creative" settings on the thermostats to get things balanced right. The wife and kids don't have a clue as to how to do this so I'm telling them to keep their mitts off the thermostats from Oct-April.

Brad Eden

35 degrees this morning in mid Maine..furnace is cranking to get house up to temp. Won't start with pellets stove until things really get frigid day long.