FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
aje4

Fall is in the air...how many heat with wood or pellets?

dogrunner

I don’t burn wood but I know where a nice stack is. 

4659A153-BB5E-412B-8DFF-0342D0CC2ECB.jpeg

Brock A

We put an addition on our house last year and I went with a wood stove in it. I really like wood stove heat and yes, putting up firewood for the year is alot of work but I enjoy it. I have 5 chords stacked right now. I am holding out to burn until at least October 1st! It was pretty chilly this AM though here in Western WA.

max2
16 hours ago, Brock A said:

. I really like wood stove heat and yes, putting up firewood for the year is alot of work but I enjoy it. I have 5 chords stacked right now. 

This is pretty much how I feel about it.  As far as all the work involved in wood heat I would add this ....... I like it .... I just can't get used to it....

ARKBRDHUNTER

We use wood as a primary heat source. Bought a new stove last year and it will run you out of the house. I allowed a natural gas company to run a pipeline across my property and told them to just push the hard woods into the wood and I would use it for wood. The contractor came by and said why don't you let us remove the root balls and include in the general clean up which I thought was nice. I have enough trees laid down and pretty dry to last me a couple of years. Now that it is cooling off I need to cut them up and haul them in before bird season. 

Wants to Retire

I enjoy cutting wood. Even after almost loosing a toe to a chainsaw. If I'm idle too long I start loosing my mind. 

Used firewood to teach my kids the value of hard work. This will be the first year the house is empty ☹️ as they have moved out. I enjoy working as a family (even if they did not). 

Remember wood heats you several times over. 

1. When you cut it.

2. Then you load it to be hauled.

3. When you stack it.

4. When you bring it into the house.

5. When you burn it.

"Ain't the cut'n that takes the time. It's the dog gone haul'n!" 

-Beaver from "The Lady &The Tramp"

KIMG0571.JPG

woodduck

We switched over to pellets 6 years ago...still have a wood stove in the basement. With our hectic schedules and young family it's a lot easier to maintain. Fill hopper and we have a nice warm house and stove still going when we get home. 

SODAKer

As a child a grew up in a house that burned coal for heat. I remember helping fuel the fire and thought it was cool. I asked my dad later in life about heating with wood, he replied, "sure is nice to be able to come home and just turn up the thermostat". Still burns a little wood in the basement wood stove, but I think more for nostalgia and just not being able to let go so to speak.