FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
MAArcher

Pipe tobacco - I hate change

MAArcher

Its been some time since I've smoked a nice pipe but with cooler weather here, my back porch was calling me the other night.  So I loaded up a pipe (hand made by me) with some McClelland Blackwoods Flake, noticing I was low, and headed to the porch with a Jack and Coke and my new puppy Wes to relaxed for a few hours in the dark.

Next day, remembering I was low on one of my favorite blend, I found this:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/farewell-mcclelland

Why must all good things come to an end?

john mcg

I will miss the Virginia Red Flake. So tasty to sip.

I will also miss the Frog Morton stuff.

However, there are a great many others to choose from.

Marc Ret

Damn! That sucks. Been a fan of their tobaccos for decades, especially Frog Morton. 

MAArcher

A different smoke than Blackwoods, more of a daily smoke for me, is Rattray's Hall O' the Wynd. 

Not sure what's up but that's out of stock everywhere so I just bought three tins at 4noggins, the only place I saw that has it.  

Just like that, the only two brands I smoke are going or gone?  Did I mention I hate change?  Can't people just leave well enough alone?

NCgrouse

Look up and order Boswell's Northwoods. Its all you need in a nice hearty smoky pipe tobacco. Search is over. 

john mcg

Another of my favorites a friend shared with me back in 2009 is Hearth & Home 'Trout Stream'.

I still have a ounce or so that I jarred in October of that year.

Its a treat on a cool evening out doors.

Bloodhound

That MC is gone, is a very sad thing....but Cornell & Diehl and GL Pease and others are still going strong and make some great blends.  Try C&D Mountain Camp for a nice smoky English.  This is a chance to try some great blends and find a new favorite.

TJK68

I have a few tins of McClelland put back, Deep Hollow, Frog Morton, etc.. but hate it is gone as well. As stated above some of the Boswell English blends are quite good.

FlyChamps

I have 2 unopened tins of McClelland's Full Balkan Reserve.  After McClelland closed I ordered 2 tins of Cornell & Diehl's Star of the East Flake, which is a good 50% Latakia blend, which I also like.

kgb

If they ever come up with a "pipe-smoke" candle I hope you guys get some input.  That's provided it smells as good to me as it tastes to you.

ccavacini

I still have 5 tins of McClelland's tobacco, Including Blackwoods.   Here is the site I buy all my pipe (and sometimes pipes) tobacco from.  Tremendous number of choices.

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/

MAArcher
On 9/13/2018 at 8:42 AM, ccavacini said:

I still have 5 tins of McClelland's tobacco, Including Blackwoods.   Here is the site I buy all my pipe (and sometimes pipes) tobacco from.  Tremendous number of choices.

https://www.tobaccopipes.com/

Let me know if you'd part with the Blackwoods, I'd give you a good price.  

ccavacini
1 hour ago, MAArcher said:

Let me know if you'd part with the Blackwoods, I'd give you a good price.  

Tell you what.  I'll keep the tin unopened.  Maybe someday we'll meet up and share a bowl.

MAArcher
10 minutes ago, ccavacini said:

Tell you what.  I'll keep the tin unopened.  Maybe someday we'll meet up and share a bowl.

Reason enough to one day find my way to southern Michigan!